If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Best Birth Control - And It's for Men!

WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
edited Mar 2012 in The Pub
So, apparently there is a form of birth control that is simple, inexpensive, and very easily reversible. For some reason it isn't well known. I've heard many conversations regarding, "if only there was a birth control pill for men..." Well, this is even better.

http://techcitement.com/culture/the-best-birth-control-in-the-world-is-for-men/

Comments

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    See also the Wired article, which gave this topic a thorough treatment last year.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Also: not yet available in the US.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    My vas deferens, my choice!
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    John Boehner, upon hearing about male birth control: These liberal-commie-pinkos can't take away my boners!
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    I'm game. When the wife and I are ready to stop for sure, I'll be looking into this 100%.

Another study of the procedure also found that the mechanism that makes this work may also halt transmission of HIV from infected men. That's a huge win if it pans out.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    RISUG has been proven functional for YEARS, and you still can't get it in the US. Dudes are flying to India and shaving their balls for it. Personally, I love the science behind it.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    sounds like an itchy flight back.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Sounds fantastic!
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I don't know. I personally feel birth control (outside of condoms, though flawed, I know) for both sexes is a place where I'd rather not be and find it a bit strange. Since when were condoms not enough? I'm no holy roller, pro-lifer, etc... just not a fan of having both sexes feel like they need to go to great lenghts just to enjoy "natural" sex and get that without the consequences of pregnancy.

Condoms are a great idea and I totally agree with using them, and damn often. Why have we constantly made women (especially) feel like they should be the ones to take that extra step in preventing pregnancy by adding birth control chemicals (pills) to their bodies? Why not continue to put forth the knowledge and time in designing a better more fool proof condom?

The statements (only a couple) sometimes heard from younger men (and older) and some women such as, "I like the feel without them", "condoms feel unnatural when we're intimate" and "why should I have to wrap up and she has to do nothing?" (yes, I've heard this on many occassion) are, in my mind, ridiculous. We're having sex while trying to prevent getting pregnant, that would seem "out of nature" to begin with, wouldn't it? That unnatural feel that people have mentioned (not here, but in social gatherings, overheard while out and about, etc...) wouldn't be overshadowed by the fact that someone hacked away at the inside of your balls not a month earlier? Or maybe the pill or other chemically charged birth control has put your cycle on a schedule, but is out of whack and needs time to adjust when you need to stop being on them for a while? Just a few examples.

Why should you have to wrap it up when she has to do nothing? Because you selfish sack, your internal organs aren't affected when you have a condom on, her insides and chemical balance are when the more widely understood/accepted female method of birth control is used, and for prolonged periods of time.

For those men who hate condoms, what is so hard about taking a couple seconds and popping on a better designed and more fail proof condom? If one were designed, would you? If not, Is it that tough to toss some baby batter in a rubber and throw it away instead of in her and making her body deal with it? Things like birth control pills, surgeries, implants, etc... seem like a better option at times I'm sure, but at what cost? Prolonged exposure issues, bodily rejections, etc...who knows? At least with a better built condom the probably of health/mental issues goes way down. Personally, not a place I would chose to to go nor prefer my spouse go either. I'll keep with the little rubber discs in our nightstands.

I'll get off my soapbox now and prepare for the barage of comments that may, or may not come.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    Because two forms of birth control is the only method to achieve 99.99% protection. Condoms are especially fallible.
    My swimmers defeated the pill.... Just sayin!
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    As a father of two experienced in the process of creating said children, I can say that condoms are not the preferred method with which to experience the procreative process. This applies both to feeling, and the interruption of intimacy. Also, as @Thrax states, they're not foolproof by any means.

The method in this article takes the best of all available options. Effectiveness of a vasectomy (nearly 100%) with less pain and easier reversal.

Cost isn't really a factor unless it ends up being utterly ridiculous and not covered by insurance once it finally does arrive on our shores. As I commented on @RyanMM's G+ post, even if it's $1000 or more, I would consider it 100% worth it.

It's also environmentally friendly. No packaging/waste.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    I'm confused. RISUG takes the risk and responsibility away from the woman, which sounds like it's what you're for. It's less error-prone (or sabotage-prone, if you want to go there) than any condom is, requires no monthly or any other ritual besides the once-on, once-off activation, is reversible in ways that vasectomies can only dream of...

Nobody's making the "thank God I don't have to wear a condom anymore" argument as far as I can tell - this is a better overall solution for everybody, and you're still going to have to wrap it if you don't want to get STDs from $partner_of_choice.
    It definitely isn't a binary choice, but the choice in birth control is a cost-benefit analysis with risk of failure thrown in somewhere. Every type has a pro/con list with risk level attached to it and this one seems to have a very nice pro-list, very minimal con-list and almost no risk of failure
    RISUG has been proven to work 100 percent of the time. Among the hundreds of men who have been successfully injected with the compound so far in clinical trials, there has not been a single failure or serious adverse reaction
    Read the Wired article before down-voting, or be forever damned to an irrational standpoint (which you are certainly entitled to hold, but expect challenges)
    Because two forms of birth control is the only method to achieve 99.99% protection. Condoms are especially fallible.

Wear a condom and pull out. Solved =D
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    I'm going to go on a limb and say that I think Diablo 3 is going to be a better cheaper alternative form of birth control for men.
    I hope you're not actually serious.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Eggroll out of NOWHERE.
    @Rolleggroll - You should patent this method immediately.
    Driving home, I'll respond more when I get home and not sitting in traffic.
    Driving home, I'll respond more when I get home and not sitting in traffic.
    True sign of being hooked
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    EGGROLL FROM THE SIDEHATCH
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Finally, proof that men can be sluts too.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    EGGROLL RAINING ON A CLOUDLESS DAY LIKE A BOSS
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited Mar 2012
    http://www.newmalecontraception.org/ for more information. Condoms are failboat.
    Finally, proof that men can be sluts too.
    Who needs proof?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    If this ever comes stateside, will insurance have to cover it?

If so, where should I send my sex tapes to so Rush can see them?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    If this ever comes stateside, will insurance have to cover it?
    My first thought was that insurance needn't come into play because the shot is so cheap.
    But then I realized that a doc has to get paid to do this. My guess is that it would be no more expensive than a routine visit. Insurance might very well cover the cost once they realize the cost of this procedure is far less than something like an IUD, vasectomy, or unexpected pregnancy.
    Well, this was a fun topic to explore, lol! =D

I responded to most. I don't intend to come off as a jerk or as some kind of knowitall asshole. That post was just my opinion and my perspective. Unfortunately, there is no tone in writing, so fuck it, love me or hate me. Here goes...

Women were the biggest part of my post, I know. Unfortunately, they're the ones that have had the most avenues offered when it comes to birth control. My intent was not to rant on removing responsibility and risk from them, but working on an improvement to a safer method than surgery or chemicals that can damn near remove health risks from BOTH the male and female and still provide them with a pleasurable time doing carnal things.

Do I make a strong stand for condoms? Yes? Do I think they can be improved upon? Hell Yes, without question!
    As a father of two experienced in the process of creating said children, I can say that condoms are not the preferred method with which to experience the procreative process. This applies both to feeling, and the interruption of intimacy. Also, as @Thrax states, they're not foolproof by any means.

The method in this article takes the best of all available options. Effectiveness of a vasectomy (nearly 100%) with less pain and easier reversal.

Cost isn't really a factor unless it ends up being utterly ridiculous and not covered by insurance once it finally does arrive on our shores. As I commented on @RyanMM's G+ post, even if it's $1000 or more, I would consider it 100% worth it.

It's also environmentally friendly. No packaging/waste.
    I never stated that people can't or shouldn't do what they want. I put my opinion out there on chemicals and surgery and condom improvement. Much like you've put your opinion here about the feeling and interruption of intimacy when a condom is used. In some eyes you're right and in others your wrong. It doesn't matter, it's your opinion and completely entitled to it ;) I never disagreed with Thrax at saying they were foolproof. I also stated in my second sentence
    (outside of condoms, though flawed, I know)
    Yeah, I'm not touching on costs or insurance. That will bring up another topic that we'd all debate on until the world ends, lol!

Technically there is the compound mixture waste, medical waste, etc...they're both not too friendly for the environment I'm sure. Hahaha!

I hope you're not actually serious.
    (Disregarding the STD variable) Isn't the end result of a sexual encounter in this realm of discussion (intimate or any other type) that both parties reach orgasm without pregnancy? Objective completed, right? Aside of personal preferences what else is really needed?
    I'm confused. RISUG takes the risk and responsibility away from the woman, which sounds like it's what you're for. It's less error-prone (or sabotage-prone, if you want to go there) than any condom is, requires no monthly or any other ritual besides the once-on, once-off activation, is reversible in ways that vasectomies can only dream of...

Nobody's making the "thank God I don't have to wear a condom anymore" argument as far as I can tell - this is a better overall solution for everybody, and you're still going to have to wrap it if you don't want to get STDs from $partner_of_choice.
    It does take the risk away from women, I'll agree. But what about the possible physical, sexual, and/or mental risk (I am well aware of the 20yr group and that it's still in clinical trials. I am also aware of a possible "no risk", but I must still state, no need to argue that fact) to men that may present themselves down the road? Referring to the statement made @Tushon provided "cost-benefit analysis with risk of failure thrown in somewhere." I know this already and I agree that it is absolutely accurate and it certainly is to each his/her own. I just brought up surgery and chemicals as being the sought after fixes rather than current option improvement in my post/rant.
    I never mentioned the removal of responsibility (correct me if I am wrong in assuming that you're speaking of birth control), that is not what I was going for in my statement. Sex is an act of dual responsibility (not including rape, molestation, etc...) and I fully acknowledge and contend for safe and healthy birth control practices exercised by both parties.
    Error and sabotage numbers between the two are a definitely going to show a major difference. I can't state on those, and won't.
    I know that it's reversible, I never said or argued that it wasn't.
    I agree, no one is making the "Thank God I don't have to..." argument, and I'm thankful it hasn't come up. Depending on your stance with birth control, surgery, etc... it could be a better overall solution, I won't argue against or attack your personal preference. But, if we're still going to need to wrap to protect against STDs, why not develop a better condom that is more efficient (RISUG and Vas numbers efficient) in preventing pregnancy too? That's what I'm going for ;)
    RISUG has been proven to work 100 percent of the time. Among the hundreds of men who have been successfully injected with the compound so far in clinical trials, there has not been a single failure or serious adverse reaction
    I never argued against that bit of info or any other info in that article. "...or serious adverse reaction" stood out. A very minor infection, itchy nuts, testicle falls off, who knows what the reactions were? I chose not to comment on that in my original post because they don't elaborate on it.
    Read the Wired article before down-voting, or be forever damned to an irrational standpoint (which you are certainly entitled to hold, but expect challenges)
    Challenge accepted.

I can see the humorous intent in that, but whoa. Assume much? I didn't outright down-vote it or even bash it. I didn't even disagree with people wanting to get it. I simply made a statement about birth control and talked passionately about improving on one already in worldwide use and my personal feelings towards surgical/chemical methods. "Forever damned to an irrational standpoint", seriously? How is my standpoint that we as a people have come to believe that chemically or surgically altering our bodies in the name of birth control is better than improving upon an already non-surgical/non-chemical based method of birth control irrational? I would have at least thought a mutual respect for differing thoughts would be the contents of your post...not that.
    I'm going to go on a limb and say that I think Diablo 3 is going to be a better cheaper alternative form of birth control for men.
    You're probably more accurate than any of us =D Thanks for the laugh!
    http://www.newmalecontraception.org/ for more information. Condoms are failboat.
    I don't believe anyone has made the statement or assumption that condoms are infallible. In fact I'm positive I said this at the beginning of my post
    (outside of condoms, though flawed, I know)
    Thank the all-powerful Atheismo that this community can engage and respect such differing opinions and ideas.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited Mar 2012
    I can see the humorous intent in that, but whoa. Assume much? I didn't outright down-vote it or even bash it. I didn't even disagree with people wanting to get it. I simply made a statement about birth control and talked passionately about improving on one already in worldwide use and my personal feelings towards surgical/chemical methods. "Forever damned to an irrational standpoint", seriously? How is my standpoint that we as a people have come to believe that chemically or surgically altering our bodies in the name of birth control is better than improving upon an already non-surgical/non-chemical based method of birth control irrational? I would have at least thought a mutual respect for differing thoughts would be the contents of your post...not that.

Thank the all-powerful Atheismo that this community can engage and respect such differing opinions and ideas.
    I'll let others respond to their sections at their leisure. Definitely total sarcasm for the second half. I did want to make sure you read the Wired article, as it did a much more thorough job discussing the "tech" of this very simple solution. :P I thought you knew me better /lulz

Serious: We can certainly (and should) continue to improve on condoms, because, like all other "interior" birth control methods, this offers no protection against STDs. However, the ideal candidates for this (long term relationships w/ known fidelity who do not want kids at this time but may in the future) should be extremely happy to have this as an option. You can certainly choose to opt for a non-surgical, but why run the risk of a typical use 15% failure rate with condoms (assuming nothing else, like oral birth control) when you can have this:
    An hour after the procedure started, Deshpande was on his way home. He had two band-aids on his shaved scrotum, plus a handful of painkillers and a course of ciprofloxacin—Indian doctors do not mess around when it comes to prescribing strong antibiotics. He used the pain pills for a couple of days and felt some tenderness and swelling for a week but no other side effects. There was no recurring scrotal pain, as sometimes happens with a vasectomy; on most days, he forgot that the stuff was in there.

Which, if you think about it, is the goal of any contraceptive (not to mention the theme of endless Trojan condom advertisements): You forget about it. No one had to take a pill every day. Nobody had to have bloating or other side effects. No “accidents.”
    You would never have to think about it until you were ready to have kids. Ever. Just go along your merry way, enjoying your sex sans condom (again, in a long-term relationship, as this has nothing to do with unknown partners) and when you and partner are ready for a little tyke, another quick visit to the doctor and you can start attempting to pop them out. No more oops babies that put crazy strain on couples or the "we got pregnant, guess we have to get married" marriages. No "hold on a sec, let me make sure I put this on right". You can certainly choose to not go that route, but I think this will be an awesome thing for the other 99% who choose to do so. Extremely cheap, set it and forget it, reversible, none of the ill effects of traditional vasectomy. I'm sold.

I had never heard that term and cracked up at the urban dictionary definition.