Why Guild Wars 2 is going to be my MMO

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Pre-ordered and looking forward to it
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    It sounds like they are taking a from the aspects of some of the most popular MMORPG's that are around. I can see some WoW, a dash of Perfect World, and a pinch of Silk Road.
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    I can't wait to play. Have the announced an official release date yet?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I'm looking forward to Guild Wars 2, and have been for some time, but I still don't get the idea of 'end game content'. I know it's important to a lot of MMOers, since they like to play the same game for like 30 years or whatever, but I think I will always prefer to play a game, with or without my friends, from start to finish of the story, then watch the credits roll and move on to another game, no matter how good the game is.
    I can't wait to play. Have the announced an official release date yet?
    No, but beta access is coming shortly to pre-orders and those lucky enough to get random draw
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Beta access already did come to many who signed up and sent in PC specs, too.
  • I played the first Guild Wars and liked it, though by the time I got to it the population was somewhat low. I may give this one a try, it looks like it has most of what I like. On the other hand I'm one of those people that gets way into an MMORPG, then gets bored with it a month or two later... I dunno, I'll see what happens.
    I was not in this group and was unaware/unable to search from work. Cool beans
  • @CB if they follow through anything like the original, the will constantly be bringing you back with more FREE story arcs.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I loved Guild Wars it is the only MMO I ever played that constantly held my attention for a year (While many others such as WoW and SWTOR only managed to keep me interested for a month.)

As I said yesterday my money during the month of June is going to EXPO (Still got to get my fathers permission but he's letting up on his own time) if I have any extra I'm getting this.

Heading straight for elementalist, Ilriyas the Mage shall rise again.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    I'll potentially give this game a try, but I doubt it will be immediate. I tend to like leveling and the initial dungeon grind/raid piece.

@SpencerForHire With the setup of RvR etc. what's the compulsion to be for having larger guilds that aren't focused on those things and instead like raiding? I've seen some of the influence reward options, but just wanted to ask from someone who's done more research than I have.
  • Guild Wars has featured some of the healthiest social communities I have seen in my gaming experiences. In the original, it was likely to have a 100 person guild dedicated to anything from 5 man groups to PvP to being a Jack of all trades guild. There isn't a reason not to have your guild grow and no penalty for it being small.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    @CB if they follow through anything like the original, the will constantly be bringing you back with more FREE story arcs.
    Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North were never free :scratch:
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    edited April 2012
    @fatcat @CB

We should just disregard Sorrows Furnace, Winds of Change, War in Kryta, and Hearts of the North.

Those three expansions were all prior to their Free to Play model. Aside form that, all lasting games have expansions, it seems silly to rag on this one for doing it too.
    heh, I had forgotten those. no rag, you know I love me some GW
  • Great write up Spencer. I also have pre-purchased the game and will be ready for the beta next weekend.
  • timuchantimuchan Fishers, IN Icrontian
    Can't wait for the BWEs :D Hope to see you all in Tyria. ^_^
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    I was not in this group and was unaware/unable to search from work. Cool beans
    Probably partly because the NDA prevents participants from even admitting they are participating in the beta.
    I see

huehuehue
    BTW: first public beta event is next weekend (27-29). I'm guessing I won't be doing anything at least friday night through saturday afternoon and again on sunday.
  • Are we going to be playing on the same server or is everyone splitting off to do their own thing?
  • I would assume if there were servers we would all make on the same one. As I posted in the other GW2 thread, when the actual game releases I'll announce a server for us to all make our home server.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    You'll be able to move freely between servers, which one you create your character on won't matter much. The only thing it will matter for is World vs World (WvW) warfare. At least this is my understanding of things. Unless people are REALLY invested in WvW, you can make whatever server you like your home server and just move to the appropriate server to play with other Icrontians.

EDIT
    Source: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Home_server
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    You're right. You can play on any server, but you can only gain the WvW buffs if your home server wins.
    So, it would make sense to all get on one server to WvW for the buff and glory
  • Yep, specially cause I plan on doing a lot of PvP.
    Just got the email and downloading now. Weeeeeeeeeee
    edited April 2012
    make sure you give us some input on the game.

I talked to one person who got in on the closed beta and was less then impressed (so far) with the game
    Will do. I've never played GW so you'll get a one-game experience. This will also be public beta, so other info will be quite available, presumably with more background/expectations.
  • Speaking of; keep an eye on this thread. I will be posting our "official" server within the next day or so. (BWE server).