I accidentally my computer again

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited April 2012 in Science & Tech
So I was moving things around on my PC to make room on my C drive, and apparently I did it rong. Now, whenever I try to open something on my desktop, or open any of the folders on my start menu, I get the message "windows cannot access that particular whatever. You may not have permissions to access this item." I opened a command prompt as administrator and tried to give myself back access using an icacls command. It denied me access. Brian says that I might need a new windows install but said that I should check with you good people first-- help me IC forums, you're my only hope!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Run this command from an administrative command prompt. Do it from safe mode if you have to:
    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    What's it supposed to say back? Mine says:

The syntax of this command is:

secedit [/configure : /analyze : /import : /export : /validate : /generatererollback]
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Ok, help us here.... Is this windows 7, Vista, or XP???
    Try this:

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db

If not that, try this:

1. Switch to C:\ drive
    2. icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    Before I'd use icacls or secedit (and make the system much worse), I'd try a system rollback to a point before you started moving files.
    Does the same thing happen in safe mode?
    Possible borked Profile... does a login with a different or new account work properly?
    A system rollback won't fix permission issues. It just saves files.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    How does one break permissions just moving files? :)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    By moving them out of the user's area to a system secured area by mistake, then restarting.
    The secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db command brought up a bunch of information about commands. Doing the c:\drive and icacls thing said at first that "access was denied" and then spit out a wall of text that never stopped. The wall of text seemed to consist of a lot of access is denied or the path cannot be found.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Launch your cmd.exe as an Administrator. Your regular user account won't have the rights to change the permissions on most of the files on the system.
    Launch your cmd.exe as an Administrator. Your regular user account won't have the rights to change the permissions on most of the files on the system.
    It was launched as the administrator.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Just checkin.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    I don't know anybody who accidents their computer more than you, @GnomeQueen.
  • If you create a new user on the computer, and login as that new user -- can you then open anything?
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited April 2012
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
    @Lincoln ... when you click on that link it adds the discussion info to the front of youtube link and doesn't work ... if you quote it, the link is right (but the same behavior is observed after commenting

[code]http://icrontic.com/discussion/95526/www.youtube.com/www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85xwZ_OLX0[/code]
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Interesting, the code gibber is broken, too.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    I don't know anybody who accidents their computer more than you, @GnomeQueen.
    You need to meet my stepdad.
    edited April 2012
    Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
    @Lincoln ... when you click on that link it adds the discussion info to the front of youtube link and doesn't work ... if you quote it, the link is right (but the same behavior is observed after commenting

[code]http://icrontic.com/discussion/95526/www.youtube.com/www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85xwZ_OLX0[/code]

That's really weird. When I moused over, it showed sorta what you had, except with only one www.youtube.com, but when I edited it it only had the youtube address. I added an http:// to the front of it, though, and that seems to have fixed it.
    I swear I don't actually accidentally things all that often...I'm just still trying to learn the computer ropes and sometimes I know just enough to hang myself with. :O
    edited April 2012
    I swear I don't actually accidentally things all that often...I'm just still trying to learn the computer ropes and sometimes I know just enough to hang myself with. :O
    Well, you ain't learnin' 'till you break somethin'.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Too true... that's how I learned computers, kept breaking my family computer so I kept having to fix it. Mind you, this was before I had reliable internet so 90% of the time I was flying by the seat of my pants.
    90% of the time I was flying by the seat of my pants.
    Meta-joke: maxi-pads.