Free NOOK-- as software!

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Science & Tech
Barnes and Noble makes NOOK for PC and NOOK for MAC software and has such a load of investment in .epub books that the company is giving it away:

1. Go to http://www.bn.com/
2. Click, in the bar menu, on NOOK.
3. Look to the right and find the "Free Reading Apps" header.
4. Click on the "NOOK for ..." line that applies to your device.
5. Download and install the software.

Notes: NOOK for PC software works on most laptops that run Windows also. I have it here, and getting NOOK books gets you anywhere from 10% off to 100% off as they have free NOOK books also. No shipping with NOOK books, you can download the books from your NOOK software or directly from Barnes and Noble's site after purchase.

Enjoy, folks! :)

Comments

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    It would also be silly to charge for the reader when the Kindle software is free on everything.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    True, and good for those with laptops or iPads, or etc. The NOOK software has been available for PC for over a year. Barnes and Noble had, when I last look, about 10,000 free NOOK books and shopping from the software lets you search the NOOK book subarea of the site (it launches a browser session).

I do not know if the Kindle software does all this or if it is more new-- might get it and try it too. But for me, it makes more sense to use the device I already have (my Windows 7 laptop) and spend what I would have spent on the additional reader device on eBooks instead.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    Thank you straight man! I didn't know about this, and now I can easily read my books on my work PC during lunch breaks while spanking Basil in Civ V. Cheers.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    now I can easily read my books on my work PC during lunch breaks while spanking Basil in Civ V.
    Just to be clear, he posted this about 2minutes after declaring war on me.

Wutadik.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    True story.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Thank you straight man! I didn't know about this, and now I can easily read my books on my work PC during lunch breaks while spanking Basil in Civ V. Cheers.
    Welcome. Enjoy! :)

• one234hone234h Downingtown, PA [USA]
    This is the Kindle for PC software. You can read Kindle books with that for free, too.

This is Project Gutenberg; hundreds of classic books for free, of course legally.

When their powers combine, you have NO FREE TIME! Muahahahaha

Thanks for posting!
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    There's also Google Books, which can be read on lots of things. I've found some pretty esoteric tech manuals on it that I was looking for information in.