[Vodka]: Crystal Head Vodka: Yay or Nay?

one234hone234h Downingtown, PA [USA]
edited May 2012 in Food & Drink
The CHV homepage, for clarity.

Made by Dan Aykroyd's, (Blues Brothers, Ghostbusters, etc), company and going for approximately $110 in PA, the vodka is usually on the top shelf, but do you think it belongs there? Many say that the marketing which centers around the lore and legend of the 13 Crystal Skulls is the best -and most laughable- thing about the overpriced, over-marketed, nail polish. Others swear it's the best vodka they've ever had and await their new crystal head overlords to swoop in and take them off to their astral projection of Atlantis.

My Take
-------
Specs: 80 proof, grain alcohol, clear
Smell: Next to none.
Taste: Impressively neutral, smooth, with a buttery, bitter finish.
Mixablity: Blends seamlessly with sweet, sour, creamy or fruity drinks.
Price: Inexorably tied with the marketing. There is no way to buy it in a normal bottle and refill the awesome-looking one.

Key Points:
It is the smoothest vodka I've had, but not the best tasting. The vodka is prohibitively expensive for me to be sloshing it about with mixers, so the mixability of the spirit is unfortunately negated. This means it's great for special occasion shots. For sipping though, I prefer the much cheaper, but still legit, Ketel One. I think the product is over-sold so it does not stand up to its larger-than-life filtration process and inspiration for many people.

One thing on which haters and fanboys can easily agree: the bottle is kick-ass.

What do you think?

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I think the bottle is definitely kick-ass.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Meh, the vodka is mediocre. Did shots of it at the company holiday party one year. I won't object to drinking it when someone else is paying for it, but I definitely wouldn't pay for it myself. There are better vodkas at lower price points out there.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    10) Buy Crystal Head.
    20) Drink wodka.
    30) Buy Ketal One.
    40) Refill Crystal Head.
    50) GOTO20
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    I'm not a fan of Ketal One straight up... it's a good mixing vodka though.

I want to get my hands on a bottle of Russian Standard vodka. Apparently it's quite good and only around $25 a bottle (when you can find it)

EDIT: Fuck me running, there's a party store near me that sells not only Russian Standard Original, but Russian Standard Platinum...
  • one234hone234h Downingtown, PA [USA]
    @ardichoke,
    That's a common take on CHV from what I've experienced; I think they could've reaped a larger cult following driven by the bottle shape alone if the price would've been lower. Captain Morgan, Baccardi, et al have made their brands have success based on a theme/icon without being "THE BEST ALCOHOL EVAR OMG". Again, I think it takes itself a little too seriously, and alienates many otherwise buyers the way you just described.

@midga,
    That... I .... you..
    YES.

That is just:

.WIN......WINWIN...WIN.......WINWINWINWIN......WINWIN......WIN.......................
    ..WIN..WIN....WIN..WIN...............WIN...............WIN..WIN....WIN.......................
    ..WIN..WIN....WIN..WIN...............WIN...............WIN...WIN...WIN.......................
    ..WIN..WIN....WIN..WIN...............WIN...............WIN...WIN...WIN.......................
    ...WINWIN......WINWIN................WIN...............WIN....WIN..WIN.......................
    .....WIN..............WIN........WINWINWINWIN......WIN......WINWIN........................
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Chopin.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    That video makes CHV worth it. It's one of my favorite videos on YouTube. Dan Ackroyd is a bonefide looney.

In all seriousness, I've tried it and I definitely like it. Extremely smooth, perfect for sipping neat or on the rocks. I would never mix it with anything. But something is seriously wrong if you're finding it locally for $110. That's about twice the MSRP. Here in California I find it for ~$60-70, and I've seen it similarly priced in Indiana and Michigan. CHV is worth it for ~$60, but definitely not for $110.

But even so, I can never bring myself to buy CHV when Ciroc or Pravda sell for ~$35. They taste better, and sell for half the price.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Pravda
  • one234hone234h Downingtown, PA [USA]
    @Magic,
    Never had it. What turned you on to that brand?

@UPSLynx,
    Dude, he's talking to you like what he's saying is legit. It's hilarious.

@mertesn
    You know, I've never taken notice of Pravada before, but I feel like I've been hearing about it increasingly lately; I feel compelled to try it!
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    @one234h, originally a recommendation, but its the only vodka I stock now.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    The crazy thing is that Dan Ackroyd actually believes everything he said in that promo.
  • TheAlertHuskyTheAlertHusky Victoria BC Member
    You could always try "Crystal Head Vodka" from Canada, it goes for about $70 and it's a good mixer. If you're the kinda guy that drinks it straight you'll also like it.

It has a mild taste and a weak burn but it doesn't taste watered down or anything. If you're lucky you can sometimes find it in the limited edition in the ruby red skull bottle, however you normally just find the clear skull.
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    i'd say go Belvedere or just drink peroxide. your choice (trust me, i'm not just a professional drunk, i make people drunk professionally...)