Good Workout/Diet routines?

JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
edited May 2012 in Fitness
Lately I've been working out at least 4 to 5 days a week. I usually run about 1.5 to 2 miles a day (usually without stopping) and ride a stationary bike for 4 to 5 miles on varying intervals of intensity. Then i lift dumbells to try and strengthen my arm and chest muscles.

I feel like i need a harder workout, i feel like i need something a little more challenging that will help me see better results. Im trying to get my abs into shape cause i hate my belly. Does anyone have any good tips or good guides for an effective, healthy workout and diet? I tried doing a google search but there were so many different styles of workouts and diets that i didnt even know where to start.

I live on a school campus now so my diet has to be something practical, i cant visit specialty stores or buy special food. I heard staying away from bread is a good start. Any suggestions? Thanks guys! :)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    1) Lifting first, cardio second.

2) You don't get your abs in shape to get rid of your belly. You get your whole body in shape by reducing your body fat percentage, and your stomach will go away.

3) This is your plan on the iron.

4) When you're done with #3, cardio until you've burned 500 calories. Depending on your physical condition, this will take you 22-45 minutes.

5) Eat 1800 calories a day. It really doesn't matter what it is. I don't care if you eat 1800 calories in twinkies. If you follow these five steps to the letter, you'll tear through 1.5-2 lbs. a week; it's that simple. If you really want to care about your diet, get ~150 grams of protein a day, then fill in the rest with good food like wheat bread, sweet potatoes, whole wheat noodles, brown rice, oatmeal, blah blah blah.

6) SHIT IN, SHIT OUT. Your body is a machine that processes food. Feed it more than it's burning, you'll gain weight. Feed it less than it's burning, and you'll lose weight. THERE IS NO SUPER SECRET BULLET TO FITNESS. Move hard, lift hard, eat clean, eat light. These are the only things that matter.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    Thanks Thrax. This is some really good advice. This is really going to help me out. :)
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    All good stuff, also..

Stronglifts 5x5 is also a good simple routine to stick to (essentially based on rippetoe). Theres a nice IOS app for tracking it too.

Get Myfitnesspal and be religious about tracking your calories. Dont drink your calories, drink water.

Myself, I like to split my lifting and cardio days. So it looks like m-lift, t-run, w-lift, tr-run, f-lift, s-run, sn-rest.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    http://www.fatsecret.com/ can be extremely useful when it comes to tracking your eating. Their Android app is nice as well. Also, it's free.

Switching from processed crap food to (almost) all whole foods has really helped me. Also, tracking exactly what I eat every day. Even when I have a bad day. It keeps me honest and away from the crappy fast food. More fruit and veg, less carbs and fatty protein (spoiler: fast food consists of almost entirely carbs and fatty proteins).
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Jengo, it all depends on what you're looking to do. If you're going for strictly aesthetics, then the above workouts should be fine (it will definitely take time though, there is no "quick fix"). If you're looking for a great deal of muscle endurance flexibility/functionality I would highly suggest a circuit workout (mid-weights, high intensity, no rest...about 45-60mins).
    Myself, I do very little weight lifting now because I'm getting back into boxing and dropping weight to do so (160 down to 145 goal). My workouts are running every other day (1.5-2mi) with at least 300 hundred pushups (broken up in to sets of 50) and 30-50 pullups (sets of 10-20 after pushups), 30-50 dips (sets of 10-20 after pullups) and 100 crunches to finish off each lap. My non-run days are body weight exercises (the above) and about 1.5hrs on either a reflex bag, heavy bag, or speed bag (10min warmup, then the first 30mins are 3min "rounds" where the above body weight exercises are done (in sets, of course) between each round).
    Bread (whole grains, not white) and carbs aren't bad, if you eat them properly. I would suggest eating your carbs early in the day to sustain energy throughout and an appropriate amount before a workout. Keeping with low-carb and low fat foods/snacks and water in the evening is great and keeps you full. Staying away from refined sugars and processed foods (as much as you can) is a huge plus in cutting weight.
    Losing weight is awesome and you'll look and feel amazing as you do. But, losing weight and getting fit the healthy way is a long process that takes time, patience and perserverance.
    Hope all the great info that everyone provides keeps you motivated!

Good luck on reaching your goal!!!!! =D