Unusual Crossfire Configuration Possible?

ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Hardware
I'm looking into a new video card for my system and I'm debating the Radeon HD 6000 series vs the 7000s. I'm leaning towards the 6000s because I hope I can crossfire it with my current setup, but am unsure how well everything will work together.

Currently I'm running an A8-3850 APU and a 6670 on a Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H FM1. The MB has a PCIe x16 and a PCIe x4 slot.

I would like to have 3 monitors going off the new video card (for gaming/high performance) and a couple other monitors running off my current 6670 (movies, non-demanding). If I crossfire a new 6950 with the APU, can I;
1. Run 3 monitors off the crossfired pair, or am I stuck with the video outputs on the motherboard (which only supports 2)?
2. Also run the 6670 independently (on the x4 slot) for extra video outputs?

If I can't do the above, the 7850 sounds better because of the lower power requirements for approximately equal performance. It's a lot to absorb, I know, but what do the experts of Icrontic think?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    APUs can only be CrossFired with the 6450, 6570 or 6670. There are software and hardware reasons for this.

If you have two discrete Radeon GPUs, you can run multiple monitors off of each card, but you cannot CrossFire them together for performance reasons. The amount of memory copies that must be done across the bus to sync the displays just becomes too high for PCIe to support.

Does this answer everything?
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    Yes, that helps tremendously. I was under the impression my APU could be crossfired with any 6000 series. At this point the 7850 sounds like the better deal here. Thanks, Thrax