Thoughts of Diablo 3?

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Gaming
I wanted to hear some people sound off on their thoughts of D3 now that its been out almost a week.

Personally I love the game. Its been alot of fun, I am seeing my lvl 18 demon hunter and Also my barbarian and just cant wait to beat the game and start with a monk or another class.

The one thing This game has done to me is make me want Torchlight II even more!

Comments

• poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    Very fun. I'm up to level 30 on my wizard and just finished in normal mode. However, I'm the biggest wimp on earth and I have to play with all the lights on cause like, zombies and shit, man. Scary.

On a girlier note, I love that you can dye your armor.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    7/10

After 12 years, the graphics should have been stellar, not WoW
    After 12 years, the game should have longer.
    The Difficulty scales all weird. I had a bitch of a time killing Belial (Act II Boss, took 9 tries) but steam rolled the rest of the bosses. Literally one-shots.
    I like the blacksmithing and jewel-crafting, even though I'm not a fan of RNG.
    The Demon Hunter pwns face, including the other classes :)

The story, was, well without spoilers, disappointing.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    diablo 3 best 3
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    diablo 3 best 3
    Agreed, best Diablo 3 ever.
    diablo 3 best 3
    Agreed, best Diablo 3 ever.
    I'll go even further. Best 3rd game in a series yet.

(spoiler: I haven't actually thought about that statement)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I had fun. A nice, mindless hack'n'slash. The rejiggered talent system was way better than the stupid trees in D2, but the story was pretty short (not that I expected a whole lot from it).
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    It's pretty, and I don't mind the talent system as much as I thought I would, but it's still pretty boring to play alone. It would be more cool if the characters could engage in a bit more teamwork, but it allows me to play cooperatively with my friends, which is +1 billion points in my book, even if that cooperation is basically just each of us playing a single-player game at the same time in the same world.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I really liked the game, but the higher up I go the more difficult it is. I don't mean that in the obvious sense of "lawls Nightmare + is harder than normal", I think someone said it best on the forums "There is hard, and there is f()*@ing ridiculous", the difficulty jumps fall into the latter category. I had "respecced" my monk 3-4 times so far with what everyone is saying the best of the best, I have farmed gear for hours, dropped a few 100k in AH gear, and I still get my face rolled A LOT and I am not even in Inferno yet.

Melee kind of gets the shaft in a lot of games, not sure why I thought it would be different in D3.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    Was disappointed at first, but it grew on me. Act I seemed WAY too easy, and I was just cruising through with my barbarian. I think I used 2 or 3 health potions during the entire act. Act II seemed to be much harder, and that pleased me. In my opinion the campaign was way too short, compared to D2, but I thought it was decent enough. The smith crafting seems useless to me so far, as my equipment always is better than what he has to offer (yes, I've leveled him to the part where he needs books to improve). I've played through Normal and barely started Nightmare (or whatever it's called), but so far it seems to be a challenge for my lvl34 barb. I also enjoy the companions way more than in D2. They seem more personal and livelier.

All in all, I like it quite a lot.
    End-game monk is a tank for a party, or a support class. Not very good for avoiding getting gibbed.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I'll go even further. Best 3rd game in a series yet.

Does this seem like one people are going to be playing into eternity like Diablo 2? I'm interested but it's going to be awhile before I get around to playing it and don't want to get into it if everyone quits playing in 2 months.

Looks like account hacking is starting (surprise, surprise). Make sure you attach an authenticator to your account. The dial-in one does nothing...but the free mobile phone one is good.
    edited May 2012
    I really liked the game, but the higher up I go the more difficult it is. I don't mean that in the obvious sense of "lawls Nightmare + is harder than normal", I think someone said it best on the forums "There is hard, and there is f()*@ing ridiculous", the difficulty jumps fall into the latter category. I had "respecced" my monk 3-4 times so far with what everyone is saying the best of the best, I have farmed gear for hours, dropped a few 100k in AH gear, and I still get my face rolled A LOT and I am not even in Inferno yet.

Melee kind of gets the shaft in a lot of games, not sure why I thought it would be different in D3.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ajXifQ!YXe!YbZZYb

"push right mouse button, 2, walk near group, hold down left mouse button, 3434343434343434."

according to the forums, this is the solo inferno monk build, due to a "slight" OP of quickening applying to all crits :)
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I am enjoying it. I just finished Act I with my first character and am starting on Act II.
  • Seems like a pretty generic hack-n-slash blizzard sell in game destroying another beloved game of their series! If it weren't for the fact they brought nothing new to the table compared to modern RPGs of this style, the fact that the much more anticipated Torchlight 2, and the awkward if not clunky servers the game is hosted it, it might have made a fairly decent game. Now don't get me wrong, it's not like the servers do what they were intended and prevent ha-

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/21/breaking-blizzard-diablo-iii-player-accounts-hacked-items-and-gold-stolen/

o... wait...

Well, let me put it this way, if i wanted a game that looks like it's from 2006 and consists of different button mashes against demon guy for 6 hours, then I'd get Diablo 3! I mean I'm sure the 13 year old boys will love, an instant classic that the youths of our time will think of fondly, because it wasn't built up on hype or the premise of a 12 year gap between games, just like most of their other Blizzdrone targeted material.

Guess I have entitlement issues!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Came for the video, stayed for Bridget Graham. oh god.
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    Having played using the wife's free copy from having 'invested' in WoW, it's better than I was thinking it would be, and the wife thinks its fairly fun. We both agree though that it feels like something that would have been released 2-4 years ago for $20-$30, and while it is pleasantly similar in almost all ways to D2, it is also unimpressively similar in almost all ways to D2.

It would probably double or triple it's worth if I could play it with you folks, but for now that joy will still be reserved for TF2. :)
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Seems like a pretty generic hack-n-slash blizzard sell in game destroying another beloved game of their series!!
    Because Diablo I & II were definitely NOT hack-n-slash games. ;D
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ajXifQ!YXe!YbZZYb

"push right mouse button, 2, walk near group, hold down left mouse button, 3434343434343434."

according to the forums, this is the solo inferno monk build, due to a "slight" OP of quickening applying to all crits :)
    I reset my character to this actually right after my post. It works stupidly well, that is until you get to a jailer/freezing/knockback mob. Then you run out of spirit really fast trying to keep your HP up. It is actually better to keep serenity instead of Breath of Heaven in that case. I haven't died more than twice since I changed, that is from start of Act 2, to 3/4 through Act 3.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Seems like a pretty generic hack-n-slash blizzard sell in game destroying another beloved game of their series!!
    Because Diablo I & II were definitely NOT hack-n-slash games. ;D
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Came for the video, stayed for Bridget Graham. oh god.
    To fap or to not not fap? ...
  • who's trolling? What I can't have an opinion be negative without it being trolling. Here;s some nit picking to show sincere dislike of the game

Itemization is horrible. Abysmal. AWFUL. There is no point to magic finding because blues can do more damage and have better stats than both rares and legendaries. Legendaries are 99% shit because all but a couple of stats are randomized. If you see one drop, you know right off the bat it won't be worth a damn.

Why is there limited inventory space in this game?

In D2, there was limited inventory space for two reasons:
    1) Portal scrolls were limited
    2) To make you choose what gear was important to save

In Diablo 3, you can portal whenever you want. Let me repeat that: YOU CAN PORTAL WHENEVER YOU WANT. There is no consequence to filling up your bag with every piece of gear you find and skipping back to town every ten minutes.
    1) Portals are not limited and have no value
    2) You don't have to decide which gear is important, so it also has no value

So why bother making inventory LIMITED? Portaling back to town for two minutes is just a hassle.

There is no variety in builds. There is one viable build for each class and that's it. You're forced to take defensive skills. To that end, melee is completely and utterly worthless in Inferno mode because regardless of those skills you die.

Inferno is not difficulty. It's throwing a bunch of huge numbers at you and expecting you to outgear those numbers. I'm guess this has something to do with them encouraging he use of the RMAH. Fuck, Inferno is so unbalanced the bosses are piss easy and one pack of champions will have your group wiping for 15 minutes.

There is no fucking community. Public games never go full, you can't create your own named and passworded games, you can't join games where people are asking for rushes, you can't make games to trade with people. It's all randomized Dungeon Finder shit.

Oh yeah - it's a Diablo 2 gameplay mechanic that was casualized, stripped-down, and painted over.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

Itemization is horrible. Abysmal. AWFUL. There is no point to magic finding because blues can do more damage and have better stats than both rares and legendaries. Legendaries are 99% shit because all but a couple of stats are randomized. If you see one drop, you know right off the bat it won't be worth a damn.
    I can agree somewhat with your itemization argument, although I'd go out on a limb and say we haven't seen every possible item generation at this point or even understand all the rules and intricacies involved with them. I think they'll patch if and when they need to.

Why is there limited inventory space in this game?

In D2, there was limited inventory space for two reasons:
    1) Portal scrolls were limited
    2) To make you choose what gear was important to save

In Diablo 3, you can portal whenever you want. Let me repeat that: YOU CAN PORTAL WHENEVER YOU WANT. There is no consequence to filling up your bag with every piece of gear you find and skipping back to town every ten minutes.
    1) Portals are not limited and have no value
    2) You don't have to decide which gear is important, so it also has no value

So why bother making inventory LIMITED? Portaling back to town for two minutes is just a hassle.
    If you ran out of portals its because you weren't paying attention, not due to any natural limitation. What we have no is no different than always carrying one scroll and buying a new one when you get back. Hell, you could carry 20 in the Tome of Town Portal for a whole 2 inventory spaces.

There is no variety in builds. There is one viable build for each class and that's it. You're forced to take defensive skills. To that end, melee is completely and utterly worthless in Inferno mode because regardless of those skills you die.
    Given the game is in its infancy and the game mechanics have changed so much from Diablo 2, I'd imagine this is a tough call to make. Remember there were multiple patches and an expansion pack that you're looking back on for the second installment.

People can make the argument "but they should learn from what happened before" and I'd argue they have. They've adjusted the gameplay, they've taken out some of the more confusing and grindy aspects (Runes and runewords, as much as I loved them, were tedious at best etc) and made them more palatable. This applies to the Inventory argument as well.

Inferno is not difficulty. It's throwing a bunch of huge numbers at you and expecting you to outgear those numbers. I'm guess this has something to do with them encouraging he use of the RMAH. Fuck, Inferno is so unbalanced the bosses are piss easy and one pack of champions will have your group wiping for 15 minutes.
    Wait, are you suggesting that the bosses from Diablo 2 were tougher? There's a reason Meph runs were so popular. They were easy, fast and lucrative.

There is no fucking community. Public games never go full, you can't create your own named and passworded games, you can't join games where people are asking for rushes, you can't make games to trade with people. It's all randomized Dungeon Finder shit.
    Most people are playing with friends. I'd even venture to say a large majority. There are hundreds and hundreds of more compelling ways of organizing a game than the old general chat system. Most of the time those were purely for harassment and scamming anyway. With a little work I'd imagine this being a boon to the community.

As for name and password games I don't know why you'd need that when you can set your games to invite only and then invite people from your friends list.

Oh yeah - it's a Diablo 2 gameplay mechanic that was casualized, stripped-down, and painted over.
    And now we have the crux of your argument. You're clamoring about casualization and stripping down of mechanics without realizing some of the things that have changed and for the better.

I'm not suggesting its a perfect game at this point, but rosy colored nostalgia glasses seem to be coloring what you're seeing.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    I'm having a lot of fun with it. My only experience with this type of game before was Torchlight, I didn't play Diablo I or Diablo II.
    I'm pretty excited to try hardcore mode once I get through the regular game.

What really intrigues me is the Auction House. I think it would be a fun game in itself if the market would normalize, but my only major gripe is that Blizzard doesn't have tools set in place to let it do so. People end up selling items for ridiculous off market prices, and as a result the entire thing is completely flooded with crap nobody is buying. IE. there a 300 of a single rare item going for 100x what anyone is willing to pay for it, and 5 of those items are actually set at reasonable prices and end up in bidding wars but they are smothered by the 300 other overpriced items and people can't find the 5 worth bidding on. It's madness.
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    It is awesome. An excellent 3rd for the series. the ONLY thing that is disappointing (and NOT a fault of the game itself, btw), is that this wasn't completed and released 5 years ago, and a Diablo 4 (or expansion pack(s)) released less than 2 weeks ago.

As far as the graphics go; yes, it would've been nicer if it also noticeably raised the graphics bar compared to games where I don't only desire to see a distorted mess of rended, demon spawn flesh chunks around me. This is preferred to a slew of beautifully rendered, graphically-intensive (i.e. expensive), DirectX ∞ shader-applied, *alive* hellspawn, standing around a (now) blood-filled set of armor that has obviously taken a 10% hit to durability.

Anyway, hardcore wizard BloodNinja is almost to level 20. :)
    wait, sharkydart is playing D3? there goes anyone's chance of being #1 :)
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    PirateNinja: If you want to play a game where the market itself is a game, you should play EVE.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    The market in EVE is beyond a game... it's a hyper-realistic investment simulator.