Expo 2012 Setup help and General stuff from Ryder

RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Community
I want and need 1, maybe 2 people to help on Wednesday with my portion of the setup process. This includes running the power cables, the network cabling between switches, and the server.
Not to sound like an ass but, I want help, not discussions about best networking practices or how many PC's can run on 1 circuit. I will have it laid out based on Q's tabling diagram and then we will implement. If you can take directions and not debate my sanity, then "I want you" ;D
I want to do this on Wednesday starting mid-late morning... 10am maybe 11am start - @Ghoosdum, not sure what time is on the official calendar. Should take no more than 1 hour of actual help needed, I will have to get the server/networking going but that shouldn't require an additional body.

Some things from last year that I want to improve on:

BRING YOUR NETWORK CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! - I can't stress this enough. I must have made at least 12 maybe as many as 18 myself (besides what I had to make for the switches) not sure who made any others. The issue is... I don't have them, they were either taken home or they are somewhere that I don't know about. Bring a cable (preferably about 25 feet, not every table has a switch) with you, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. If you forget your underwear, at least bring a cable. If you forget a cable, please make a stop somewhere and buy another one. Meijers does sell them and even Home Depot. Thank you.

If you are not helping setup tables, helping me with network, helping setup another room for something... Please hang out upstairs or maybe not at the cafe during the setup. Too many people who are not helping with things, just makes it crowded and slows down the setup. Not being there can help just as much as being there :).

DO NOT bring your PC straight into the Cafe upon your arrival (unless your arrival is on Thursday or later). If you arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday (or earlier) leave your PC in the car until the all clear is given. Extra gear in the basement just hinders setup.

I think that is it from me.. anyone else involved in setup have anything to add, be my guest :)

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    What time works best for you to do your setup? I will put whatever time works best on the calendar.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    I technically can't setup until the tables are up, although doing power without tables would actually be easier as long as I know where tables are going. Let's see if @Primesuspect or @Lincoln have a thought on when setup will be commencing. My vote is for the 10-11 start time since the tigers game is on Wednesday.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I'll probably have the tables and chairs set up on Monday or Tuesday.
    edited May 2012
    Well then.. I say 11am Wednesday for setup of power, network and server to commence.

Oh and if anyone feels like cleaning out near the electrical panel, it would be appreciated.. I do still need access there.
    I put it on the official calendar from 11AM-noon Wednesday, with a link back to this discussion from the event so people get the "no PC setup until all clear is given" rule.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I am willing and able to assist in this setup. I'll be there on Monday.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Depending on when work lets me go, I might be in town on Wednesday. I won't know for a little while, though, but I'd definitely like to help.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    I should be there to help all depending on my ride ( @mertesn).
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I think that can be arranged. Of course I'm willing to help as well.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Depending on whatever part time job I get on campus, I should be able to help too.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    I'm down for helping. I get in on Sunday.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    I would absolutely love to help but Digi and I are getting in too late and we are set to go straight to the ball game.
    That said, like last year I will help clean up afterwards.

We appreciate you Ryder, thanks for organizing this .. you too Mr. Hoosdum. :)
    I'm on the same incoming flight as PirateDan and Digi, so in other words, we will help by not being in the way. ;)
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    I'll be able to help out if need be.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I will definitely help. I don't know enough about networking to discuss the best way to do anything so I am definitely in for someone to give me instructions and I do the grunt work.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    I don't know enough about networking to discuss the best way to do anything
    Never stopped users where I work... "I read in Readers Digest that the interwebs need to be cleaned like a dryer vent and that's really cheap so you should be able to make by interwebs fast by spending $99.99"

Just a bump as we get closer to everyone's departure.

Network cable.. BRING IT ;)
    If you have a power strip and can fit it in your luggage... BRING IT. We may not use it, but too many is better than not enough.

Another thing that really helps - Login to Steam or whatever and update your games before leaving home. MAKE SURE that you are on the latest possible before you come to the Cafe. If you have to update at the hotel, ICHQ, wherever. Inevitably Valve releases updates around LAN time every year (LOL) and we get stuck with EVERYONE needing to download a Gigabyte of content. So if everyone has most of that done first.. at least we can minimize this.

When you choose your spots at the tables... please consider the equipment that is already there. Each table gets 2400W of power (Max) - If we can avoid 4 SLI machines at 1 table, I would like to do so.
    I know everyone likes to sit near friends, but if you could "police" this a little bit, it will enhance everyone's experience by preventing down time.

That's about it for now.
    I know everyone likes to sit near friends, but if you could "police" this a little bit, it will enhance everyone's experience by preventing down time.
    The only part I'm not sure about is what "preventing down time" means in relation to sitting by friends (and presumably, policing means spreading out ... which may have just explained what you meant ... but it was pretty full last time ,... anyways)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    how many people are per table? four?

according to Q's setup, looks like 48 seats (so where the other 15 people going?)

edited June 2012
    @Tushon
    Scenario: 3 people whom you are interested in being near are already at a table, they have 3 big PC's and you do as well.
    I am asking you to sit at another table near them that may be empty or with 4 laptops at it, follow?
    If people can "police" the power requirements with a little common sense, that is what will save down time due to blowing a breaker and having to move people.
    Gotcha! I started thinking that was what you meant towards the end.
    I think we need a count on how many people are actually bringing PC's and want a seat at the "gaming" tables.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    I think we need a count on how many people are actually bringing PC's and want a seat at the "gaming" tables.
    raises hand (PC part) and it's a beast
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    FYI, I'll be leading the table setup.

Please do NOT setup any chairs until I ask.

@Ryder If it makes a difference to you, I will likely eliminate one or both tables against the wall by the stairs (to the right of them) again. If we want to keep those 3 seats, we can shift the tables on the right wall by 2-3 feet toward the door to allow an extra row before the prize table.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    I will also be bringing a big rig! :D
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    @lincoln, needs vanilla poll plugin.
    This year I'll be bringing my desktop, and it's way bigger, but if I can again I'd like to sit at the server table.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I usually like to have a spot, just to hang out with my buddies in the basement, but only ever spend a total of like 20 minutes sitting in that chair, so I don't mind giving it up for space. I'll just keep my laptop with me at the boardgames table.

Speaking of which: Will the boardgame set-up be changing at all. I liked having that corner room upstairs.
    Not that I'm aware of
    1 more thing... Bring your power strip!! There are 2 outlets per 2 tables (8 people) you need to daisy chain your power strips so everyone has power at the table.
    We like to limit everyone to 2 outlets - 1 PC and 1 monitor or 1 laptop and 1 phone charger for example.

Thanks.