Got an SSD - Mushkin Chronos Deluxe

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited June 2012 in Hardware
With my MacBook Pro turning a year old and the recent "acquisition" of a MacBook Air to replace my iPad (which was slowly gathering dust), I really started to dislike the spindle driven whinging of the Pro vs the SSD enabled Air.

My local retailer had a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB with £100 off the ticket price (£200 instead of £300)... click, click, buy.

Holy WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT. This thing is incredibles fast.

Average writes 290MB/s with reads of 450MB/s. I _should_ have benched the original HDD (doh) but I know it was a hell of a lot less than that.

Some research before hand indicated that the Chronos Deluxe uses sync toggle NAND and sits in a category with the likes of the OCZ vertex 3 MAX IOPS (which is a barnstorming SSD from what a friend tells me).

I have kind of sat on the fence with the whole SSD thing for a while. Officially converted. Now need one for the VM store on my server.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Just think how good it would be if you put it in a real computer.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Welcome to the "GOTTA GO FAST" side
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    That actually seems a bit slow for a good SSD. On the recent ADATA I benched, I was getting ~470mb writes and ~540mb reads. Admittedly, I don't know anything about the Macbook Pro SATA controller. I'll assume it's SATA II.

Either way, it's a massive improvement, eh? I cannot wait until I get an SSD in my desktop. I benched this one and then boxed it back up to give away at Expo. It was very tough going back to my ~65mb/s WD Raptor :-/
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    If he's getting 450MB/s reads, it's a SATA-3 controller. OTOH, writes are more or less "pointlessly fast" on today's SSDs, as the vast majority of the transactional work done by users (and Windows) are reads. They may have just prioritized read speeds on the controller.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    I have kind of sat on the fence with the whole SSD thing for a while. Officially converted. Now need one for the VM store on my server.
    Heh, I'm in the same boat. Dropped an ADATA S510 into my laptop yesterday and the speed has jumped hilariously, even though I'm limited by SATA 2.0.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    OT: I bought an SSD at CompUSA on impulse and I'm really disappointed at the speed. Still faster than the mechanical drive. My fault for shopping on impulse at CompUSA but I'm really looking forward to buying a top of the line SSD.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    OT: I bought an SSD at CompUSA on impulse and I'm really disappointed at the speed. Still faster than the mechanical drive. My fault for shopping on impulse at CompUSA but I'm really looking forward to buying a top of the line SSD.
    Which one did you buy?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    Which one did you buy?
    Kingston SSDNow V200 128GB with a read speed of 300MB/s and a write speed of 190MB/s. Only brand the store had.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    I have the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120gb AMD SATA-6 (3.0) getting 541 reads & 506 writes. Well that's when using the AMD controller drivers. When using the MS Standard AHCI 1.0 drivers I get 552 reads & 489 writes. Go figure.