4:30am workouts destroy you (you too can get up at the ass crack of dawn!)

MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
edited June 2012 in Fitness
I looked back at this and realize the last time I was "serious" about the gym as 2008. That's 4 years ago. That's way, way too long.

I've been consistently active, but I wouldn't say I've been "fit".

That in mind, I started getting up at 4:30am and going to the gym one month ago today. That's right, 4:30am. A busy schedule, coupled with the idea that getting up early will force me to go to bed before Ass o'clock:30 motivated me.

Things were rough to start, but its much, much easier to get up at 4:30 now. I've had to alter things a bit because I'm playing in 3 softball leagues on a semi regular basis (2 extremely competitive, 1 recreational).

A nice thing that comes from all this is I have more energy, I'm much more focused, exceptionally happy almost all the time (a real feat) and I'm starting to look good.

So, here's what has happened in just one month with the major lifts I perform:
  • 4x5 squat: 215lbs -> 245lbs
  • 4x5 hang clean (unfortunate side effect of having no true Olympic lift area): 95lbs -> 145lbs
  • 4x5 bench: 95lbs -> 135lbs
  • 4x5 deadlift: 225lbs -> 285lbs
That's not shabby, but its time to set goals for next month and force myself to get there. I want some of my strength back.

So Goals:
  • 4x5 squat: 315lbs
  • 4x5 hang clean (unfortunate side effect of having no true Olympic lift area): 185lbs
  • 4x5 bench: 165lbs
  • 4x5 deadlift: 345lbs
These are ambitious. They're going to be tough. I don't care. The two toughest ones are going to be squat and hang clean. I will get these.

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    Wow, nice job. I am so not a morning person. I drrrrraag getting out of bed at 7... hats off to you.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    So, I'm going intermittently at 4:30am at this point because I have no idea when I'm playing softball. This week it looks like I'll have had 3 games Sunday, 2 Tuesday, 1 Thursday and 1 Saturday (with another 1 Sunday, but that's "next week").

It might not seem like it, but it takes a toll. Especially on my right arm, if you've been in IRC you've seen the bitching. Pretty sure its tendinitis and I have no compulsion to be smart right now.

But, for progress numbers:
    • 4x5 squat: 265lbs
    • 4x5 hang clean: 145lbs
    • 4x5 bench: 145lbs
    • 4x5 DL: n/a, haven't been doing it
    edited July 2012
    So the majority of this training has been in an effort to get in shape for track, specifically sprinting.

Tonight is the first time I'm going to run in a competitive environment since 2006. I'm nowhere near as strong as I had been, but I still have huge expectations for myself. I'm running the 100m and 200m. I'm also potentially doing Long Jump and the 4x100 (provided enough people are there that I know). Here are my goals (Anger is key to accomplishing these):
    • 100 meter realistic: sub 12
    • 100 meter expectation: sub 11.5
    • 200 meter realistic: sub 24.0
    • 200 meter expectation: sub 23.5
    • Long Jump realistic: over 17'
    • Long Jump expectation: over 18'
    Meet starts at 6:30pm tonight. I'll be sure and put my actual results in after I get home.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    Some impressive improvement numbers you have there. I wish I could get something similar, granted I don't pay very good attention to what I do, and the rate in which I do them. I just kind of go and do stuff at the gym. But after 3 months of random workouts, I think I went from:

135lb 8x3 bench, to 140lb 10x3 bench
    200lb 8x3 squat, to 225lb 8x3 squat

I didn't watch my Deadlift numbers or try to "max out" on it, but I think I ended somewhere around 220 pounds, though I have a good feeling I probably could have put another 20-30 pounds on. I was more worried about not having the correct form when I did it. I never tried the clean either.

Also, just as an excuse, I blame my diabetes for a bit of my lack of improvement.
    My results are atypical I think. I also had a higher "base" from years of lifting prior to this. I'm still way off my personal bests in pretty much every area.

For reference, I was previously doing 335lbs 4x5 in squat and 195lbs 4x5 in hang cleans. I'm way, way off those numbers right now. I want to get back there, but I need to be realistic.
    One description for tonight: Shit.
    Once again progress has been made. I've added sprint to my list of activities. Finally got to 315 for a set of 5 today in squat. Felt monstrous especially considering the lead up sets to it. Next goal is 335, then pushing to 400+ which I will make happen.

Hang clean has also improved, 155 for a set of 5. I think I can realistically get to 175 by the end of the year.
    JBoogaloo