small question on RAM

stealth1111stealth1111 Canada Member
edited June 2012 in Hardware
im just wondering about my RAM card this is the 1 i got

http://www.corsair.com/en/tr3x6g1333c7.html 6GB XMS Memory kit for triple channel systems, 1333MHz, 7-7-7-20, 1.65V

But when i go on my computer it says the ram is running 8-8-8-20 any idea?

Comments

• TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    Just a question, is this your only RAM card on the PC or do you have another one?
  • stealth1111stealth1111 Canada Member
    thats the only one it comes with 3 packs
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Your bios will set the ram at the system defaults. In theory, you can change the latency to what your ram is rated at and you'll be good to go. Make sure the vdimm voltage is set to 1.65 if you do though. Default voltage may be lower and you could have stability issues running lower latency at lower voltage.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Corsair memory usually uses XMP to supply timings/voltage requirements. Your motherboard also has to support XMP to set this information automatically, otherwise you have to enter your PC BIOS and manually configure whatever timings/voltage are on the package.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    solid advice above.

but if what they are saying is all unfamiliar to you, you will not notice a difference in day to day performance from 7-7-7-20 and 8-8-8-20
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    It's not just that you won't notice a difference. There is literally no performance difference between 7/7/7 and 8/8/8 in real applications.