If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

Katawa Shoju (Deal with it)

colacola the dick man himselfRight behind you Icrontian
edited Jul 2012 in Bronies
Potential spoilers included, read at your own risk :P

I'm making this thread because the waifu thread simply can't function as the only place to discuss/post (non-H) images of KS/youtub. That, and Lynx can't into waifu. Also, I've just started this and love the style of story and art, the characters are deep (lulz), and Lilly is smalltime.

***Lynx ninja edit***

For those of you who haven't heard of this, KS is a bishoujo-style visual novel set in Japan. You play as a dude who suddenly has a very serious heart condition, and ends up at a high school mainly for disabled people. It's not a dating sim, like everyone wants you to believe. It's more like a weeaboo choose your own adventure - except that it's American made.

The really cool thing about KS is that it started on 4Chan with a single image back in 2007. A bunch of nerds worked hard for over four years to make KS a reality, and as a project of passion from fans, it's an awesome example of what people can do out of communities like 4Chan.

Oh, and if you were there at Expo 2009 when the "Lynx is a weeaboo" thing started, it's all because of this game

A word of warning - it DOES have mature content in it. This content can be enabled, just know that ahead of time. Also also, you should probably watch this:

Now, back to Cola:

I made it to two of the endings to Hanako's path, one was lame and the other gave me some major feels.

I'm really happy with the end I made it to on my first run through and I'm looking foreward to seeing the rest of Hanako and then Rin. I don't think I could become the Shoju master like Lynxsiao and complete all paths, but I'll prolly run through everyone's stories at least once just to see.

Also, lulz if you guys end up getting bad end.

Let us begin?

Comments

• colacola the dick man himself Right behind you Icrontian
    edited Jul 2012
  • IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly Incandescent Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Have I given you a hero of the internets award yet and/or a doesn't afraid award because you definitely deserve both.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Jul 2012
    I don't think I could become the Shoju master like Lynxsiao and complete all paths,

Only one can be Lynxsiao, the Shoujo master!

I didn't want to be the guy to make this thread. I knew Cola would. What's funny, since I first played the beta in 2009, there has only been ONE MENTION of KS on all of Icrontic. Suddenly, some videos show up on IC pony stream, Basil gets conned into DEM FEELS, and here we are.

Also, @Cola, I edited your OP to add some game info.

I have beaten all paths in this game, but I'm working on finishing all the story ends to each paths. Lilly is a 100% completion for me (best storyline. Seriously, deal with it). Problem is, I was playing on my MacBook, and as I was finishing up Rin, who I saved for last, the game just up and decided to erase all of my progress. I was able to pick up where I left off with Rin, but all the other progress (images, videos, text skip states, and save games) are all gone. Pissed me off, because to go back and finish the other paths, I no longer can skip what I've already read. Guess I'm just going to replay all of it.

I expected Hanako to be my favorite ever since the moment when I first saw that image on 4Chan back in '07. The beta surprised me when I realized Lilly was best Shoujo. Still, Hanako was my second favorite in the full game. Felt weird to play any path after completing Lilly's. So many feels. The writing in KS isn't incredible, but the characterization of the people involved makes it all develop so well.

OFFICAL SHOUJO POWER RANKINGS
    BEST WAIFU TIER - Lilly, Hanako (lol yandere)
    WTF ARE YOU DOING TIER - Rin
    OK BUT POOR WRITING TIER - Shizune
    MEH TIER - Emi
    BRO TIER - Jigoro
    WHISKEY WAIFU TIER - Kenji
    DRILL TIER - WAHAHA
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Toronto, ON Icrontian
    what the fuck is going on itt
    edited Jul 2012
    Image dump: ENGAGE

edited Jul 2012
    Posted for posterity:

Also, I'm just getting started:

• BasilBasil Nubcaek IREEELAND Icrontian
    Posted for posterity:

edited Jul 2012
    Earlier today Basil and I discovered a few things.

1. Kenji is Rarity tier waifu, Ilriyas can't deny.

Dat fabulous scarf.

2. Emi is Iron Giant tier.

3. My recent discoveries

4. No path is safe for your heart.

5. DRILLS!

Why did thread get into bronies?
  • IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly Incandescent Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    @Cola Lynx moved it so that it would be in the part of Icrontic not viewable by the public or the general members who don't like ponies or ponystream stuff in general.

Also so that it wouldn't get deleted
    Yeah trust me, if I didn't move this thread, it would have been nuked in a day or so. You know how it goes.
    I'm still expecting something along the lines of this to happen.
    However I'm optimistic maybe if we can make this a legit discussion as opposed to just videos and pictures it'll be allowed to stay.
    I cant help but find this a wee bit funny. So Thursday I dropped a 300 pound cabinet on my foot, thankfully I caught most of the weight so I only injured it but I digress.

Today trying to go to work I caused further harm to my foot and am now stuck in bed because I can hardly walk on it, what am I doing during this time? Playing Katawa Shoujo.
    Do not stop until 100% completion. I want everyone in this thread at my level.
    Ilriyas said:

So Thursday I dropped a 300 pound cabinet on my foot

>Plays KS.
    >Attempts to cripple self.

Seems like you're taking the game a little to seriously.
    UPSLynx said:

No.

Your level is depraved.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Detroit, MI Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

Yeah trust me, if I didn't move this thread, it would have been nuked in a day or so. You know how it goes.

:ninja:

It's not like I was trying to injure myself, though looking back trying to unload a 300 pound cabinet by myself is asking for issue.

Anyways I cant work till Monday doctor's orders so Rin and I have some catching up to do...

...What the hell that sentence...
    I began playing Planescape again last night. Four hours in. Your time of reckoning is coming, @Basil.

Please observe @Ilriyas. He done goofed. He's in deep now.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

This couldn't have gone into video gaming? It is a video game. It has nothing to do with ponies. Where is the logic in this?
    The logic is that this subforum doesn't display publically on new posts. I'll gladly move it to gaming if @primesuspect agrees to it, but I've got a feeling that the content involved isn't exactly appreciated.

I mean, it's not like ponies, so people won't hate it unnecessarily for that, but they'll find other reasons to hate it.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Orange, CA Icrontian
    I think that girl in those images has Greyscale.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Don't we have an option to simply hide discussions you don't want to see? Moving it to an unrelated category just because some people might not want to see it is silly and limits discussion.

Emi is best smug

IRON WAIFU IS BEST PATH
    Ilriyas said:

It's not like I was trying to injure myself

Perhaps not consciously...
    UPSLynx said:

I began playing Planescape again last night. Four hours in. Your time of reckoning is coming, @Basil

It's taken you literal months to get 4 hours in; I'm not holding my breath.
    Canti said:

Don't we have an option to simply hide discussions you don't want to see? Moving it to an unrelated category just because some people might not want to see it is silly and limits discussion.

I'm just trying to avoid the sh*tstorm we had with ponies, but I agree with you. I'll move it to games if @primesuspect is cool with it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Detroit, MI Icrontian
    These endless image threads do not lend well to public discussion; it's a tiny niche of the same five people who just keep endlessly bumping the thread with another image that makes no sense to everyone else. It gets super annoying for the vast majority of people who keep seeing the new discussions button on a single thread that they don't care about. And no, you can't unsubscribe from a single discussion, only a category.
    Since joining Icrontic two things have happened to my youtube account specifically.

1. For a time my youtube recommendations were nothing but Pony videos and I was fine with this.

2. As of today half of my recommended videos are related to Katawa Shoujo even though the only vids I've ever watched were in the streams and/or linked to me by you guys. This scares me somewhat considering that only months before this thread's creation I laughed at the notion of this 'game' and openly guffawed at any attempts to explain it to me in relation to now where I not only play the game but advocate others trying it and having serious discussions on the topic as proven by this whole post...

I'd continue to blame you guys for this as I have up until this afternoon but I actually have no problem with the game it's really well written for something that I believed would've had zero production value and though not even through Act 1 yet I'm getting 'feels' So instead of blaming you lot (You know who you are) I'm going to instead thank you because you convinced me to drop my preconceptions and pick up something which has actually turned out to be surprisingly good.
    Second post/place holder edit.

And yes you guys can consider this, as with everything else to be my 'breaking point'

• brightbright Wind Tunnel Member
    UPSLynx said:

Do I have to? :(

*Attempt at contributing*

@Bright You have chose...wisely
  • brightbright Wind Tunnel Member
    I've actually only played once and got Lilly Good End. It was intense so I haven't played again, but Lynx has said I must so I will. I have yet to find out who I like the best.
    Seriously, Lilly's ending is so good. Cliched, but frigging awesome. Has anyone other than Bright and I played it?
    Oh God, I know some people are laughing at me for having only just met Rin despite all my bullshit but I freaking lost it at Kenji's pizza rant.
    edited Jul 2012
    UPSLynx said:

Seriously, Lilly's ending is so good. Cliched, but frigging awesome.

'Cliched' is being kind to it.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Orange, CA Icrontian
    edited Jul 2012
    I don't know anything about this game but I'mma participate anyway.

IMG_20110501_214705.jpg
    547 x 800 - 121K
    IMG_20110501_214705.jpg
    547 x 800 - 121K
    UPSLynx
    ....incredible.
  • MomOfRoseMomOfRose Member
    edited Jul 2012
    I know nothing about ANYTHING on this thread, and I don't have anything to contribute, but I'll participate. I know where that pic was taken! :P
  • RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Member
    UPSLynx said:

Seriously, Lilly's ending is so good. Cliched, but frigging awesome. Has anyone other than Bright and I played it?

Yeah, I had 100% completion the week it came out. Which is funny, as I generally dislike anime in its many forms. Something about the art style just creeps me out.
  • BladephoenixBladephoenix Member
    edited Jul 2012
    If Ilriyas can go 10+/0 as Volibear today, I will do what I have promised to never do. Delve into the "wat" that is this game.

Game1: 5/0/3 Half way. Then enemy team surrendered waHAHA!.
    Game2: 2/3/1 Not even close. 2,999,998 kills away from starting point.

Smalltime Ilriyas gave up.
    ...I fail to see the issue here.
    edited Jul 2012
    Just completed Emi's path and got the good end, I'd say I got to it by mistake but I just made all the choices I would've done in those situations anyways so I guess it all turned out well by the end and that Emi is possibly best waifu?

Anyways back to being serious leading up to the ending of Emi's path I experienced all kinds of feels if I were to describe them in order over the last 2 acts with one word I would use:
    Sad
    Angry
    Sad
    Happy

At first I thought that a lot of the emotional events were too spaced out in Emi's path to allow for me to experience the proper emotions and emotional transition as intended by the game's writers but when I finished I felt like it all meshed together well after the event in the path that pissed me off for example I was angry all the way up until the next plot development and the relief of the change actually caused me to experience feels so STRONK that I went to get a tin of water.

Perhaps a little too strong of a reaction to a game sure but by that point I was totally engrossed in the story and hell I'm the same 'super macho man' who watches technicolour ponies, cries every time I see Toy Story any freaking Pixar film, and wept openly at the ending of Gran Torino.

I'd say that playing through this game was a one shot to get Lynx and Basil off my back but I think I may very well play another path (That and I want to see what happens with Rin's path.)

(Also for the life of me I could never tell if she was pissed or happy that face man that face. On just about every end game decision I could never tell if I had screwed up or not.)

Now to completely derail the above here's a video explaining the average reaction to KS which...basically sums up my whole playthrough...
    So you finished Emi's path before finishing Rins? What kind of Waifu master are you?

I didn't like 'dat face' either, couldn't tell the intent. Bad art. Thing is, all of Emi's path was just to casual for my taste. Everything seemed to happen too easily at first, and then when things get shaken up at the midpoint, it was just too big a WTF moment for me. It comes out of nowhere for no real good reason.

The good end is great though, but I still though hers was the worst path.
    edited Jul 2012
    @UPSLynx yeah the whole depression thing shot out of nowhere and kind of irritated me, I'm doing Rin's path right now and having a lot more fun with it especially because I can actually make sense of some of the nonsense she's saying.

EDIT: Though I must say I did enjoy Emi's path, reconciling with her at the end gave me an attack of HNNNNGGGG and really hit me as a good end despite all the bs in between.
    On @Basil's suggestion I went and tried to get Kenji's end for teh lulz and I have no idea what to say there's just so much wtf I don't even get it.
    EEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    edited Jul 2012
    Ilriyas said:

Emi is possibly best waifu?

I liked it, cliched backstory but the novel angle, solid development and good characterisation saved it.
    tl;dr disregard lynx, acquire puppy eyes.
    Perhaps a little too strong of a reaction to a game sure
    I'd disagree on the 'to a game' part; like all art games should change the way we feel, the particular degree of feels is up to the player ofc.
    I'd say that playing through this game was a one shot to get Lynx and Basil off my back
    Lies, I did nothing. I have no idea why my name appears in this thread...
    Also, proof it was all lynx:

Also for the life of me I could never tell if she was pissed or happy that face man that face. On just about every end game decision I could never tell if I had screwed up or not.
    DAT FACE

UPSLynx said:

The good end is great though, but I still though hers was the worst path.

ITP: longshadow subconsciously hates on the short.
    No glasses.
    No napkins.
    Whiskey only.

(that's actually a 4chan shoutout)
    >WhiskEy

Consider previous statements redacted, Kenji is no longer Rarity tier glorious waifu but a Rin tier friend-zoning harlot.
  • RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Member
    Oh, are we discussing best waifu? Cause my vote's totally on Drillpink Laughhead image.

All the more chubbin for the lovin.
    I don't get the whole fat misha thing but here's more Rin