Headphones Rcommendations For Work

TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
edited July 2012 in Hardware
Anyone have a recommended pair of headphones for use at work?

Desired features:
- Looking for something with pretty good noise insulation (ie. I don't want to hear others and I don't want them to hear my music). I can see anyone that would want to get my attention and arm waving/im are pretty common around here.

- I've grown quite fond of my wireless headset at home so wireless would be nice, not an absolute must.

- I can be willing to entertain most any price (probably <100$) as long as a compelling argument can be made to justify the cost.

- No microphone is needed but if one is included I will not be opposed.

- I would not consider myself an audiophile, but I don't want something that sounds cheap, tinny, etc. I like good lows and decent highs.

I'm not looking for anyone to do research for me, but if you've had a set you loved I'd like to hear about them.

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    I did a good bit of research for good noise-canceling headphones and settled on the Sennheiser PXC 450. Very comfortable, comes with a nice slim hard case for travel, volume control on the side, talk-thru button. My biggest qualm is that the ear pieces are attached with plastic and the cord doesn't detach. I've had them for several months with no issues, but when making an investment like this I worry about easily-broken pieces. My Sony noise canceling headphones (loved them) bit the dust when a small plastic pin snapped in them (ironically, they were mostly metal) and I couldn't fix it, and they don't sell them anymore.
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    Well, I've got a few suggestions of three different types:

My first suggestion (and my overall TL;DR opinion) is to invest in a great pair of earphones. For noise insulation, you'd be hard-pressed to do better. Also, the device will be able to transfer sound directly into your ear; this simultaneously gives you better sound quality, and can help avoid hearing damage from accidentally turning the volume up too loud (because of a pair of headphones having to compete with outside noise you're trying to drown out). Also, even though they aren't invisible by any means, they are a bit more discrete than a pair of headphones; especially around-the-ear ones! Something like the Shure SE215 will be a good bet, as long as you get used to how they are supposed to fit (and clean them appropriately!)

What first got me looking into better-than-comes-with-UT2K4-collector's-edition headphones were the Sennheiser PX100s. At the time I purchased them, it was for about $35, but I think the version available now is A) more expensive, and B) different enough in manufacture to deprecate this review. With the PX100, I was impressed with the sound quality, and they are still alive and kicking. HOWEVER, there are a couple properties of the device that since owning them, I would check any subsequent purchase for; the cord is short, way too flimsy, and, in general, ear pads suck - they get dirty, and the foam deteriorates - kinda gross. But, that is an aspect of any type of on-ear headphones.

And finally, my last suggestion is of the around-the-ear style - Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 - this is an incredibly comfortable and well-built pair of headphones (without being anywhere near audiophile price range); keep in mind, it is meant for reproducing sound, not artificially enhancing it, so it's not like you're going to be overwhelmed with bass or anything, but everything will sound accurate. I picked this up for monitoring when I'm messing around on guitar and want to record something (but that's a topic for another thread), and it functions perfectly for that; no fatigue wearing it either.

Good luck in your search!
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    I recently purchased these for work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875984055
    I love that they are bluetooth, they have magnets to hold the earbuds when not in use, has the media controls on the headset, and use the same charger as my phone (micro usb). They are earbud style so while not active noise blocking they are very effective at blocking my surroundings.
  • Thanks for the suggestions!

I probably should have mentioned that I tend to dislike in-ear. They never seem to fit right and end up being more annoying than not having music.

@snarkasm recommended the Sennheiser HD-280 and I think I'm currently leaning towards those.
    pragtastic
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    Look for circumaural closed back cans then.

@snarkasm recommended the Sennheiser HD-280 and I think I'm currently leaning towards those.

+1, you could also consider the Audio Technica ATH M50's if they are in budget.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    Basil said:

+1, you could also consider the Audio Technica ATH M50's if they are in budget.

@Basil
    I had seen those while looking at the 280's. Have you used them before? What makes them better than the 280?
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    Briefly.
    Wouldn't say they are necessarily better than the 280's, just different.

Try both if you can, see which you like the sound of and/or which fits best.
  • Went ahead and ordered the 280s earlier today. Hopefully I like them.