Microsoft Announces Goals for actual coming into use of Windows 8

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian
edited July 2012 in Science & Tech
The following is courtesy of eWeek:

"Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer on July 9 opened Microsoft's annual Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC) by highlighting key product milestones and opportunities for partners contributing to the beginning of a new era for the company. The four-day event celebrates the accomplishments of the company's more than 640,000 global partners and gives a preview of what will be the most exciting product releases for Microsoft in the coming year. "This will be the biggest product and services launch year in our company's history, creating massive opportunities for our partners to grow their businesses," Ballmer said. "With Windows — Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Azure — and Office 365, there's never been a better time to be a Microsoft partner. The opportunities for us to do amazing things for our joint customers have never been greater." Microsoft also announced that it will release Windows 8 to manufacturers in the first week of August and the new OS will be available on retail PCs by the end of October. In addition, Microsoft announced its plans to acquire Perceptive Pixel, a maker of large-scale, multi-touch displays."

Link: http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Enterprise-Applications/Microsofts-Worldwide-Partner-Conference-2012-Highlights-Windows-8-Release-874112/?kc=EWKNLNAV07112012STR1

Note that I quoted the whole article, they wrote it better than I can. The article has a link to Microsoft's announcement about the release to manufacturers goal dating that failed to copy-paste. This date does not have anything to do with when Windows 8 will be available separately for home builders, but usually that happens within 2-5 months of major mfr's selling PCs with the new version on it.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Windows 8 will be available for everyone, on OEM systems and in a box, in October.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Ok, thanks. When I said usually, I used a combo of earlier estimates of Before Christmas and knowing that Microsoft has historically given its GOLD and SILVER system mfring partners a lead time before making enough DVDs or distribution media sets with license keys GENERALLY available in enough volume to be economical to buy by resellers for retail separate sale-- glad to see a simultaneuos release, though I do not have a public source for that.
    If you want both, Windows 7 now and Windows 8 for $15.00 later, read THIS.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

If you want both, Windows 7 now and Windows 8 for $15.00 later, read THIS.

Sweet. Thanks for the heads up!
    Welcome, happy to!