Bicycle Get

drasnordrasnor Starship OperatorHawthorne, CA Icrontian
edited July 2012 in Lifestyle
I bought a mid-nineties Raleigh Tactic hybrid commuter bicycle from a local auction for $205 today.
I took the opportunity to check it out and ride it around the warehouse before bidding and it seems to be in pretty good condition. There's no rust on the frame, chain, or cassette, the wheels run true, and the braking action is firm. Problems I've identified are:

1) The grips have turned brittle and need replacement.
2) The rear derailleur doesn't pick up the chain slack when I backpedal.
3) The gear shift levers are stiff. It has thumb shift levers and I remember other bicycles having more of a clicking action.

It's really more than I wanted to pay, but the local used bike prices are pretty inflated and a new bicycle is well outside my budget ($300). I'm planning to do 4 mile commutes every day or two to campus from my apartment because I've been paying $12 - $15 for on-campus parking when I have meetings. Aside from getting a helmet and a bike lock, any advice?

Comments

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    drasnor said:

any advice?

Don't get run over. Also, what's the gas mileage on that thing?

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    I'd recommend replacing the brake pads. When a bike sits around for years the pads dry out and that can lead to brake fade when you least want it to happen - hard emergency braking. You can get pretty decent ones from REI for $7.00 per pair. I'm assuming you have a local REI to take a look at them in person to make sure they'll fit. These are the ones I put on the bike I fixed up after it had been sitting for a while. If not any local bike shop will carry similar pads, but usually they have to put in a higher margin to keep the doors open, so you'll pay around $12.00 for the same thing.

Other than that you can perform your own servicing and adjustment for practically free (bike shops usually charge between $40 and $90 for a tune up) - which should get your derailleurs back in proper adjustment and that should fix the problem with the backpedaling chain slack. This guy has a great website (great content, not great web design) with loads of technical information on how to tune and adjust a bike. Here's a link to his article on derailleur adjustment.

While we're on the subject of chains, I also recommend using a chain lube designed for the purpose - I use Dumonde Tech but I've also heard good things about Pedro's. Gear oil or motor oil will attract grime and become counterproductive relatively quickly, and sprays like WD-40 aren't really lubricants for such applications as the chain.

I can't tell from the photo - is your shifter/derailleur set Shimano or SRAM? It looks like an indexed shift system, which should give you a more 'clicky' feel and the shifters really shouldn't be stiff. If the derailleur adjustment doesn't clear up the problem there might be some corrosion inside the derailleur cables, but you can find reasonably priced replacments with teflon lined tubes that work like a charm.

Overall it looks like a really nice bike and is probably a sound purchase.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    Also, check out the shifter housings. You should be able to remove a plate to actually see the cable wound up inside the housing. Take a look in there, make sure the cable is not bound up in there/free of dirt and grime. Clean it out if neccessary.

After you have cleaned up the shifter housings and checked all cables you will want to correct your derailleurs (mechanisms that move the chain up and down the gears). There are videos on YouTube on how to adjust the front and rear derailleurs. It can be a little tricky to get a smooth sift across all gears.

Your rode the bike around, but listen when you pedal. It should be smooth, if you hear any grinding or noise you might need to replace the bottom bracket bearings.

For 50 bucks, taking it in to a Bike shop for a Pro tune up might not be a bad idea if its still within your budget.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    Remind me to subscribe to my own threads. The shifters are SRAM indexed shifters with below-the-bar triggers. Pedaling was smooth without any noises. Whether or not I try to do it myself or take it into a shop is going to be a function of quality of available bike shops; I've had some bad experiences in the past with one of them and I'm asking around to see if any of the others are worth the money. Thanks for the advice!