SWTOR Announces Free-to-play

trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
edited August 2012 in Gaming
In an effort to bring the "M"'s to this MMORPG, a free-to-play option will be launched alongside subscriptions this fall. Not many details are available yet, but more will be coming soon.

see: http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    Is there even time to play all of these games?
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    For real. It was bad enough Borderlands 2, Darksiders 2, Guild Wars 2 and now this...
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    Man am I happy I dropped 60 bucks + 3 months subscription for this game just to make it free. Why didn't I follow my rule of not buying games new on this game as well?

Not like the game was even any good when there was a lot of people to play.
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    I got roped-in one of the free weeks to play, but I couldn't stand the 60 bucks and subscription. Also D3 had just come out.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Previous subscribers get a fair bit of bonuses when the F2P stuff hits, so it's not like you're getting screwed out of everything. Sucks that you didn't like the game, but it's not like they're shafting, intentionally or otherwise, current or previous paying customers.
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    So no clue why just now I'm trying this, but I'm trying this. Have a 17 sage and 12 scoundrel on the east coast servers. The personal ship aspect is neat, but the ship combat is... Not what I expected.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    I played it for a bit but ended up removing my sub due to time constraints. The issue with removing your sub is that if you ever want to play again on the same account you have to resubscribe again. I wasn't impressed.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    MrTRiot said:

I played it for a bit but ended up removing my sub due to time constraints. The issue with removing your sub is that if you ever want to play again on the same account you have to resubscribe again. I wasn't impressed.

um, no you don't.

I'm finishing up my BH story now on F2P that was originally subscriber.

JBoogaloo
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Ditto to @fatcat with a SW that I have.
    I think I'm the only one still significantly playing this, right? :(
  • Making it free does not make it suck any less.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    Snarkasm said:

Actually I just installed it last night and I think @midga did to.

Look up/add/whatever "HK_did_no_wrong".
    Cliff's a funny guy!

What server are you on?
    Cliff_Forster
    Been dicking about on "The Red Eclipse" but will make a more serious character on whatever server suits.
    edited March 2013
    Heheheheh, all of my Euro chars are on TRE. Want a guild invite? I run one here :P
    Sounds good, I'm a complete noob with SW:TOR/MMORPGs in general but I'm learning.
    After all, I gotta get my sci-fi RPG fix somewhere.
    all my current toons are on Begeren Colony

edited March 2013
    Snarkasm said:

I wouldn't say I'm dedicated active, but I have a Lvl 34 Sentinel, 26 Juggernaut, 16 Operative and lvl 5 Consular currently

My original (icrontic) Marauder and Powertech are on Prophecy of the Five I think, haven't touched them
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I did install it. I am HFMudd. Point me to whatever server is the Basil server and I'll play for a few hours most likely. I doubt I'll go long-term by any stretch.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    fatcat said:

um, no you don't.

I still have the email somewhere when I canceled my sub if you would like to see it. It clearly states that my account will be unplayable unless I resubscribe and F2P is not valid.

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    Maybe now I can finish my BH story
    MrTRiot said:

fatcat said:

um, no you don't.

I still have the email somewhere when I canceled my sub if you would like to see it. It clearly states that my account will be unplayable unless I resubscribe and F2P is not valid.

don't know what to tell ya then, for several of us that were subscribers are playing F2P
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    I'd definitely want to hook up with you cats. Someone tell me a (non PVP) server and I'll get a toon or two rolled up. I've been bumming around the eastside servers just out of proximity, but I'd imagine anywhere should be playable.

Part of what I find interesting/enjoyable is that starting a new char lets you run with a different story. Also, I've been enjoying the game enough I threw them $5, and they actually give you some nice little bonuses for it (if you were f2p to begin with).
    edited March 2013
    Basil and I are on The Red Eclipse in the EU. I have chars on both sides, so doesn't matter much, but I'm guild leader for the Republic side guild I'm in, and we *are* looking for members...
    Basil
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Hi, I'm downloaded this gaem today and what do?
    Log in, pick a region, pick a server, pick a storyline, play 10 levels, pick an advanced class, and enjoy! :) Maybe decide what you want your role to be first so you don't accidentally roll a smuggler if you want to be a tank.
    Snarkasm said:

Basil and I are on The Red Eclipse in the EU. I have chars on both sides, so doesn't matter much, but I'm guild leader for the Republic side guild I'm in, and we *are* looking for members...

I wonder what the lag would be when I stalk out your guild :p

JBoogaloo
    Only one way to find out!
    JBoogaloo
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I've been getting about 150ms, and it's been entirely unnoticeable gameplay-wise.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    So I should finish my download today thanks to full interwebz :D