Unresponsive Core2 Quad system

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited August 2012 in Hardware
I have a Core2 Quad Q6700 system built on an Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus motherboard. I left it unattended for about 2 hours and when I went to shut it down, I found it unresponsive to keyboard or mouse input and with case and video card fans revving at top speed. There was no image on the monitor. I tested the power supply = GOOD. I replaced the video card = no difference. I checked all connections = no difference. I reset the CMOS = no difference. I get no boot or beeps of any kind. I am suspecting the motherboard but could it be the processor? I have no other Intel platform or Intel CPU to test either one. Do those high revving fans point to one vs. the other? Something else?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    Have you tried different RAM? To my knowledge, high-speed case fans are BIOS trying to cool overheating case, but overheating CPU could cause case overheating-- so as to CPU or Mobo, symptoms given lean toward mobo but not definitive to that.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Check the RAM?
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    My other PC's are DDR3 based while this C2 Quad is DDR2 so I don't have any RAM to swap out for testing. However, I removed both modules and tried a boot without RAM = no beeps from motherboard. I put each module (2) back in individually and attempted boot ups = no motherboard beeps with either module. My sense of a motherboard demise grows.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    @Tushon....................JACKPOT!!! You had better buy a lottery ticket my friend; your CMOS battery fix was on the money! It sprang to life almost immediately after I put in a new battery. Because of this system's age, the last thing I wanted to do was buy a new motherboard. Now, I don't have to. It's good for another 10,000 miles!

Thanks to everyone for the assistance!
    Tushon
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Happy to try, if Tushon had not suggested the CMOS battery I might have suggested it, but that worked and that is what counts.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Very nice. I had to add that in an edit, so I'm glad I did.
    Funny. I have had CMOS batteries go out in other systems but never with these kind of symptoms. I usually experienced the tell tale computer clock losing time but not racing fans and refusal to boot all at once. I guess the system forgot who it was in just a few hours.
    Tushon said:

Very nice. I had to add that in an edit, so I'm glad I did.

Me too!