Job openings @ Vanilla Forums

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited September 2012 in Community
We're looking for a support person and a junior UI designer: http://www.vanillaforums.com/info/hiring

If you knew some PHP, it's put you well into the lead for the support person. Either job is possible to do remotely, despite the "based in Montreal" bit at the bottom.

Vanilla's a small startup - there's only five of us. As the support person, you'd be working primarily with me; I'd be your 'level 2' support. The designer is mostly for doing Vanilla themes for the hosted service and custom client themes, but could evolve into more core stuff if you have the chops for it.

Happy to answer any questions public or private.
Garg

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    I would love to telecommute! Any clues on salary range? You can reply by PM if it's sensitive info.
    Zanthian
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    The support job would probably be around 40K for a Montreal local depending on your experience and skill. That probably changes for telecommuters, and I don't know about the UI job. If you're staying in the US, I'd assume you'd be a contract employee like me since they don't yet have a US-based accountant etc. That of course changes the math (and therefore what you'd request) since there'd be no health insurance and additional taxes.
    edited September 2012
    Tim (my coworker) summarized the support job really well: Be the knowledge cache layer between the developers and clients. So, of course you won't know the answer the first time, so you'll ask one of us and then remember/record the solutions so you can operate increasingly independently as you learn how everything works. It's a little technical, but mostly organizational & lots of high-quality communication. And, there's certainly a ton of room for increasing your technical chops as you go.
  • One of my current responsibilities is level 3 support for the apps I administer, so your description excites me, but I am certain they will be able to find someone with much lower salary requirements than me to fill the position.
    edited September 2012
    GHoosdum said:

One of my current responsibilities is level 3 support for the apps I administer, so your description excites me, but I am certain they will be able to find someone with much lower salary requirements than me to fill the position.

Yeah, they're both definitely junior positions. If you already have a solid support job at a small to medium-sized company the pay won't be incentive to jump.

To me, the ideal candidate is someone who's, say, looking to jump into the SaaS (software as a service) world from some other tech job. Or, maybe a recent college graduate who didn't major in CS but maybe is starting to learn to code. Or, maybe someone who did a support-based internship looking for the next step. Huge opportunity for someone getting started; not terribly attractive to someone established in the field.
    On the other hand, I'd say Vanilla is pretty flexible. I think we'd be interested in hearing about variations on the posted position. Maybe you want to do support but you feel like you're pretty rad at PHP and want to do some minor dev work too. Maybe you want to do support AND create themes. Write an awesome cover letter and say so.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Um, weird question-- I am NOT a great coder, but I know how to express myself and over 30 years have evolved into a generalist. I am interested in how Vanilla works. Could I start at a lower rate and help out with support and work into full support role?

Um, weird question-- I am NOT a great coder, but I know how to express myself and over 30 years have evolved into a generalist. I am interested in how Vanilla works. Could I start at a lower rate and help out with support and work into full support role?

Hi John, I appreciate the interest. I don't think Vanilla's looking for that sort of position. You can join the open source community though and get involved that way if you feel strongly about it.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Well, had to cover that base, maybe at worst this will chase away folks who are just beginners at using Vanilla. I wanted to get deep into the workings of Vanilla, have dev tool (Dreamweaver) that support among other things PHP dev, and would need to learn PHP also. So, if you need someone who already knows PHP at least some, as well as HTML 4.0 and 5.0 and some CSS (which I know and which Dreamweaver supports dev of also), I think I would say that PHP should be a required thing or at least said as a DEFINITE plus if I were writing the requirements-- but I am not, best of luck finding someone who fits into that category.