Feasibility of "bounty hunting"

TushonTushon I'm scared, CoachAlexandria, VA Icrontian
I'm curious about people's thoughts on the feasibility of having a bounty hunting gang. Obviously, the toons invovled would have to have decently high skills in combat (including cloaking), ship skills of the right level (some frigs for pointing and crusiers/BCs for damage?) but what else? Is this even a decent idea? I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of/try it, so if you know of internet resources for such a thing, point me away.

My interest lies in my freighter getting popped in .4 and being interested in PVP anyways, but having that inherent "do the right thing" mentality.

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    It's hard to bounty hunt I believe due to the way the bounties system works, coupled with war decs. Don't get me wrong, I love the concept, but I think game mechanics tend to hinder its viability. I'd imagine the first time you target a bountied player you'd find your group war-dec'd within the day.
  • shwaip said:

We don't need their scum.

Simply hitting the LOL button was not enough! Well played Sir!

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    BuddyJ said:

It's hard to bounty hunt I believe due to the way the bounties system works, coupled with war decs. Don't get me wrong, I love the concept, but I think game mechanics tend to hinder its viability. I'd imagine the first time you target a bountied player you'd find your group war-dec'd within the day.

I know the basics of war decs (corp pays concord to ignore hostilities for a week, repays, etc ... from our side, you have to be careful to not roam around alone or unaware) but what about the bounty system makes that no fun? If you got war dec'd by a whole pirate corp, that seems like a net positive if you play your cards right.

EDIT: devblog for Retribution expansion that address a lot of bounty hunter stuff http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=73443
    edited October 2012
    OIC bounty hunting is getting a revamp in Retribution. I'll read moar.

//time passes//

Okay yeah, this sounds hella cool. I'd be totally in. Probably doesn't pay as much as other professions but it'd be totally fun drop in on somebody and ruin their day. The tears will flow.
  • Everyone knows that tear mining is where the money is at. Screw omber
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    Mining? Ewww! Just run incursions, get rich and be quiet :P
    BuddyJ said:

Okay yeah, this sounds hella cool. I'd be totally in. Probably doesn't pay as much as other professions but it'd be totally fun drop in on somebody and ruin their day. The tears will flow.

That's the spirit. What skills should I be aiming toward to make this a great success? I can PM a skill API for someone to look at if that makes the most sense (for EVEMon or w/e)
    To be a great success, we'd need to fleet up with a single shield/armor type and have a few roles defined (DPS, logi, and tacklers). Usually the hard part for that is getting logistics. Having never done this, that's all I know.
  • Logistics will probably be easier now that they're adding logistics frigate roles.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    I just saw this in the "all discussions" section, and for a moment there I thought you were talking about getting into real-life bounty hunting.

And here I was getting all excited in anticipation of all the replies that would inevitably follow. You got my hopes up, @Tushon!
    DocFraziermidga
    This could all be a code...
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    Bandrik said:

I just saw this in the "all discussions" section, and for a moment there I thought you were talking about getting into real-life bounty hunting.

And here I was getting all excited in anticipation of all the replies that would inevitably follow. You got my hopes up, @Tushon!

This is great. lol

Awesome and I'm quite excited about this. The important part is that bounties don't affect aggression legality (i.e. if you attack someone in high sec first, CONCORD will still attack you).
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Currently setting up a basic mining operation before I have the funds/insurance to set up in bounty-hunting.

If anyone wants to run that with me and/or help me get there that would be awesome.
    edited June 2013
    Honestly, if you want to perform bounty hunting as a career, you want combat experience rather than mining. Mining is still one of the lowest ISK/hr in the game and the guys who "max" at it use a shitload of accounts and multibox to do so.

An easy way for you to get combat experience and not spend money would be to join Dreddit, so that you'll have access to free as in beer ships from frigates through some t1 cruisers, fleets on the daily, mentoring in all aspects of the game available to you, tons of info on wiki/forums, etc. I'm obviously biased/invested in TEST and null sec, but it's vastly more fun than I had in high sec. I also get my high sec fill with @Harudath via a joint industry corp. You are welcome to join our corp and mine your heart out, but if you really want to do mining, there are more dedicated operations out there. I'll give you 50 mil to dick around with when I get on tonight, but evemail me to remind me (Tushon Ormand or Elysse Ormand). You can make the same/better money in nullsec performing various activities and we're starting to have more coordinated mining activities due to the changes they made with the patch that deployed today. Your call and I'd be happy to talk with you more about it.

Back to bounty hunting: you'll want to become an efficient killer and then explore the mechanics of kill rights (I can point you at resources when you're ready) if you're gonna stay in high sec.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I only researched one level in mining so I still have a ton of leeway, I think to switch over to combat entirely.
    Ilriyas said:

I only researched one level in mining so I still have a ton of leeway, I think to switch over to combat entirely.

Oh you always have leeway in terms of what to do, though most people prefer to "focus" on a career for their character (i.e. train up industry on one character, combat on another, etc) or use alt-accounts (like I do). Feel free to train up some more on mining and try it out for a while. I just found it boring and that blowing people up was much more fun. You can run PI (a mostly passive money making thing with ~2 weeks of training and minimal investment of ISK) or mining in null AND blow up anyone you want to try and fight.
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    i'm gonna need to get back in touch, in-game. ever since that one corp dissolved, and they removed static sites, I haven't been too active aside from the occasional attempt to scan down a DED site
    That corp has been reborn if you want to try WH living again. Same offer stands for vouches into Dreddit if you want a taste of war-torn null-sec life.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Fair warning... The TEST failscade has probably begun. Maybe... Possibly.
    lulz. I welcome the slopes that will break off J4G not participants. Bring in new blood who wants insane fights. We've pull from 1000-1400 for the big fights during US prime, euro prime and alarm-clocking for both.