MechWarrior Online hits open beta October 16th

BasilBasil NubcaekEngland Icrontian
edited October 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Pew pew
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    Don't forget, Icrontians, if you're interested in slagging some mechs with us, you should totally get in on our mercenary corp, Dargon's Draught. We have voice chat and beer :D
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    A random note: I tried both this and Hawken. Hawken's very first thing was offering a tutorial. I never played a MechWarrior game and felt totally out of sorts and had no clue what to do. I knew general movement/aiming, but didn't know how to vent heat, etc. There was no keybinding menu in the game to look at, and I don't think even a closed beta should require you to look through pages of a forum for stuff like that. That was a big turnoff for me. Maybe getting in with some IC will make it more enjoyable.
    JBoogaloo
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    @Tushon, we can help you out with learning the rules mate if you ever feel like hopping on just give @Midga, @Basil, @QCH, @Drasnor, @UPSLynx, @Thrax, or myself a shout on steam or something and we'll set about arranging a group.

(Midga, Basil, QCH, and I play pretty much every night thus far)
    Will do next time I am looking to get my mech on.
    @Tushon How was Hawken? I signed up, but I haven't gotten in to try it yet.
    I only had time to run through tutorial, will let you know ... sunday? maybe late tonight
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    Tushon said:

A random note: I tried both this and Hawken. Hawken's very first thing was offering a tutorial. I never played a MechWarrior game and felt totally out of sorts and had no clue what to do. I knew general movement/aiming, but didn't know how to vent heat, etc. There was no keybinding menu in the game to look at, and I don't think even a closed beta should require you to look through pages of a forum for stuff like that. That was a big turnoff for me. Maybe getting in with some IC will make it more enjoyable.

I agree 100%. It took me weeks to understand all the stuff to just live throughout a match. Getting in on Chat with the Dargon's Draught group (us listed above) makes it easier to config and best utilize the different things. Good news, in the almost 8 weeks I've been playing, the game has changed so much. Now much of the info I needed to learn the game is embedded in the game (damage, heat dissipation rates, Overall max damage) but I still use outside sources to understand weapons and such. I hope they have a great tutorial for Go Live and walk through how to buy a mech, build a mech, setup key bindings and even things like cycling weapon groups.
    midga
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    can you still get the founders packs after open beta starts?
    UPSLynx said:

can you still get the founders packs after open beta starts?

They're closing it down on the 14th so act fast.
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    So is MechWarrior 5 canceled altogether?

So is MechWarrior 5 canceled altogether?

Mechwarrior 5 evolved into Mechwarrior Online.
    midga
    If you need help figuring out which mech you want from the founder's pack, if getting one, let me know.

Also, for anyone who's interested in joining up, shoot me a PM saying so with an email address to add to our Google Group, and your in-game (/in-forum cause it's the same thing) handle if you have it. I'll get you all added, and I'll help anyone with anything I can getting-started-wise. I'm pretty familiar with the game and the VOIP setup (we use C3 because PTT actually works through the game with it, because the game will launch it for you, and because it's called C3), so I can likely either answer your questions, or point you to where you can get the answers.

I can't wait to have a full group of us on. It's gonna rock so many socks.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    I just signed up yesterday. I didn't even realize when it was going to open, but I'm glad that I signed up.
    I'll probably go with Hunchback for the founder. One of my all time favorites.
    midga
    @UPSLynx It's a good one. Just be aware that you don't get to choose your variant. The base variant (AC/20) is probably my favorite anyway, though. Sadly (sorta) I've gotten to the point where I almost never play anything without jumpjets now. Just love that maneuverability too much.
    OPEN BETA HAS BEEN PUSHED BACK

There is not a date as of yet, but to address concerns expressed by the community, PGI has decided to postpone opening up to the public, among other things. Full details can be found in the official post by Lead Designer Paul Inouye.

No word in that post about whether this will extend the time you are able to purchase a founder's pack, so assume the cutoff is still tomorrow and jump on it while it's hot!
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    SOON.

IlriyasUPSLynxDocFrazier
    Purchased, with Hunchback in tow.
    IlriyasBasil
    Whew. Good thing - Founders program did indeed end last night.
    midga