Assassin's Creed and Steam

KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it.KCMO Icrontian
Although I've put this in a gaming thread it might be better suited for a software thread. Mods can feel free to change it to the most appropriate thread.

So there was a sale on the Assassin's Creed franchise on Steam the other day to help hype people up for the release of Assassin's Creed 3. I capitalized on that sale and bought the whole franchise as I had only played the first two on my 360 years ago and wanted to relive the experience.

There is apparently an issue with at least the first game maybe the others where the game stutters and freezes on loading and when fighting or killing enemies. According to the internets there are only two solutions. The first option is to totally disconnect from the internet, not just play in offline mode but to totally shut down internet access. This option probably has the least amount of hassle but I think a much larger inconvenience.

The other option is to modify this file C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\Hosts and make the IP of Ubisoft's server a localhost. This is the option I've been trying to take however, when I try to save the changed file a popup saying the file can't be saved as well as reminding me to make sure the path file is correct. I've tried to change the file name as well and even though I'm logged in as an admin on my PC I recieve a pop up saying only admins have permission to change this file.

My question to you Icrontic is: Is there a step I'm missing in the file change that is preventing me from saving? Or is there possibly another solution to getting this game to work without having to disconnect from the internet?

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    Win 7?

Click start and type Notepad, when you see notepad come up right click it and run as administrator. File -> Open the hosts file, edit and then try to save.

Edit: When you go to open the file from C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\ you will need to select "All files" from the filetype box next to the filename box.

Even though you are logged in as an admin, by default programs do not run as admin for security.

-Digi
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    BobbyDigi said:

Even though you are logged in as an admin, by default programs do not run as admin for security.

-Digi

Do you hear that? That is the sound of me derping.
    Well editing the files didn't do the trick. I guess I'll just unplug the internet for now. Unless I can find a better solution.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I had a lot of trouble with stuttering controls in all assassins creed games. The solution for me was to switch to an x box controller. Don't know why, but that fixed it for me.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    I went in playing with a 360 controller so unfortunately that isn't a solution for me.