Nexus 4 cool kids club

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    I rooted for certain apps (chiefly, Cerebus, Aldiko Sync and ES File Explorer) using this toolkit. Makes it pretty easy. I haven't personally altered anything else, though I'm very tempted to go back to Swype keyboard (way better prediction for me). Not sure if there is a non-destructive root process or not, but I just wiped out my phone and then updated to latest all within the toolkit.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    swype over swiftkey?
    TiberiusLazarus
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    swiftkey > all
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    Swype > all. Significantly better prediction for me as well, even without training. Swiftkey was hilariously bad.
    Ryder said:

swype over swiftkey?

I had a similar experience to Thrax. Hilariously bad might be a stretch :D, but it certainly wasn't close to Swype Beta for me.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Swype>Jelly Bean>Swiftkey in my experience
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    is anyone using a screen protector? I've picked up a couple small scratches near the edges and I want to get one before I scratch it more noticeably.
    I bought one and continue to not put it on. I'm using a Poetic slim back case though.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    No case, no screen protect, nothin'.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    {Galaxy Note II FTW}
    Snarkasm said:

No case, no screen protect, nothin'.

You rebel. Don't you know that's how you get VD?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    I HAVE heard that.
  • brightbright Icrontian
    I'm joining with my recently acquired white nexus 4. I have much to learn for I know nothing.
    I'm caving... ordering a Nexus 4... Galaxy Nexus is about to become a hand-me-down to my fiancee.
  • brightbright Icrontian
    Are you getting the white one or the black one?
    Nice on both of you. Welcome to the pure google or whatever you want without objection masterrace.
    Black one. Not a fan of white electronics for whatever reason. Sprung for the 16GB model too.

Also, I've been part of the Pure Android master race since the Nexus One.
  • brightbright Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    My nexus 4 is having trouble displaying images sent from other phones. I'm using my old at&t simcard. I read it might have to do with apn settings? The images display as a white box with a play button which shows the image but I can't do anything with it, and after 20 seconds it closes.
    MMS?
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    So, my RAZR is getting annoyingly slow. Not sure what is causing it, but I've been wanting to switch phones for some time now. Is the Nexus 4 still the cool kids phone, or is something new coming soon?
    Nothing new or relevant not really coming until Sept/Oct.
  • brightbright Icrontian
    Yes, I believe MMS.
    Yesss... Nexus 4 arrived today. It is so beautiful. Also, I didn't think it would feel this much faster than my GNex.

Furthermore, adb backup and adb restore have made switching to a new phone way too easy. I almost miss the 4 hours of getting everything set back up again. Almost.
  • brightbright Icrontian
    It seems I have to update my APN settings to fix my MMS issue.

What screen protectors are you guys using for your nexus?
    So, I did some maths, and thought you all would be interested (or not, whatevs.)

Verizon
    $104 monthy rate, includes 20% discount (from my work) share plan with 6Gb of data
    $200 - Samsung galaxy 4 (no Nexus...... bastards.)

iWireless (T-mobile)
    $55 monthly rate (unlimited 4G, only $35 for 3Gb.)
    $369 - Nexus 4
    $40 activation (guess)
    $170 contract buy out fee

Assuming a 1 year period:
    Verizon: 1448 + tax
    iWireless: 1244 + tax, with my choice of phone and unlimited 4G.

If I keep my current rate ($89 per month, 4Gb data) and compare to 3Gb iWireless + unlimited 3G
    Verizon: $1268 + tax
    iWireless: $1124 + tax

I ran this math by the customer service people and they were like.... well... you should check your coverage. I plan to, with a Nexus 4 I purchase from iWireless, and return in 14 days if I don't like it. They were completely unwilling to change my current plan. I can't imagine what it'd be like if you didn't have a discount from work. It doesn't make any sense.

Before you scoff, I routinely get upwards of 4Gb of data on my phone as is, so this is a relatively big deal for me. Also, I think I'd actually be ok with the 3Gb and 3G back fill, but at $55 a month, I think I can afford the unlimited.
    Update: iWireless only has 2g service here until "the end of the year".

shit.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    If anyone is interested on T-mobile's site they are advertising a free wireless charger with the Nexus 4 and $0 down with their no contract plans.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    I guess 4.3 is getting pushed out OTA starting today! Anyone have it yet?
    pfftch.... is there really anyone running stock these days?
  • Yes.