Need Eating Advice (Doctor's orders)

IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy CanadianToronto, Ontario Icrontian
edited November 2012 in Fitness
So here's the gist ladies and gentlemen, I'm small time.

Today I went to my doctor to check my arm, I added some weight training aside from my running routine recently and the result was that I woke up today and I couldn't move it past a 90 degree angle without causing pain, this never happened before when I used to workout hence visiting the doctor.

Basically I've learned a few things 1: I damaged some muscles in my elbow, hence the pain
2: The cause of this is my change in eating habits since I reached university

Effectively I haven't been eating properly enough to sustain the exercise I've been putting myself through and the result is that my body doesn't have enough energy to create muscle from the workouts, all I've been doing is burning fat, and as of the last few days damaging muscles and not having the proper nutrition to repair them

My doctor issued me a sort of ultimatum, change my eating habits, or stop running. The issue is that I enjoy running so that's automatically out but I have no idea what I should eat to get the nutrients I need to support said exercise. Another issue beyond my not knowing what to eat is that is that for the last month or two I've eaten, at most once a day and on weekends often not at all or eating something incredibly unhealthy like a peanut butter sandwich (Not nearly meeting the number of calories I actually need per day)

So seeing all the help Icrontic's offered to others looking for fitness advice I'd like some help.

What can I change (Beyond eating more than once a day of course) in my eating schedule, or rather what foods should I make sure I have per meal to get the proper nutrition required so that I can continue to run like I've been doing.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Start with: What do you eat?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    @Thrax , can you help?
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    My meals have pretty much consisted of either a lunchmeat sandwich (Lettuce, onions, pickles, ham, roast beef) and a 500ml carton of milk or a hamburger and...a 500ml carton of milk.

This is quite literally my diet, the sandwich I eat pretty much 5 days out of 4 and that being I only eat it once per day.

Weekends as I said are either nothing or (As I said) a peanut butter sandwich.

To reiterate: I'm an idiot please help me.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I mean, you need to step up and be a man about this. Just take control of your diet. Saying "help me" isn't going to enable us to put food in your face. Just eat more. What you're eating is fine. Eat more of it.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    you could also take a supplementary multivitamin daily, one popular brand here in US is Centrum.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2012

I mean, you need to step up and be a man about this. Just take control of your diet. Saying "help me" isn't going to enable us to put food in your face. Just eat more. What you're eating is fine. Eat more of it.

Plain and simple, you seem to just be looking for reinforcement here as you already know what to do.

You said you only eat about 700 calories once a day. If you are a runner, you probably burn that in a single session. So, your body is eating itself to sustain your base metabolic needs. Google a BMR calculator, input your stats. Figure out how many calories you burn from running. Add those two figures together. That is at a minimum what you need to eat.

If your doctor told you you are underweight, eat more than that number. If so, healthy fats are your easiest way to eat more calories, i.e., whole dairy products and not so lean meats.
    GnomeQueen
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    Protein! Add eggs for breakfast and chicken breast for dinner (with a healthy side of veggies and fruits). Get some protein powder to mix into your milk, and protein bars to have in your backpack for snacks. And yes, definitely figure out how many calories you need to eat to get to a healthy weight and eat that many. Eating less than that or more than that is just a recipe for disaster.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    As a tool to help with this, sign up for either My Fitness Pal or Fat Secret (they're both free services last I checked). Use them to track what you eat. They will both (if I remember correctly) tell you how many calories you should be eating per day to maintain your current body weight. Just make sure you're eating that many. A single burger or sandwich a day is not going to do it. You have to eat multiple meals. If you feel like you can't, then you need to seek professional (probably psychiatric) help. It sounds like you may have an eating disorder.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    1) Find out how many calories you burn while running.

2) Add that to 2000.

3) That's how many calories you have to eat to maintain your weight.

4) Be a man, go to the store, and start putting food in your face on a regular schedule (every 3-5 hours) until you've achieved #3 by the end of the day. You're smart enough to know what's crap and isn't crap.
    midga
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    Stumbled upon this site just now.
    midga
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I'm glad you're making effort to talk about it, but seriously dude, you're asking for advice on how to not starve. I think that, in addition to doing exactly what Thrax said, you should probably seek out whatever counseling services are offered on campus and sit down with them for a few sessions. I'm not saying you have a problem, I'm not saying we don't want to talk to you, but IMO signs point to that being potentially helpful to you.
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    I second using MyFitness Pal to track calories. It has a huge database of restaurant and prepackaged foods, and just added a barcode scanner. It tracks exercise too, but it isn't the greatest.

Cliff_Forster
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    In summary:
    What you eat is fine, you just need to eat more of it adding more variety would only help as well. To optimize it to the fullest, follow Thrax and Magic's advice and if need be, use those sites to help you plan/manage with your time and budget if need be.
    Ilriyas said:

a 500ml carton of milk.

What happened to your ... nevermind.

BasilBobbyDigi
  • RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    midga said:

I'm glad you're making effort to talk about it, but seriously dude, you're asking for advice on how to not starve. I think that, in addition to doing exactly what Thrax said, you should probably seek out whatever counseling services are offered on campus and sit down with them for a few sessions. I'm not saying you have a problem, I'm not saying we don't want to talk to you, but IMO signs point to that being potentially helpful to you.

I second that. Eating more and counting calories is great, and it will help you, but that would just address the symptoms and not the cause. Unless you're suffering from debilitating pain every time you eat something, in which case you need to see a gastrointestinal doctor. Either way, I'd also recommended talking to a nutritionist.
  • I know several runners that will load some pasta a couple hours before a run. It's cheap energy.
  • How goes your progress toward healthy eating?
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Great, I suppose I mean disregarding the quality of the catered food (University food plans are really awful and we don't have cooking facilities) everything's back on track. Getting back home in a few weeks where healthy home cooked meals await.

I don't know, says a lot about food quality at a place when just the year before there was a student protest directly related to food quality/diversity. Even more so when despite changes being made it's still crappy and unhealthy.
  • And are you eating more than one sandwich a day?
  • Having worked in a University cafeteria, I do have to say that cooking for that many people is exceptionally difficult. Especially when most of your employees are students and the staff budget is usually much smaller than it should be. Not that they shouldn't serve better food, it's just that often their hands are tied by constraints from higher up.