Hard Ciders

I've discovered that if there is anything I like at all It is some cider! In specific Woodchuck. So far my favorite is the Fall Woodchuck, and I tend to favor the sweeter drinks. I haven't been able to try any other brands yet, and I figure there is a high chance I might like some others... Suggestions on what to try?

Comments

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Bulmers is pretty good; I've tried some of the fancier ones too, but I can't remember any of them in specific that I liked right now. Strongbow is like the PBR of cider; it's kind of nice because it's light and not too sweet.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    Strongbow is good. You should definitely try it
    mertesn
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    hornsbys tastes good. i'm willing to bet someone will say it's not good cider though.

also rum + warmed regular cider.

laura loves ace's pumpkin cider. we were kinda meh about their apple though.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Seconding Strongbow. It's not as 'fruity flavorful' as something like Woodchuck is, but it is a classic, and I love it.
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    As long as you didn't expect it to be a proper beer, Leinenkugels Apple Spice was absolutely effing awesome in my book. Sadly, they stopped making it some time ago.
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian
    I don't drink cider much, but I think McKenzie's is pretty good.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Angry Orchard
    midgaSignal
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    J.K. Scrumpy's Organic Hard Cider is amazing, but a bit more expensive.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    I had some of the Winter Woodchuck this weekend. Pretty good. It really goes downhill when the drink gets warm though. Warm hard cider really reminds me of vomit.
  • Well this should give me a list of some good ones to try :) I tried the winter woodchuck recently, I didn't care for it at all. It will take me a while to buy and try a bunch of these, but I will over time and inform you of my thoughts!

In summary so far here is the list we have:

Strongbow
    Angry Orchard
    J.K. Scrumpy's Organic Hard Cider
    McKenzie's
    Bulmers

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Note: Bulmers is also called Magners.
  • Update:
    Tried Angry Orchard's Crisp apple and liked it a lot :)
    I was hoping to get Strongbow this first time, but it was $11 while the others were $8 so I'll be trying it some other time. (What can I say I'm cheap!)
    UPSLynx
  • AlidraAlidra Metro Detroit Icrontian
    Crispin and Blackthorn
  • +1 for Strongbow, especially if you can find it on tap. Buffalo Wild Wings near me has it on tap (not sure if they all do) and it is somehow even better than from a can.

Woodchuck 802 is fantastic. It's more dry than the amber. Love it. The amber is good also. Wasn't a fan of the Private Reserve though.

Hornsby's I absolutely hate. Tastes too much like beer to me. Yuck.

I seem to recall Crispin being pretty good, but I haven't had it in quite a while.

There's another hard cider I tried recently, I think it was Fox Barrel Hard Cider. It was a really good spiced hard cider. Very natural, not filtered, seemed to add a lot of flavor (though you didn't really want to drink the last 1/8" or so).
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    Second the Fox Barrel. Its a nice, not too sweet pear cider. It might be a bit harder to find though (at least it is in my flyover state). Definitely don't drink that last 1/8" though :)
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
    1. Angry Orchard Crisp Apple
    2. Strongbow (+1 if on tap)
    3. Woodchuck 802
  • I bought a variety pack a while back and couldn't tell the different between the amber, granny smith and 802 woodchuck. I figure the granny smith has the least calories so probably the one I'll stick with :P however the fall is to die for!
  • wahaywahay Cincinnati, OH Member
    I liked all three Angry Orchard varieties.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    The only cider I've ever had is Magners, got to say I like it. Once the 14th hits I'm going to go on the hunt for others.
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    Another update: tried Crispins and wasn't a fan.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Soda said:

1. Angry Orchard Crisp Apple

Angry Orchard is my favorite whenever I go to World of Beer.
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    O hey I never posted about that.. I did try the Angry Orchard's Crisp Apple and loved it. By far better than woodchuck, although I haven't tried the crisp apple woodchuck and there are still a few other flavors of it I'll have to try.
  • I don't like mass market cider. I don't cider that often, but when I do.....

They only sell in 750ml bottles, but if you can get your hands on some Distillery Lane Ciderworks Kingston Black, or the Jefferson both are very good. I'd say the Kingston Black is more dry, not quite as sweet, the Jefferson is a sweeter more fruity variety. Both are hard apple ciders, but they drink more like wine. I think the alcohol content for each is somewhere around 8%.

http://distillerylaneciderworks.com/the-cider-2/

I don't care for Woodchuck and Angry Orchard, they tear my stomach up. I find them to be over-processed, and over-carbonated. To me, they are not real cider's, they are alternatives for would be beer drinkers.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Why not just make your own? It's actually pretty easy and inexpensive.
  • I made my own in college once. Was pretty good (though I could tell that a little bit of it had just started to turn to vinegar, didn't stop me from drinking it though).
  • aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    edited December 2014

@ardichoke said:
    +1 for Strongbow, especially if you can find it on tap. Buffalo Wild Wings near me has it on tap (not sure if they all do) and it is somehow even better than from a can.

Here in Indianapolis the pub I go to quite often, Red Lion Grog House in Fountain Square, has it on tap 24/7/365 (exaggeration). It is such a staple there that some people (including me) would raise a fuss (jokingly, of course) if they don't have it on tap.

Creeperbane2
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Ah the Red Lion, decent booze (Or so I've heard) and Burgers as big as ya head, (as I can testify)

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2014

Alright... so my preferred grocery store now has a "Tavern" with 50 taps. Usually about 5 of them are hard ciders. New things I've found that are amazing...

McKenzie's Seasonal Reserve: this seriously tastes like apple pie in a glass. It's spicy and sweet and delicious. It's also way better on tap though. I bought a six-pack of bottles, but it's somehow just not the same that way.

Blake's Hard Cider Co. Flannel Mouth: This is my new gold standard for hard cider. Also, it's made in Armanda, MI which is about a 50 minute drive from ICHQ (hint hint hint). It's sweet, just a little dry... seriously, it's dangerously good. I have a pint of it pretty much every time I go grocery shopping at this point. http://blakeshardcider.com/

Edit: Also, dat ridiculous video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dCeNYdI7DhY

mertesn
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@ardichoke said:
    McKenzie's Seasonal Reserve: this seriously tastes like apple pie in a glass. It's spicy and sweet and delicious.

Interesting. I'm about to start another batch (or two) of cider...I might have to experiment.