Tablet gift ideas that will work with existing Kindle account

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
About three years ago I bought my wife a Kindle which she has used extensively (daily, weekends, vacation, etc.) as she is a voracious reader. Now, she is showing interest in tablet PC's which I know nothing about. I am looking for guidance here on make, model, features, screen size etc. Ideally, any tablet I buy for her should sync with her Kindle account so she can access her books as well as purchase new offerings. I read that there is a Kindle App for Android that should allow her to do this. Am I correct? We have both wired and wireless networking here at home so she will be able to connect through that setup. Should I look at only wifi tablets or both wifi/4g? To date, we have not needed 3g/4g services so I don't know if I should plan for that or not. We don't use smartphones. Her primary usage for a tablet would be to carryover her Kindle books but also to do basic web surfing. Could I get some recommendations here? I thought the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 looked promising.

Comments

• JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    If she just wants her Kindle stuff and basic web-surfing, have you looked at just upgrading to the Kindle Fire? Just a thought :)
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    Yes, I have looked at the Kindle Fire, but I thought since she already has a Kindle, it might be best to get her something else. Also, I thought the Kindle Fire screens were a bit on the small side for web surfing.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Ah, ok. I thought I'd throw that out there since I wasn't sure exactly what you're looking for. I'm not an expert on tablets, but I believe @Fatcat has a pretty indepth knowledge of them. I'd see what his thoughts are. Hope ya find what'll suit her :)
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Yes, the kindle app will sync with your existing Kindle and allow you to read on it the same as you would on an actual Kindle. I have the HP Touchpad running Cyanogen 9 (ICS) and it works perfectly.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Pretty much any of the Android-based platforms will have the Kindle app available (I would be surprised if Nook allowed it, but who knows), and WinRT/Tablet Pro and iOS have Kindle app access as well.

The only thing you lose (and then, only if you're a Prime member) by going non-Kindle would be the Kindle Owner's Lending Library, which allows you to get a free book (from a particular selection) once every month. If you go Kindle Fire (which they have a 9" coming), you also have access to Prime instant video (provided you have Prime, again).
  • Nook does not have access to the Kindle app by default. It only has the Barnes & Noble app store by default. That said, you can root the Nook and install a full fledged Android ROM with Google Play (at least, you can with the original Nook Color which is the only one I have) at which point you could load the Kindle app.

That said, if you were going to go with an Android tablet, just get a Nexus 7 or 10.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    Thanks for all the info! Looks like I have some comparison shopping to do (best bang for biscuits).
    edited November 2012
    The Nexus 10 with the Kindle App looks like a very good choice. The display is exceptional. However, reading about it suggests it is having problems with crashes/freezes so I dunno. http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39879&q=reboot&colspec=ID Type Status Owner Summary Stars
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    @Ryder can speak some to that. I think his 10 is experiencing the same thing.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Jelly Bean 4.2.1 rolled out today
    It may be too soon to tell if the 4.2.1 update is the fix. The most recent problem report in my link above suggests it may not be. Disappointing. Maybe I should rethink the Kindle Fire HD 8.9.
    4.2.1 fixed the issues I was having with mine (mainly an occasional hot-boot), but it's a 7, not a 10.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Hmmm... no notification that 4.2.1 is available for the 10 yet. Just checked.
    edited November 2012
    I came across the Lenovo Ultrabook Yoga now available for about $1000 at Best Buy. http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/ideapad/yoga/yoga-13/ and http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/08/lenovo-yoga-convertible-laptop-tablet-coming-with-windows-8-rt/

Since she already has the basic Kindle WiFi e-reader, I thought this might be a good compromise between a tablet and our Alienware MX17 R4 notebook. The Yoga can fold and operate like a tablet having similar portability but also notebook PC features. I presume it could also run a Kindle App if wanted? Maybe not. Any thoughts?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Sure it can run a Kindle App if it runs Windows or Android. BTW, Best Buy may not be the best source, Lenovo sells direct also, and discounts web sales.
    After doing more research including reading more in Icrontic's Mobile Devices forum, I purchased an Asus Transformer Pad TF300T with a mobile dock keyboard. Now my questions are: 1) Are there any free word programs for android that are worth getting? and 2) What would you recommend for antivirus for android (I realize there is some debate whether android needs antivirus, but I would like to err on the side of caution.) Thanks!
    RE: 2:

I run Kaspersky Labs AV on my Toshiba tablet, being like you (cautious).
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Anti-virus is not necessary for Android. It's snake oil.

Google openly called the developers "charlatans and scammers."
    Thrax said:

Anti-virus is not necessary for Android. It's snake oil.

Google openly called the developers "charlatans and scammers."

That is like sying that Java had no need for AV. true. RAW Java did not, but there was malware that took advantage of badly written apps that were authored in Java. Even Linux has no need for AV for itself, but can pass back to Windows boxes viruses written for Windows type things via having them pass through the boxes.

So, IF there will never be an app that has an exploitable hole on the tablet and the Tablet will never share stuff written on it with Windows boxes, then NO AV please, agreed. BUT, he wanted to have a Word kind of app on the tablet, which opens up file sharing possibilities. And, he may have a person saving her files to a windows box for archiving. So, thus AV/antimalware software might be optionally useful.
    Interesting. I purchased the mobile dock keyboard thing to give her more flexibility in web surfing as well as the ability to do some note-taking word doc editing on-the-go things (she's a teacher). Any suggestions on productivity software for android?
    edited December 2012
    Well, the Asus Transformer Pad and Mobile Dock arrived. UPS gorillas (guerrillas) all but destroyed the carton. It was crushed to half its width. Amazingly, the Pad and Dock boxes inside remained pristine and, as far as I can tell, the units themselves are in good working order. Thanks NewEgg.................UPS not so much.

NewEgg's big warehouses have a UPS shipping hub right inside them. I'm sure they have an 'understanding'.
    P1010032