Any Icrontian's Good With Phones? Here's a Challenge for you!

MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
First I'll start with a little back story. My phone is an INQ Cloud Touch running android 2.2.1 that I bought a little over a year ago. It was decently priced and worked for what I needed it for. Unfortunately, INQ essentially abandoned the phone and was shortly delisted from the carrier I bought it from after my purchase. No big deal right?

About a month and a half ago the google play store just randomly started showing "no connection" errors every time I tried to download something. The store itself would load fine but downloads wouldn't even start. I also noticed my "installed" apps started showing up as just an empty white space.

Everything else on my phone works just as it should. The only issue I have is with the play store.

If it was through the cell phone network or 100mbit download WiFi I have at my house, no change. I was baffled and determined to see if I could fix the problem on my own...

I googled intensely for about two weeks and tried every suggestion I could think of until I became fed up and decided to contact google directly.

After 17 emails back and forth they have just continued to suggest I do the trouble shooting steps I had already done repeatedly until something changes. I have a feeling they've given up.

The steps are as follows

- Sign in and out of Google Talk to restore connection to our servers:

1. Go to your device’s app launcher, and press the Talk app
2. If you’re already signed into Talk, press Menu, and then touch Sign out
3. Launch Talk again to sign in (if you are unable to sign in, please let me know)

- Cancel the download and retry
- Ensure there is enough space on your device for the app(s) to install
- Reboot your device
- Clear the cache and data of Google Services Framework (Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications > All > Google Services Framework > Clear cache and Clear data)
- Clear the cache of the Google Play Store app (Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications > All > Play Store > Clear cache)
- Clear the Download Manager cache and data (Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications > All > Download manager > Clear cache and Clear data)
- Confirm there is strong connectivity on your device, and contact your mobile service provider if you aren't connected
- Uninstall updates to the Google Play Store app (Settings > Applications > Manage Applications; select "Play Store" under the "All" tab/filter, and touch "Uninstall updates")
- Unmount and remount the SD card (visit Menu > Settings > Storage > Unmount SD card; then Remount SD card from the same menu, or restart the device if the remount option isn't available)

All these suggestions did not help. I was also told to make sure my phone's clock had the correct time and to do a hard reset. Nothing helped...well, except for one thing. When I uninstalled the play store updates and reverted back to the android market place it would work perfectly for two minutes until it auto updated back to the play store.

Again, this all happened about a month and a half ago when I woke up one day. I hadn't done anything to my phone. I plugged it in, went to bed, woke up and had this issue.

Now my question to all the Icrontic techies out there is there anything at all that you can think of to attempt to fix my phone? I am completely high and dry. INQ has essentially given up on my phone, my carrier doesn't offer support on it anymore and google is just as baffled as I am.

Will you please help me with my woes Icrontic??

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Open the list of applications and click "clear data" for Google Play and Google Services Framework. Reboot the phone.

Also verify that you have no IP address set in the "proxy" box under the Access Point Names sub-menu in the Wireless & Network settings for your device.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    Cleared data for both and rebooted. Nothing.

The only thing under access points is my carrier, there is a proxy set up in the carrier's menu but I'm unable to alter it or anything else for that matter.
    Have you factory reset the phone?
    Yes. A total of three times now
    But when the play store updates to whatever the newest version is, it stops working correctly?
    Yes. The factory default android market place works fine until it auto updates to the play store. About two minutes from phone boot up

I can view the play store no problem. All the images and content loads fine (except for the blank 'installed' apps page). The problem is actually downloading applications.

I go to download an app, accept the app agreement, says it will download shortly and instantly get a no connection error from my phones notification window
    You may consider that the ROM on your phone has a bug being discovered by the play store, which updated several times recently.
    Any suggestions as to what to do about it? I looked at several ROMs but none of them seem to support my INQ Cloud Touch. From what I gathered it's because INQ put some sort of weird security on the factory default ROM.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    There is nothing on XDA regarding INQ devices, so that is highly indicative that you are SOL : /
    SOL isn't a solution... :-/
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I didn't claim it was, just a state of your phone.