Looking for audio CD burning software that will record artist name/song title to disk

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
The title pretty much says it all. I compile and burn songs to disk but am having difficulty getting the artist name and song title to show up during playback with media player in Win7. Sometimes I get the song title but not artist, getting "unknown artist" instead while at others I get "Track 1" and "unknown artist." I have tried Win7's built-in CD burning software as well as ImgBurn and BurnAware free programs. Before Win7, I used Nero and never had a problem making my own audio disks that showed both artist and song title during playback but the old Nero won't run on Win7. The new Nero I feel is too expensive and I haven't read any good reviews for it anyway. I also use Audacity for recording songs. Can anyone recommend a good, and hopefully free, CD burning program that will record song title and artist name and show them during playback? THX!

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    Have you tried CDBurnerXP?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    If you order Nero from Nero's website, they will discount upgrades. But try Kwitko's suggestion first.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    Haven't tried CDBurnerXP, but will. Thanks! I'll also check Nero's site for a price break. Thanks!
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Itunes can do it if you burn the CD from a playlist (ensuring that at least the artist and song title metadata is filled out), ImgBurn can do it if you select "create a CUE file" (it will pull from metadata as well), and CDBurnerXP also works.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    No luck so far. On the Nero front, my version is too old to qualify for an upgrade so that leaves full retail price. No thanks. Tried ImgBurn to "create a CUE file" and still ended up with "Track 1, 2, etc." and "unknown artist." I am obviously missing some step but I don't know what I've overlooked. I enabled file name and tag as well as custom, but still ended up without artist and title info on the finished burn. Any help in using the correct file path would be appreciated. I also struck out with CDBurnerXP. Guess I am not too good at this. :/
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Song title and artist are determined by the playing program's access to the CDDB song ID database. The player scans the songs and sees if it can find a match based on their run time and acoustic signature.

TLDR: Artist/song information is not hard-coded into the CD, whether you buy a real disc or burn it yourself.
    Did you actually confirm that the files in question have info in the ID3 tags? http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ can easily do that or just look at the cue file add option, put the files in the top again and then see if the tag option at bottom shows anything. I can make a more detailed walk through if needed.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    We need to determine if he's burning an mp3 data disc, or a CDA disc that functions as a normal audio CD.
    True story, though in my defense, my comment was written out before yours was visible to me (and CD-TEXT is most definitely hard coded into the CD, unless they just didn't put it in at all)
    Thanks for the follow-up. I am working with an MP3 data disc. I just downloaded mp3tag and will give it a go.
    Okay, I loaded the .CUE file I created in ImgBurn into mp3tag and the title and artist info for each track is displayed yet when written to CD, I get the "unknown artist" and generic track #. (Scratching head)
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited December 2012
    I use the Daum Potplayer for all my video and music needs. It should have everything you want. download.cnet.com/Daum-Potplayer/3000-13632_4-12199673.html Sorry, I just went through the entire settings on this and it doesn't record. It does a great amount of stuff but no record. :( I thought for sure it did.
    mmm you should just be using the CUE file in Imgburn itself. I was just suggesting MP3tag to check if your existing music had tags or not. I feel like this link might help you. http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToWriteOrBurnACDCDRThatIncludesCDTextWithImgBurn.aspx
    @Tushon.............That did it! I missed this part in the tutorial: Tip: Be sure to set the "Default CD-Text" for the disc and the track to pull from the MP3s ID3 Tags. Once that was corrected, everything worked as it should. THX!!!!!
    I knew it was probably something simple. Glad it worked!