USB 3.0 cable but no header on mobo?

Suggestions on how I'd solve such a problem as neat and clean as possible? My hope was that I might find an adapter that would connect to SATA, but I can't seem to find one. I guess option two might be an add in card of some kind?

To clarify I have a female cable connected to two front panel USB 3.0 connectors, but not male header on the mobo. Anyone else solve this problem before?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2012
    What brand and model case? That looks like a combo connector, not just USB. Too many pinout holes for just 2 USB.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited December 2012
    Well, there's two options here. One, presuming it's an individual pinned cable (which hopefully it is) you can in fact just use it on a USB 2.0 header no problems. There should be a diagram for USB 2.0 wiring, presuming it can use Vcc instead of Vbus. Not 100% sure on this though.

Option two would be slot-passthrough and adapter combo. You would need this adapter or similar, then just connect it to the rear USB 3.0 ports. It's not frawress victoly, but it's still pretty clean.

Edit: I would LOVE to know why your picture doesn't load in Firefox. Sigh. But yes, that's the key 11 connector that the 19 pin Cooler Master part adapts.
  • That's not the actual cable, I assumed it was the same, it's the header cable to a NZXT Phantom 410. This is a more accurate image.

My hope is to plug it up making everything as tidy as possible. If it's converted down to USB 2.0 I think it's going to be okay for this user. Can I actually kind of half plug it in to a USB 2.0 header on the board?

• allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    http://pinoutsguide.com/Slots/usb_3_0_connector_pinout.shtml

yep what u do is pull the plastic retainer that is around the usb 2.0 pin on mobo, and plug the first half of the usb3.0 front panel cable on it, do double check for the pinout on the mobo manual

if not just solder a cable extension 10 male -> 10 female , technically should be 9 pins on the mobo, u can get away with 8m->8f
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Or a cheap USB3 expansion card
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Or a cheap USB3 expansion card

Finally a use for PCIe x1!

• Same pinout and header type as for the cable I linked there. Standard 19 pin. Should just plug right in.
  • Thanks everyone. My hope is I'll be able to kinda half plug it and get USB 2.0 speeds direct from the board. This user only needs things functioning. @RootWrym - I like the idea of that adapter, but I'm afraid where the exit grommets are positioned on the rear of this case, I'd have trouble doing something that looks nice and neat. Good to know for other builds though, I might just order one and put it in the spare parts bin to keep it handy.

I've considered an adder card, but really wanted to avoid the $35 or so shipped I'm finding them for. I'll try to plug it in and get USB 2.0 out of it and report back.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited December 2012
    The 19 pin header won't go to USB 2.0, unfortunately. Dug into it a bit. The way it's wired is completely incompatible because of the Vbus change. You would need an adapting circuit of some flavor to connect it to USB 2.0.
    You know, like this. Which I probably should have linked in the first place but didn't notice. *sheepish*