All Programs Button is Missing Windows xp

Lately my computer has been doing a lot of weird things. Buttons and icons have started disappearing all over the place and i was wondering if anyone knew what was going wrong. I've enclosed a picture of one of the problems, but this is happening in so many other places. Even buttons on websites are disappearing.

PLEASE HELP SOMEONE!!!!

Comments

• My Emails have none of the subjects showing and only appear once i read them.

• I'd run a system restore
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Try Ccleaner. Run the Registry Repair.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    System restore, ccleaner as suggested. You could also run malwarebytes to check for viruses (do the full scan)
  • Thanks guys, I will try that out now.
  • Where is the registry Repair located on Ccleaner?
    Registry tab, run scan in the bottom left then fix on the right. You can save the changes if you want, but I have encountered precisely 0 issues with it myself.
  • Okay cool thanks, I'll do that now.
  • I used Ccleaner but had no luck. What should i do now?
    Did you try running Malwarebytes (with updated definitions)? You can also follow my directions here to and post the file output to pastebin or something similar (don't just paste them into the reply box).
    JBoogaloo
  • Did you do the system restore?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    System restores on Windows XP are basically useless, guys. It's a broken feature.
    Thrax said:

System restores on Windows XP are basically useless, guys. It's a broken feature.

Agree :/
  • I used to use them to fix people's computers all the time when wonky stuff like this happened.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    Repair install?
  • I'll give malwarebytes a go now
  • sfc /scannow
    might be good to run as well. just type that in a command prompt. It would be smart to have your XP install disc handy in case it asks for it.

You do have screwed up system files, and some sort of restore or repair install is going to end up being necessary I think.
  • Right so I've tried everything that everyone has said and all the problems are still persisting :(
  • Make sure hardware acceleration is turned on in your video settings.
    Next try control panel -> system -> advanced -> performance- > adjust for best performance
    Update your video driver (getting desperate here)
    Still screwed up?
    If you tried system restore, sfc, registry cleaners, etc. and your system is still bogus....
    my guess is the best thing you can do is backup, and reinstall everything.
  • Nope, didn't change a thing other than make everything look awfully similar to windows 2000 hahaha. And as far as re installing windows goes, I don't actually have a windows disk so that could be somewhat of a problem...
  • Try booting your computer in safe mode by hitting F8 when you first turn it on. If all your icons display normally in safe mode, we can probably fix your issue. If not, at this point it makes sense to reinstall windows.

If you know the make and model of your computer, you can contact your manufacturer and request a recovery cd. There are also third party sites out there that sell recovery cds for certain make/model systems.
    If it's a custom build and you lost your windows disk, or you if had an illegal license you will have to buy it.