Google defaults to Facebook...

I have been battling this issue for sometime now, occasionally (more frequently and prohibitively lately) any search in Chrome defaults to facebook, which obviously returns no results. This happens in Chrome and IE. The default search has not changed, msconfig is set to diagnostic startup, there is no clear reason why this is happening, or physical change in the software that would allude to why it is happening. It has been a year almost since it started and I am so tired of it. It continues to happen over various OS reinstalls and hardware builds, I have done a hard router reset, I have dumped all Chrome extensions (again, it is in BOTH IE and Chrome), and swithced AVs. Being logged into my Gogole account from various other computers does not replicate the problem, althought Chrome on my iPhone and my wife's android occasionally do the same thing (which made me think it was my home network). It seems to relate to https:// and akami sometimes, but not all the time. I am completely flummoxed, please help!

Comments

• GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    I'm not sure if this will help, and you may have done this a few times already, but try removing Facebook from the list of default search engines and set it to whatever engine you want.

Chrome: Settings -> Manage Search Engines

IE: Click the arrow to the right of the search box -> Change Search Defaults
  • Tried that, dumped everything but Google. Once I went into IE and moved Google to the top of the list and enabled address bar searching, it seems to have reset itself to working properly in both IE and Chrome, but I feel sure this issue will rear it's ugly head again soon. Soon....
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    You may have malware. You should run Ccleaner (and do the registry repair) as well as Malwarebytes.