Detroit ICHQ Food Directory

2»

Comments

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

OH MY GOD IT CLOSED ARE YOU SHITTING MY DICK RIGHT NOW

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

Added Original Pancake House, Amar, and Red Coat.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@Linc said:

• Motorburger (Windsor) - Requires passport. Ask mertesn what to not tell the border agents. $$

Hey, she asked the question and I gave an honest answer. It just wasn't the one she was looking for.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@Gnomequeen no, I am in fact not shitting your dick right now.

THIS IS THE WORST DAY EVER ALL I WANT IN LIFE IS BRUNSWICK STEW

Added Vicki's BBQ and Food Exchange

I HAVE CONSIDERED MAKING MY OWN BRUNSWICK STEW BUT THAT WOULD ENTAIL MAKING TWO OR THREE DIFFERENT TYPES OF MEATS AND THEN MAKING THEM INTO A STEW AND THAT SEEMS LIKE A SILLY THING TO DO

I had Brunswick Stew at a BBQ place in Georgia the other day :clap:

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

Someone disable Jackie's caps lock...

• Meh. Screw Red Hot & Blue. Red Smoke is better anyway.

Also, MEAT: Southern BBQ and Carnivore Cuisine.... but that's all the way in Lansing (and thus far more dangerous to my waistline)

@ardichoke said:
    Meh. Screw Red Hot & Blue. Red Smoke is better anyway.

Also, MEAT: Southern BBQ and Carnivore Cuisine.... but that's all the way in Lansing (and thus far more dangerous to my waistline)

Red Smoke is way better overall, EXCEPT the brunswick stew, which is to die for and I have never found as good anywhere else.

@mertesn said:
    Someone disable Jackie's caps lock...

I DO WHAT I WANT

LeahVoiceSazbean
  • georgehgeorgeh Canton, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2015

No HopCat? More importantly, no coney? Anyone visiting Detroit and not getting a coney is making a mistake. Oh, and Supino's seems noteworthy enough to include.

Ehhhhh I'm very lukewarm to Hopcat. It's almost a chain place at this point. It's a brodude sportsbar that happens to have a kabillion taps.

As far as coney, Lafayette should definitely be on that list, not sure why it's not. Oversight.

Supino's is alright. It's not an ICHQ favorite. It's just okay.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Lafayette Coney Master Race

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2015

@primesuspect said:
    Ehhhhh I'm very lukewarm to Hopcat. It's almost a chain place at this point. It's a brodude sportsbar that happens to have a kabillion taps.

I think Hopcat IS actually a chain.... they have one in East Lansing at least. A block from MSU.

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2015

Hopcat is a chain, in the sense they have multiple locations. However, they are owned by people in Grand Rapids, each location is a bit different in decor and theme, and they heavily support Michigan brewers and food producers. If you penalize Hopcat for being a chain, you would have to equally apply that to Buddy's Pizza or Sala Thai or any other numerous restaurant/bars that have managed to grow from a single location.

georgehMAGICWagsFTW

I'm not penalizing hopcat for being a chain so much as making it on a list that includes our "favorites" requires that we actually like that place. Neither of us has been there enough to warrant its inclusion on a curated list of places we recommend. I've been there once. I don't think Lincoln has been there yet.

Linc
    edited March 2015

What I've heard about Hopcat is that it's a typical 100-tap establishment: you go for the draft beer, not the food. Even if I did start getting beers there, I'm not sure I'd put it on anyone's short list when they're visiting. It just doesn't seem interesting.

I've upgraded Buddy's to a "nearby" favorite after realizing their Detroit location isn't far and is completely awesome. No more Warren treks for deliciousness. Been there twice this month.

Sazbean

Now I HAVE been to Hopcat for the food rather than the taps; the burger I had was fantastic and perfectly cooked. YMMV.

WagsFTW
    edited October 2015

For ICOK 2015:

• Added UFO Factory / Laika Dog (outstanding! we just tried it for the first time last week)
    • Added Jolly Pumpkin & Batch Brewing (many of you are already acquainted from Expo)
    • Removed Zenith (closed :( ).

Added Maya's Indo-Pak. Finally Detroit has a viable Indian option. Also they deliver. Also, it's close (walkable).

ThraxUPSLynxRyderGarg

I am reversing my position on HopCat on account of their mac & cheese being uber-legit. I think it's my favorite in the city currently. However, I do find it to be quite pricey. I only eat there for lunch when work is paying for it. Dinner is quite loud; did not enjoy that very much.

WagsFTW

ICNY food news: Johnny Noodle has just swapped their menu for the season.

Out: Udon Carbonera (</3) & Southwest #1.5
    In: Southwest #3 (better than 1.5 imo) and a couple others.

I hope this means Green Dot Stables (same owners) will be swapping their soups for the Chicken Paprikas again shortly. :cool:

UPSLynx
    edited April 2017

Added Hudson Cafe after a very positive ICSP experience.

Added 2 delivery options: Pie Sci Pizza (unique pizza next to Woodbridge Pub) and Slow's To Go.

Amended: Alley Taco's number changed.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Can vouch for Hudson. Good stuff.

Shake Shack is now open as well.