Windows 7 - Printer Sharing asking for password

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
I'm embarrassed to be asking this because it is so simple but somehow I just can't get it working:

Basically I have a new network of Windows 7 computers and I'm trying to set up printer sharing. When all of the computers have the same username and same password all works fine. The goal is to have a different password on each computer. Upon changing the password on the computer which is sharing the printer, those computers attempting to print to that printer no longer work. I then go through and re-setup the printer on the "client" computers and I'm then prompted for the password. I'll give an example below:

Computer which is sharing printer: office1, user: owner, pass: marv
Computer which is trying to print: office2, user: owner, pass: obrien
Workgroup: SERVICES

When i'm prompted for the credentials I enter what would make the most sense which is:

user: office1\owner
pass: marv

That doesn't work. Invalid credentials. So i also try every other conceivable configuration

User: office2\owner

User: office1\owner
pass: obrien

user: owner

etc., etc.

I've also tried giving the computers unique usernames in addition to unique passwords just in case Windows was getting confused by that or something. Shared network folders do not seem to have this problem. I'm also going to need to print from an XP computer to a Windows 7 computer, but I'll attempt that after getting 7 to 7 working.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Is there any reason why you can't set up this workgroup as a homegroup? Homegroup sharing of resources is so easy and straightforward as to verge on ridiculous.

I know there are plenty of things that might preclude homegroup use, but if it's available, it's wonderful.
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited February 2013
    I'll check it out. Not sure if that will work with this system or not. They do rely on a program that treats one pc as a host... shares a db across the network. I dont know if the homegroup would affect that. Do you have a brief overview of the differences between the two?