Home theater HDMI dilemma

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited March 2013 in Hardware
My Home Theater is showing its age. I have an older 46" Samsung tabletop DLP projection set that I actually still like. It may only deliver 720P but its picture is clean and I've never had any issues with the lamp or color wheel, I bet it has a couple years left in it.

Lately, I've become obsessed with simplification. Less remotes, less wires, speakers. I've gone from components with 5.1 down to a 2.1 set up. I'm finally ready to do some upgrades, but the cost of a new flat screen is not the priority. My TV occupies its tabletop fine, it looks good, but it only has one HDMI input.

I can see various solutions. First off, I'm running a 2.1 Denon DVD HTIB which has served admirably, but I think it's time for Blu Ray. I'd love to find a Blu Ray 2.1 HTIB with HDMI inputs, but the only one I've found is a Harmon Kardon and it's $900, way out of price range. I'd be working more with like $400 maybe tops. That would be my ideal solution.

I guess if I can't have that I can settle for a good HDMI switch, but I've never shopped for one. Anyone know something simple, reliable? If I can't find a good blu ray HTIB I could maybe use a good HDMI switch as a stop gap until I can get more saved. I'd like something that auto switches, meaning it senses whatever is on, maybe in some order of preference. One more IR input to program back to the remote would be a nightmare for my wife and kid.

I guess more than anything I'm just looking to have some home theater discussion, maybe share ideas on how others have simplified their set ups. I'm looking for a nice clean extremely simple install. Probably will have a Wii U, a Blu Ray player of some kind, a front virtual surround system of some variety, and my cable box. That's it.

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I use this for an HDMI switch. Works quite well, but doesn't auto switch. I control my entire setup with a Logitech Harmony 880 remote.

My receiver doesn't support HDMI either.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    Why not just get a Denon A/V Receiver and some $50 Blu-ray player?

usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productlanding.aspx?pcatid=avsolutions(denonna)&catid=avreceivers(denonna)&catalog=denonna_us

I got my Denon AVR-1312 on sale over a year ago for $139 and it has 4 HDMI in.

That leaves you some money to get 5.1 speakers ;)

• @mertsen - That switcher may provide me with a nice stop gap solution until I can afford everything I want. Thanks for the link.

@Fatcat - I've thought about getting a seperate AV reciver. I had one in the past to set up a pretty serious 5.1 set up. I can't really wire in wall, I don't want to run rears, so if I go the seperate reciver route I'll be looking for something that has an excillent 2.1 or 3.1 simulated surround mode. I can't argue with the price on a Denon model though, that's not bad at all. I suppose I could re purose the stero pair I have, but the are 4 ohm rated, so I'll need to select carefully.
    If you're going to go from 480p (DVD) to 720/1080p (Blu-ray) you owe it to yourself to have 5.1 or higher (I personally like 7.2) surround ;)

imo simulated surround is junk
  • I agree a 5.1 / 7.1 set up is preferred in terms of quality, I just can't wire it the way I'm set up right now. You know what though, you may have talked me into at least investing in an audio receiver again. Having the option down the road certainly does not hurt. I was kind of opposed to it at first because I felt like it would add more complexity to the set up and that it would probably blow out my budget too, but I'm finding allot of decent 5.1 receivers with multiple HDMI input's for under $200 online.

My Denon S-101 uses Dolby virtual speaker. You would be surprised how nicely it performs. It's not 5.1, but it does add a sense of space to the audio. I suppose I could buy a 5.1 receiver with Dolby Virtual and upgrade the speakers when I have a room I can fit 5.1 in again.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    For me personally, a receiver with HDMI switching would be what I purchase. They aren't things you buy often so future expandability plays a huge part in the purchase. Who knows what your living situation will be in 5 years. Why not have the option to expand down the road if you are able?
  • I'm considering a receiver allot more than I was at first. I guess with my Harmony universal remote, programming it for my wife and kid to use won't be that big a deal. There are some advantages to going HDMI in right at the amp, that way you don't have TV dumbing down the signal to optical somewhere in the process. I can't believe how many decent options there are for under $200, last time I purchased a 5.1 receiver about a decade ago it was $449 and I felt like I got a killer deal then.

I guess the only drawback is more wires. I had considered at some point I might eventually go flat panel and simplify to one of those Zvox base simulated surround pedestals. I suppose if I'm really creative though, I can manage wires, I mean I do it in my computer! Why one seem's more complicated than the other I'm not sure, just never really done a good job of managing the home theater clutter.
  • http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-NR1403-Slim-Line-Receiver/dp/B0081N916M/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362172719&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=manrantz+mr - Much more than I intended to spend on one component, but I'm leaning towards it. I like how they got rid of allot of the legacy connectivity. More receivers should follow this design.
    I just picked up this. A lot of people were having issues with HDMI switching on it but a firmware update seems to have solved the issue. Should be in on tuesday.
  • I actually picked up a 50" plasma screen with 3 hdmi inputs last night.
    only 50" :(
    We can't all have 9000000' projection screens @fatcat.
    Sonorous said:

We can't all have 9000000' projection screens @fatcat.

actually you can. 1080p DLP projectors are down to $699 and a $110" screen is only $219

so for a little over $900 you can be awesome like me :p
    As an AV technician that sets up projectors all day, the last thing I want at home is one. Any little deviation in the geometry would drive me insane. I'll gladly take a 50" plasma :nyah:
  • I'd love to go projection. My space isn't practical for it. In the store LED sets really pop. I'm glad I trusted my instinct vs the showroom. This plasma was an insane deal at $499. Deep rich blacks, no weird motion smoothing. Yeah, it's a little heavier and will cost me three dollars more a year to operate, but the picture is worth it.