Building a Computer! Round 2! Fight!!!

KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it.KCMO Icrontian
edited March 2013 in Hardware
So back in March of 2009 I built my first rig, and have been riding on its glory since. It was built on a budget and considering its a 5 year old budge PC its held up remarkably well. Unfortunately it is starting to show its age, and I've been getting that itch to build a new rig anyways. I want this build to be a gaming PC much like the first but this time around I want to add streaming capabilities as I think it would be neat to stream my Gaming Backlog of Shame.

I know as much about parts now as I did five years ago which is to say very little. Last time I built my computer I just kind of went off of NewEgg recommendations for parts that I thought was within my price range. But this time I have a goal in mind so I want parts that help fulfill that goal.

@PrimeSuspect was nice enough to send me a MOBO and CPU a couple months ago but I haven't put it to use yet. Of the few Twitch streamers I've been able to get a hold of most have recommended this as a capture card. Now, I have no idea if any of this is compatible, though I would imagine the MOBO and CPU are.

I am also thinking about adding a second monitor for A) the general convenience of two screens and B) streaming purposes. This is the monitor I was looking at; my current Acer has been doing just fine and I like to show brand loyalty from time to time, this would also be a slight size upgrade as well.

I have a friend that wants to buy my current rig for almost what I payed for it; he's being stupid generous and I'm not going charge him anywhere near what he's offering. Anyway saving parts from this PC is probably not going to be an option.

Budget isn't really an issue, though I don't want to be selling kidneys, as I won't be actually purchasing or building anything until the end of this semester which is in 8 weeks. By which time my new job with Google Fiber will hopefully be accruing money in my savings account.

And so madams and monsieurs of Icrontic I ask your opinions to help me build a Gaming PC capable of streaming some of the newest games available. Will you heed my call for aid?

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    First off the motherboard you listed is socket FM2 and second the CPU you listed is socket AM3. They don't work together.

Thirdly, that Acer monitor is way over priced.
    edit> just noticed that is a 3D monitor. Meh. I guess if you like seizures lol

If you absolutely have to have Acer, get this 1920x1200 IPS panel http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009384

I still don't recommend it though. For a few bucks more ($10-$50) you could get a nice Asus, Dell, HP or Samsung IPS panel

Personally I would pick the FM2 motherboard, get an A10-5800k and swank video card (HD7870 GHz comes to mind) and game away. The CPU in the APU are quite decent for gaming
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    Well the CPU was sent attached to the MOBO so I think it works as Brian tested them for a review. I do however worry that they might not be capable of high end gaming and streaming at the same time.

I'm not so much worried about the gaming side of the build, as the streaming aspect I want to incorporate. I don't know what kind of specs I would need to make both happen. I suppose @shwaip could help with this as I know he has streamed SC2 and D3 a couple of times.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    No, really, that motherboard and CPU don't work together.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    If you're going to be streaming you need a computer that can easily exceed the game requirements and then some.
  • Here is a good thread with the info that will help on streaming. Basically it's all CPU and RAM, so if you can beef up on those you can give yourself a 1080p streaming machine that can play Crysis.

http://www.xsplit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13243
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    What games do you want to stream? I can stream d3 and sc2 reasonably well with my system, but I also play at 2560x1440 (16gb ram, 1090t @ 3.9GHz). If you're going to be playing/streaming at 1080p or less, that card will be great for you, and probably make whatever cpu/ram you decide on sufficient. Make sure you check out "open broadcaster software". Significantly better than XSplit, and free.

PS, IPS monitor on sale here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236287&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL032613&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL032613-_-EMC-032613-Index-_-LCDMonitors-_-24236287-L0E
    Thrax said:

No, really, that motherboard and CPU don't work together.

Well, that's like, your opinion, man.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I'm pretty sure that's not the combo I sent because if I remember correctly, I sent a CPU in a motherboard. Not sure what you got from the parts pile, but it might not be that combo :D
    @Shwaip do you use a capture card for streaming? I 'm under the impression that the capture card is more for archiving videos and uploading them later to places like Youtube.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    Koreish said:

@Shwaip do you use a capture card for streaming? I 'm under the impression that the capture card is more for archiving videos and uploading them later to places like Youtube.

Capture cards can be used to stream or capture console games (or other sources plugged into it). You do not need one to stream or capture games on the PC itself.
    Sweet thanks. Saved me some money since I don't plan on streaming console or handheld games.
    I don't use a capture card. You can do it without one, but using one will reduce the amount of input/display lag (it is noticeable without one). Not using one also puts a huge load on the cpu. You can always build without one, then if it ends up being useful you can pick one up later.

Here's an example of what quality i get with my system:

http://www.twitch.tv/shwaip/b/307448039