WWDC - Any other Icrontians representing?

We should get together and discuss things!

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I like the price drop on the MacBook Air.
    The new Mac Pro completes Apple's efforts to make their systems unfriendly to upgraders. Badass design though.
    They should have used Sea Lion, then Dandelion.
    Memory compression...I liked it the first time when it was called DoubleSpace (and its many clones) back in the DOS days. It'll be interesting to see just how well it does with real workloads.
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    haha yeah, or "Thundercats"

#wwdc13 and #ios7 are pretty funny reads right now
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Mostly I'm just impressed you managed to get a ticket.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Indeed.
    edited June 2013
    why thank you (gone in 71 seconds!) yeah...I wouldn't have if it was on my own dime. i was hoping someone might be around here. I know that other places in CA are kinda far away
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Very impressed with the engineering that went into the Mac Pro, though I know it's going to cost a gazillion megadollars. Also, I feel like this is a last-ditch effort to get video pros back to Mac after they abandoned ship wholesale when Final Cut X blew goat's assholes. The choice of dually FirePros is interesting because Adobe Creative Cloud (CC1) is going to launch this month with full MPE support for FirePro. That trash-can (let's face it, it's ugly as shit) is custom-made to run Premiere Pro at 4K with data from the new REDs. It's almost a turnkey solution.

The cooling setup is freaking awesome.

iOS 7 is completely underwhelming. It's a paintjob on Every Other iOS™ with a some more new integrated app functionality. When you look at it from a meta standpoint, it's STILL just a mess of square icons on a small rectangle. There has been zero innovation.

OS X naming is stupid. Don't care.
    sharkydart
    edited June 2013
    Here's my brief unsolicited take on the keynote:

iOS7: I love the design. Probably the first upgrade I've been excited about.

Mac Pro: Brilliant design. Total surprise. Pretty astounding leap. Phil Schiller's "Can't innovate anymore, my ass" comment made me guffaw.

OSX Mavericks: Kinda a big shrug. Glad for the Calendar redesign - maybe I'll actually use it. Syncing passwords between devices sounds nice. Mostly, I'm too lazy to bother with third-party services like Pandora or 1Password so I welcome integration. I'm sure I'll upgrade because, hell, $20.

Air: Very fucking impressed by the battery life. A welcome price cut. I'd move to one if I could bear the tradeoffs.

Miscellany: Very intrigued at the iWork web version. I'm not a big fan of Google Docs (tho it sure beats Office), and Keynote is outstanding. This looks much more refined, and I feel like Google Docs hasn't gone anywhere in the last several years.

Overall, more than I expected, and I was impressed how little leaked ahead of time. They really know how to put on a great show.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    I like the new OSX. The sooner I can get it on my hackintosh, the better.

iOS7 looks like it may be just what I need to like my iPad finally. I've never really liked iOS compared to android, but at the time of my purchase there weren't any Android tablets that were in the same league as the iPad.

The Mac Pro is interesting. Epically if you look at the shift from power pc based systems to the x86 platform. I recall everyone being really excited about being able to upgrade their Apple products with out having to pay the huge premiums through Apple itself. There seems to be a bit of a shift back to that way of thinking where you can't really preform upgrades. I would love to talk to some of their analysts about what has caused them to revert back to this. I guess their customer base doesn't really find the need to be able to upgrade hardware important. Of course that has always been the major selling point of a Mac. You buy it and it works. No dicking around necessary.
    edited June 2013
    My theory is simple: they don't care about user upgrade-ability enough to compromise their design for it. I don't think they're hostile towards it, I think their indifference + miniaturization + time did it.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    Oh I don't think they are hostile either. It just goes to show that Apple does in fact know how their customers use the products the sell. Sometimes I sense a little disconnect between the two, especially in the mobile arena.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    iOS7 looks like Android
    Macbook Air finally has battery life
    OSX turned ugly and pulled in a bunch of features from popular 3rd party apps
    Mac Pro looks like a small desktop trashcan.

Actually, as much as I want to hate on the Mac Pro, I think the design is cool. I also think it belongs on the Mac Mini and not the Pro. Every Mac Pro user I've ever worked with has at least upgraded its internal storage and memory. In this, it seems the memory upgrade is easy, but there seems to be no provision for adding more storage. That means external storage drives over Thunderbolt or USB, which means 2 wires for ever extra drive, which means rats nest on your desk. And that in turn makes the Mac Pro less attractive. :/ I can just see our designer's old setup as a new Mac Pro... 3 external 2TB HDDs plus speakers, LAN, and a USB CD drive (Clients still love CD-ROMs?!)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    That's basically what I was thinking. "Hey, this box is SUPER pretty. There's no room inside for you, though, so we put really fast ports on the back!"

And sadly, I found nothing very intriguing about iOS7, but glad the iPhone users are getting a better-looking interface and some nice usability features.
    The more I look at this, the worse it gets. It looks like a Leap Pad or some kiddie thing. All the pastels and transparencies are just awful. Honestly, I feel like this design is below Apple's standards. It's so ugly.
    Tushon
    edited June 2013
    From a development standpoint, there seem to be a number of pretty good additions/improvements to the API(s), XCode, and objective-c/the way things link, build, & compile. But I guess this won't mean much if everyone rage-quits the platform over the design of the main interface!

For my personal mobile device, I've been happy with Android, so the "control center" of iOS 7 was nothing amazing, but I do see it as a healthy functional improvement. I'm not crazy about the design that went into the buttons, but the "3D" parallax effect is neat. I haven't installed iOS7 (beta) on any devices yet, nor have I installed "Thundercats." (Person in charge of accepting license agreement for dev account is holding up the show)

Most of the features of iOS7 that seem to be improvements rather than changes are aspects of the OS that were either streamlined and deobfuscated for developers, or expanded for them.

I hope the case for the Mac Pro will be made plenty sturdy, because feet are going to be propped up on it. The thing is tiny.