Recommendation for a message board program?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited June 2013 in Science & Tech
I have an idea. A good idea. A message board that does not censor or delete comments. Many times on Craigslist's' Rant and Rave section I have posted comments on a variety of subjects, but any idiot can come along and flag a post and render my hard work GONE. I really wish Craigslist would eliminate the ability to flag posts but they refuse. Some self-righteous 60 year old 500 pound A-hole sitting at home alone gets to be the judge and jury on what other people write and takes it on himself to delete posts. What's the sense of that flagging ability?

And the mods / owners here have limited tolerance for my opinions.

My own website ( www.loudmouthtim.com , for those of you who somehow don't know by now ) uses a proboards message board that I set up years ago, but it hardly ever gets used for some strange reason, so I haven't seen much problem with it.

I remember only vague details of when this site got its new layout, and there was talk about how hard it was to get it all set up and going.

I don't want anything fancy or complex to set up. I want something where I can assign forum titles and topics, create a simple HTML page to host it on, and go.

There'll probably be a wide variety of sections and subsections. And as I said, it'll be open and unrestricted. Politics, racism, sex, cars, home improvements, money, drug use, etc. The list goes on. I'm sure it'll catch on once people far and wide realize their posts won't get deleted. And yes, a lot of shameless self promotion for my site and videos too.

So what's a good message board program that costs as little as possible or better yet is free and ad-supported, and can scale up and take the load once a lot of users start hitting the site?

And how can I profit from this? Ads? Charge people a $1 a month membership fee once the user base grows for a while?
midga

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    Your cat has money to pay for membership?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    iframe of 4chan embedded in your website.
    ardichokeTushon
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    Oh, lord, if you set this up, it'll be a dark, dark corner of the internet.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    mertesn said:

So you want something that's free, powerful, scalable, and pretty much configured exactly how you want it out of the box. It should also come with a built-in revenue stream and a large user base.

I believe the software you're looking for is called FairyDust Powered by UnicornFarts. You'll probably want to look into the LazyAss plugin for automatic configuration.

Tim.txt
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Tim said:

There'll probably be a wide variety of sections and subsections. And as I said, it'll be open and unrestricted. Politics, racism, sex, cars, home improvements, money, drug use, etc. The list goes on. I'm sure it'll catch on once people far and wide realize their posts won't get deleted. And yes, a lot of shameless self promotion for my site and videos too.

So what you're saying is you'll be a haven for pirates, pedos, prostitutes, and pushers. Good luck with the government investigations!
    ardichokeTushonJokkeJBoogaloo
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    Nothing in the history of the internet has ever been attempted like this before. You're a pioneer, @Tim!

Said nobody ever.
    ardichokeTimTushon
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    Just use all the money you make from Bitcoin to hire some child labor.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    Kwitko - I gave you a lulz for that one. Good work! :D
    Kwitko
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    So what sort of message board would be best for me while being easy to set up?