As last year, I will be bringing my hand-crafted copy of Giant Catan to EPIC. There will be an 'official' game of Giant Catan on Friday at 2pm. It is scheduled for 3 hours because last year we learned that when you have four people controlling one color on a catan board, decisions can take quite a bit of debate. I'm going to try to limit turn times this year, but I'm not sure how well it will work, so make sure to give yourself plenty of time if you want to play. I'll be officiating the game and giving a play-by-play to the spectators.
I'll take the first 16 ins in this thread for the game, and teams will be randomized. (Note that this event overlaps the non-league MtG draft event.)
Since there is room on ICHQ property to play the game this year, it will be available for games outside of the official time as well. However, there are a few rules. Remember this set cost me about $700 and lots of hours to craft, so some care should be taken. In general all of the pieces are meant to be replaceable, but I still don't want to have to replace them.
- Let CB know if you want to play, just to make sure that no other plans have been made already for the set during that timeframe.
- Use the cones to help passersby know where to go to avoid the board.
- Watch where you step when on the board.
- Don't wear cleats or stilettos on the board, nor take beverages with you when you venture out.
- No more than one person should be out on the board at a time.
- As much as possible walk around the board, not over it.
- If it's going to rain, pack up the set. It's designed to be able to take a little sprinkling of rain, but a downpour would ruin some pieces.
- Be especially careful with the giant cardboard box. It may be the most fragile part of the whole set, and it also happens to be one of the more expensive parts to replace. Put it somewhere where it won't be stepped on and won't get wet.
- If something does happen to the set, let CB know right away.
- No sheep-fights
- When finished, count the pieces, put the set away completely, and return it to it's dry/safe storage location.
In general, just remember that the set is important to me, and be careful with it. I'm trusting you guys with my favorite possession. It may seem like I'm making a big deal about it, but I hope you all understand how important it is to me.
If you have any questions, or if you want in on the official match, post here.