If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Toes

TheRedburnTheRedburn Spaceman KDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited Jul 2013 in The Pub
Alright, so yesterday I was running up the stairs with @FreshyP and I thwacked two of my toes on a ledge. I crumpled instantly, and even after a few hours my pinkie toe still hurt, but it was only a dull ache. I went to bed expecting a recovery in the morning, but I was still limping. Any ideas? Should I see a doc?

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja I don't know how to not Icrontian
    Paging @HumerusMeg ... wat do..toe?

I broke a toe once and just let it be. Life is good, the toe just looks sideways. That may not be your best option.
    midga
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    Moved to the pub because you posted a medical thread in f@h.
    CantiCreeperbane2
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    I'm not a doctor.

Having said that, I've had this happen to me before. You probably just hyperextended the toe, which causes damage to the tissues (ligaments, etc). So it'll be pretty sore, and feel like a bruise that doesn't go a way for a long time.

Not a lot of bloodflow goes to the feet compared to the rest of the body, so injuries take longer to heal. Keep that in mind, and don't be surprised if it hurts for a while.

If you did break a bone in your pinkie toe, there isn't much a doctor would do. They would probably tape it to your next toe or two so it heals correctly, but that's about it. They won't put it in a cast or anything. So a doc visit would probably be a waste of time... UNLESS it turns all sorts of funky colors and doesn't go away after a few weeks... and even then it would probably still them just saying "yup, it's broken, tape it up... that'll be $1000 thx kbye".

Also, consider taking ibuprofen (it's an anti-inflammatory) to keep swelling down, and ice it or put it in cold water for 15 minutes or so every once in a while. That'll help with swelling.

Hope that helps, Redburn.
    kimono54RyanFodder
  • TheRedburnTheRedburn Spaceman K Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Alright, thanks guys. It isn't swelling much, and only hurts if I walk on it wrong. I guess I'll just wait it out, 'cause it doesn't feel broken...
    Thanks Meg!
    edited Jul 2013

I agree with what bandrik said.

Good to hear. I wasn't sure if I remember everything right, and I didn't want to give misinformation. Thanks for backing me up. :D

• LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Apparently his interpretation of this advice has been "hop around the house with only one shoe on and the injured foot in the air" :D
    JBoogalooGnomeQueenCantikimono54
    No, that's not true. I was hopping outside. I take pulls and have wrapped my toes
    Pills*
    Who needs medkits when you have PEELZ!!!
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Bandrik said:

Who needs medkits when you have PEELZ!!!

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    GWABBIN PIWS