If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Our Condo Has Ringworm :(

AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and HubrisAlexandria, VA Icrontian
Halp. What do?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Are those worms or termites?
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    It's a paint/wall thing. If you peel open on of the blisters it's white and grainy inside.
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Jul 2013
    Put a tarp down, put on a dust mask, scrape the hell out of it, then spackle/mud up the mess. Spackle if it's deep/smallish cuts, dywall mud if it's shallow & broad areas. That's a 30-minute problem at ICHQ :D

The bigger question is wtf is causing that? Best case scenario is that it's something stupid the previous owners had/did there (meaning it'll stop once you fix it). I'd guess water damage.
    ok, it appears to be a small bug of some kind eating the drywall, imo.
    IMO, it could be termites. I would call a bug dude.
    There was a termite inspection before we moved in that showed signs of previous treatment, but the home was cleared. Booo. I think you might be right and we should get someone else to look at it.
    Ryder said:

IMO, it could be termites. I would call a bug dude.

After googling around a bit, it's possible it is insects. Yeah, call an exterminator, don't take the chance.
    midga
    Andy: "My guess is Ryder is on the right tracks. My guess carpenter wasp or ant. Get them to cut around it, keeping wasp/bug killer nearby and take a photo of what's inside."
    midga
    FWIW, all the truly nasty awful insects don't appear to do anything like that. They all just make bore holes right out of the wall. I can't find anything about shit building circles in the wall.
    midga
    Ask the Exterminator says: "It appears to be water-related, rather than insect. It's already damaged, so cut it open and have a look."
    midga
    Ugh why did you buy a condo in the wrong state? I'd pop over with my toolbox and sort this out before you got home from work. :P
    ChoochAnnesmidga
  • Lincoln Russell -- Creator of Forums and Fixer of Houses
    Lincoln said:

FWIW, all the truly nasty awful insects don't appear to do anything like that. They all just make bore holes right out of the wall. I can't find anything about shit building circles in the wall.

Yep, that is where I was at when searching. It appears to be bugs because of the shapes, but I couldn't find any examples that looked anything like this.

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja I don't know how to not Icrontian
    How long ago were the walls painted? When did you start noticing it?
    Not sure when the walls were painted, my guess is the first week of April or the last of March of this year. Started noticing it about 3 weeks ago. Its definitely gotten worse/spread since then.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited Jul 2013
    If it makes you feel any better, yesterday my family found we had a colony of yellowjackets that had built a nest in our wall.

We found out when they suddenly began swarming on the INSIDE of our house. Wasps were everywhere. It was awful. :(
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja I don't know how to not Icrontian
    For it to get that bad in three weeks makes me think it's a regular moisture issue, not bugs. Maybe due to recent weather. But I'm not the best at this stuff, and if Andy said have an exterminator look at it then that's probably what ought to be done.

The circular shapes throw me for a loop. I'd want to blame circular drywall cutting tools, and poorly sealed patch jobs ... but that big one wouldn't make any sense.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    So it sounds like the best course of action is to cut into the wall and check things out. If bugs, get exterminator; then patch and paint time.
    Linc
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    That is truly an odd pattern. Leftover wallpaper glue wont do that, and even water damage doesn't create itty bitty circles that only expand the circles perimeter.

You're going to have to repaint here in any case, use a sharpie and start marking these to see if they're expanding.

Do what lincoln said. Don a respirator and start scraping away at that, is it wet behind?

So it sounds like the best course of action is to cut into the wall and check things out. If bugs, get exterminator; then patch and paint time.

IMO, yes to this.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Signal said:

Don a respirator and start scraping away at that, is it wet behind?

That's what she said.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    If it is a latex paint it could just be moisture that is slowly peeling it away from the wall without leaking through, the oddly symmetrical shapes kind of makes me thing it wouldn't be insects since their nests tend to be pretty randomly build when using tunnels.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Just think of it as playing surgeon with all the tools, but with little, if any, pressure.
    edited Jul 2013
    Consider there could be a leak in the wall either from the roof or condo above.

//edit: What room is this, and what's on the other side of those walls?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

Just think of it as playing surgeon with all the tools, but with little, if any, pressure.

make sure you get the machine that goes "boop...boop...boop..."
    BuddyJ
  • RexxarRexxar Maryland Icrontian
    I think it might be water damage to be quite honest. I found only one photo that looks sorta similar to what you have posted. I'm still boggled that some of the rings are literally a perfect circle.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/housingcomplex/files/2009/06/ambermcdonald3.jpg
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Good to hear that you won't be footing the bill for anything ;)
    Yay!
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    JBoogaloo said:

Good to hear that you won't be footing the bill for anything ;)

...well, kinda. Not directly, at least.

Yay for solved mysteries, though!