What do you think of this (Chromecast)

DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
edited July 2013 in Internet & Media
Google introduces Chromecast, a $35 HDMI streaming solution for televisions (video)  
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/24/google-chromekey/
it's a $35 HDMI dongle that mirrors content being played nearby on a tablet, smartphone or computer.

Comments

• SignalSignal Icrontian
    Just ordered one. Can't wait to try it out. I wonder if this could eventually give Roku some competition.
    DogDragon
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Kinda excited, but haven't pulled the plug on buying it yet. Of course, Amazon has a back order of 3-4 weeks now...
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Want.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    Signal said:

Just ordered one. Can't wait to try it out.

Let me know how it works. I may join you and get one if it easy and works like they say.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    If anybody wants to purchase it (affiliate link): https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromecast
    _k
  • I think I may pick one up for the bedroom TV. $35 is a sick deal for anything that is going to add that functionality. I'm a little skeptical on performance. How will such a small antenna positioned behind a TV with a rats nest of RF interference perform? I can't wait to see some reviews.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Neat idea, but have no use for it as I don't have a TV that doesn't already have a device hooked to it which performs basically the same function.
    _k
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Since the PS3 I would have used for this is going away, I grabbed one.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    I granted one from Google
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    @Tushon how many computers are in that house that could have been hooked up to the TV?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    _k_ said:

@Tushon how many computers are in that house that could have been hooked up to the TV?

None, because when I'm going through the tiny effort to watch a movie on that TV, I don't want a folding machine whirring away next to it.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    The concept is nice and look forward to seeing this evolve. The only advantage I see is that this is a great way to get YouTube on your TV. Roku doesn't really do it and my BluRay player handles YouTube very poorly. I'm really curious to know what it'll be reporting back to Google. In other words, is Google trying to enhance it's understanding of users to better market to them. The price seems to be cheap enough that I wonder if people who buy the device are the consumer or the product.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    It's Google. Consumers have always been the product.
    midga
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Been using this for a few months now and I can say this product is great. The neatest feature is the ability for any smartphone with the Chromecast app to send youtube videos to it. Great for when you have people sharing youtube videos and you don't want to be huddled around a tiny laptop screen or messing with XBoxes horrible youtube interface. Multiple people can send or queue videos to the device.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I got mine a while back. It's been sitting in its box completely untouched. =/
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Touch it. It's fun even if all you use it for is to get youtube videos on your main TV.

Makes me wonder why Netflix never came out with anything like this or at least brought up this idea to any big name electronic makers.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    See, that would be cool, but my TV never gets switched off the input that my computer is on. I got the thing to use on trips in hotel rooms, but it later occurred to me that with shitty hotel internets that almost never even let me stream Netflix on my laptop anyway, it would likely end up spending the trip in my bag.

I figure I'll eventually get an adapter to use it on my projector or a monitor or something, and then it'll get some use.
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Ah, that would be different. I have mine hooked up to my home theater which doesn't have a computer hooked up yet.