Photo-a-week, Pics/discussion thread for 9/1, Bugs

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
This is the thread where you should post your picture for the 9/1 Bugs theme.

Post the pic, as well as any additional information you'd like to add. Some examples would be:
camera / lens used
any interesting setup information
something you wished you could have improved
something you think turned out really well
etc

Need to host a picture? I recommend flickr.com over imgur. Flickr keeps the exif data intact, and does some resizing automagically. For resolution, I suggest 1024 pixels on the longest side.

(this thread is also serving as a reminder because it's been a couple weeks since I set up the calendar)

Comments

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited August 2013

Used my phone for this actually. I found him while I was mowing the lawn just standing on top of my trashcan. Smallest one I have found before around my house, but I have found ones 4-5 times larger. It has hard to tell in the photo but he was only 1-2 inches long and rocked back and forth a lot, I guess trying to be intimidating.
    shwaipSonorousoni_dels
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Cool! I saw it before you moved it to flickr, it looks like you might still be fixing your post? @d3k0y
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    d3k0y said:

Used my phone for this actually. I found him while I was mowing the lawn just standing on top of my trashcan. Smallest one I have found before around my house, but I have found ones 4-5 times larger. It has hard to tell in the photo but he was only 1-2 inches long and rocked back and forth a lot, I guess trying to be intimidating.

shwaip said:

Cool! I saw it before you moved it to flickr, it looks like you might still be fixing your post? @d3k0y

Without the image for context this is pretty amusing.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited August 2013
    Fixed! I kept using the link button and not the picture button and couldn't figure out why the picture wouldn't show up.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    Old photo of mine. I'll have to dig through my Picasa library to find some other bug shots I have.

Make:EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
    Model:KODAK LS743
    Shutter Speed:1/6 second
    Aperture:F/3.0
    Focal Length:6 mm
    Date Taken:Jan 21, 2004, 9:02:00 AM

shwaiponi_dels
    Sonorous said:

Old photo of mine. I'll have to dig through my Picasa library to find some other bug shots I have.

Make:EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
    Model:KODAK LS743
    Shutter Speed:1/6 second
    Aperture:F/3.0
    Focal Length:6 mm
    Date Taken:Jan 21, 2004, 9:02:00 AM

*snip*

I like it. Looks like you got a bit of camera shake though. Not to surprising at 1/6s shutter speed :)
  • MarushkaMarushka cambridge, ma Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    Used evan's camera, shot through glass. I *think* i got the focus right, but done again I'd use a smaller aperture.

DSC00758
    Annesshwaiponi_dels
    edited September 2013
    This guy landed on my hand!

This guy landed on my hand while I was out taking pictures. Figured if he was posing, I should take some pics. I upped the contrast a bit to pull him out from the background.

It was kinda tough to get the picture because he landed on my right hand. Given the chance, I'd up the ISO and get a bit more DOF, but it was hard enough to take the pic lefty.

Also de saturated the blues a bit to get the bkgd out of there.

edit:

exif:
    canon 50d
    canon f/2.8 100 IS
    f/5.6
    1/320s
    iso 400
    oni_dels
    Marushka said:

Used evan's camera, shot through glass. I *think* i got the focus right, but done again I'd use a smaller aperture.

DSC00758

Lookin good mlady. It was a bit dark in the museum, so probably hard to get the aperture smaller.
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    Buuuuug
    Tis the time for the mantis, eh? Just a little brightening up/sharpening, but found this one out on the bush today:

shwaiponi_dels
  • BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian
    From my butterfly garden. They spray for mosquitoes so often that we don't get many butterflies. Each one is appreciated.

photo IMG_5029-C_zps7195ab95.jpg

Canon PowerShot G9, f/4.8, ISO 200, 1/320 sec.

SonorousStraight_Manshwaip
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian

Got this one a couple years ago. Not the best camera, but this one turned out really nicely (with no editing).
    shwaip
    Great butterfly pics, all.

dat mantis, nullenvoid.
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    almost died trying to stop while skateboarding. i think it was dead though cause it didn't move and was dry :(

taken with an iPhone 4, the lazy man's camera
  • MarushkaMarushka cambridge, ma Icrontian
    @shwaip, something about the automagic resizing either from flickr or from icrontic is not locking the proportions on your bug pic (maybe others, but your bugs eyes change from ovals to circles so its pretty clear.) I'd like to see it as you intended me to, but cant here. is that something that can be fixed or do people have tips for how to best insert a pic from flickr so that resizing happens but dimensions are constrained?
    Marushka said:

@shwaip, something about the automagic resizing either from flickr or from icrontic is not locking the proportions on your bug pic (maybe others, but your bugs eyes change from ovals to circles so its pretty clear.) I'd like to see it as you intended me to, but cant here. is that something that can be fixed or do people have tips for how to best insert a pic from flickr so that resizing happens but dimensions are constrained?

You're right, i'm not sure why it's being resized in a weird way. Seems like it might be something with icrontic. @lincoln might have an idea