ICMC: The Restart II?

Comments

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Continental Shift: Start a new continent
    d3k0y said:

Immersion?

Care to elaborate? I fail to understand how there is anything immersive about that. If you want to be isolated from the original town then simply walk through the door and don't look back. Taking a 10 minute cart ride down a track (that will be so extremely time consuming and resource expensive I can't imagine will ever be built) or just walking through the Nether forever isn't really necessary. If your concern is that people will bring over tons of stuff from the current town and ruin the experience of a fresh server consider these things.

1. Making a long trip to get there isn't going to stop anyone from doing that. If anything it encourages them to bring things i.e. armor to survive the trip.

2. Forcing everyone to make this huge trip to get between towns just because some people might be dicks is a terrible solution to a nonproblem.
    midgaBandrikUPSLynx
  • Server Wipe: A whole New World!
    I don't think this needs to be a discussion about logistics. Digi and I will work those out... in fact I already have an idea for handling the logistics of a continental shift in mind.
    ErrorNullTurnip
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

I don't think this needs to be a discussion about logistics. Digi and I will work those out... in fact I already have an idea for handling the logistics of a continental shift in mind.

Maybe not server logistics. I do think it'd be much more fun if there was a day we all struck out and generated the new place as a group than to have it done before-hand. Not sure if that was even a consideration, but figured it couldn't hurt to say something preemptively.
    BandrikUPSHitman
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    Server Wipe: A whole New World!
    Bandrik said:

It sounds like we're leaning towards the continental shift idea. I think we should discuss and determine if we would like to add fast-travel teleport points to our game.

Overview:

I fully agree we should have a "frontier" experience in the New Icrontinent, and to get there I support having a fun adventure though the Nether to make a long-ass road to the new land. There we can enjoy that "clean slate" feeling and start fresh.

...at least, for the first week or so. After that, how do we show newcomers the fruits of our labor in the Old Icrontinent? Giving tours is perhaps the crown jewel of our server, which would be very much dampened if it takes 15 minutes or more just to go back to meet someone at spawn.

Three proposed options:

1. Basic pair of teleporters: a teleporter set that goes between the existing ICTown and some central point in the new continent. You step on a pressure plate to activate the teleporter and WOOSH you're there.

2. Teleporter room: the above, plus have a room in the existing ICTown that has a group of teleporters that each take you between various landmarks in the Old Icrontinent (I've seen other servers do teleporter rooms like this). The point of this is to help ease the end-game retirement of the Old Icrontinent, thus I'm not suggesting a teleporter network in the New Continent.

3. Teleportation commands: the above, plus allowing us to /spawn to warp to Spawn, and /home to warp where we set with /sethome. I understand if this is too convenient but it sure would be nice.

Digi, and everyone else... what do you think? I feel strongly for having teleporters because I think it would simply up the "fun factor" for everyone, but it's up to y'all. I'll enjoy whatever we go with.

Why bother with plugins, command blocks are where it's at!
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    Canti said:

d3k0y said:

Immersion?

Care to elaborate? I fail to understand how there is anything immersive about that. If you want to be isolated from the original town then simply walk through the door and don't look back. Taking a 10 minute cart ride down a track (that will be so extremely time consuming and resource expensive I can't imagine will ever be built) or just walking through the Nether forever isn't really necessary. If your concern is that people will bring over tons of stuff from the current town and ruin the experience of a fresh server consider these things.

1. Making a long trip to get there isn't going to stop anyone from doing that. If anything it encourages them to bring things i.e. armor to survive the trip.

2. Forcing everyone to make this huge trip to get between towns just because some people might be dicks is a terrible solution to a nonproblem.
    My thought process was more of, if you want to visit the old town with a teleporter you just go "bloop" and you are there, to me it kind of disconnect you the world and spacial awareness of where things are you are just THERE. If you make the trip actually take a trip regardless of length you stay immersed in the world and aware of the distance the two are apart from each other.

“It is better to travel well than to arrive.” ~ Buddha

That kind of sums the whole idea I had up. Again I voted for server wipe, I'd like to just start fresh and do everything over again, being able to just pop back to your old house should be simple for nostalgia, not for easy mode tools. Making the trip take long as hell like you said just encourages people to think about what to bring and actually put thought into what they feel is important to their time in Minecraft and not just "fuck it I can just come back and forth till I get everything" as they would with a teleporter.

Granted I may be a bit bias, as like I said I didn't spend nearly as long on this server as others, so maybe I just want everyone to be as screwed as I am when it comes to progression.
    d3k0y said:

Canti said:

d3k0y said:

Immersion?

My thought process was more of, if you want to visit the old town with a teleporter you just go "bloop" and you are there, to me it kind of disconnect you the world and spacial awareness of where things are you are just THERE. If you make the trip actually take a trip regardless of length you stay immersed in the world and aware of the distance the two are apart from each other.

“It is better to travel well than to arrive.” ~ Buddha

That kind of sums the whole idea I had up. Again I voted for server wipe, I'd like to just start fresh and do everything over again, being able to just pop back to your old house should be simple for nostalgia, not for easy mode tools. Making the trip take long as hell like you said just encourages people to think about what to bring and actually put thought into what they feel is important to their time in Minecraft and not just "fuck it I can just come back and forth till I get everything" as they would with a teleporter.

Granted I may be a bit bias, as like I said I didn't spend nearly as long on this server as others, so maybe I just want everyone to be as screwed as I am when it comes to progression.
    Right. No. I don't have time to play Hold The 'W'. I don't play the game for hardcore survival. And frankly, for anyone who wants to spend the time in the game, getting back to the point of craptons of resources won't take that long anyway. I really don't see any value in increasing travel time, especially if we're going to have a "primitive" period anyway.

And I agree about the journey vs the destination, except this isn't a journey, it's holding W and occasionally pressing spacebar to make a program show you one set of pixels instead of another. If I want to travel well, I'll go take a walk.
    BasilBandrikUPSHitman
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    The rough idea I have in my head right now is as follows:

Patiently wait until server updates to 1.7

Event to build the tunnel from the Nether Hub out to new world portal (Possible to do before the update)

Event to light the new portal and venture forth as a group. Explore the new land.

Possibly start to consider adding teleports.

Will detail out the plans as the time gets nearer.

Mine on!

-Digi
    BasilErrorNullTurnip
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    Yo Digi, If you need a tunnel dug, I can craft up a ton of stone picks to donate to the cause, my quarry has gifted me more stone than I could ever need.
    midga said:

Right. No. I don't have time to play Hold The 'W'. I don't play the game for hardcore survival. And frankly, for anyone who wants to spend the time in the game, getting back to the point of craptons of resources won't take that long anyway. I really don't see any value in increasing travel time, especially if we're going to have a "primitive" period anyway.

And I agree about the journey vs the destination, except this isn't a journey, it's holding W and occasionally pressing spacebar to make a program show you one set of pixels instead of another. If I want to travel well, I'll go take a walk.

So don't run back and forth 10 times? A single 10 minute trek through the game isn't going to amount to a fraction of a percent of the amount of time you will be doing other stuff in whatever the new location is going to be. The only way this will eat up enough of your time for this to be a pain in the bum for anyone is if they are running back and forth to cheese mode items, which was my point. With the point of getting back to craptons of resources being super easy why would you even want to bring anything with you. If you don't want to take "the journey" because it isn't really a journey why even hoof it? I am sure BobbyDigi or Adichoke can just TP you to the new town location when we find it.

Hell, if your argument is simply "making a program show you one set of pixels instead of another" what is even the point of playing. I am pretty sure getting this game to show you one set of pixels over another is the entire foundation of Minecraft.

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I don't want to idle for 10+ minutes because some people think the rest of Icrontic can't hold up to an honour system (Why you would think otherwise in the first place makes me raise questions) for less than a week.

I want to build the Icrontiwest with friends, you want to run in a straight line for 10 minutes do it, don't expect others to subscribe to the 'immersive' route for no other reason than you not trusting people to drag their shit with them.
    GnomeQueenmidgaUPSHitmanBandrik
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    I'd prefer to spend that 5% on more meaningful interaction.
    This is going to sound snarky, but you are in fact playing a video game.
    Linc
    Sonorous said:

I'd prefer to spend that 5% on more meaningful interaction.
    This is going to sound snarky, but you are in fact playing a video game.

Meaningful is relative here, but yes, that is a true statement.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

I can tell you that having a required 3-10 minute travel time between the worlds will kill the server faster than anything else has before it. We're saving the server because people do want to see the old stuff. It's not just 'move to new continent, never look back' for a lot of people. Accidentally dying and not wanting to travel back if you've forgotten to set spawn at new world, wanting to show a new player around, heck, even moments like "hey guys, come to IC Town to see X!" would all stop happening because nobody is going to bother when they have to waste all the travel time. People will get bored, people will stop playing.

Agreed! I dont want a long ass trip just to go see my tower of pain! Also I love the week caveman period idea.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Jackie wants teleports. I've had servers with them before-- you set home and the spawn one is automatic--and it was really helpful and not immersion breaking. I mean.....it's Minecraft. We're not playing a high art RPG here.
    UPSHitman
  • Server Wipe: A whole New World!

Jackie wants teleports. I've had servers with them before-- you set home and the spawn one is automatic--and it was really helpful and not immersion breaking. I mean.....it's Minecraft. We're not playing a high art RPG here.

Well if Queen Jackie wants it, I'll get right on it. :P
    CB said:

What is even going on in here?

A drama bomba over absolutely nothing. Same as always with Minecraft. It gets really old and makes me question why I put as much time as I do into keeping a server running.
    ErrorNullTurnip
    UPSLynx said:

I can tell you that having a required 3-10 minute travel time between the worlds will kill the server faster than anything else has before it. We're saving the server because people do want to see the old stuff. It's not just 'move to new continent, never look back' for a lot of people. Accidentally dying and not wanting to travel back if you've forgotten to set spawn at new world, wanting to show a new player around, heck, even moments like "hey guys, come to IC Town to see X!" would all stop happening because nobody is going to bother when they have to waste all the travel time. People will get bored, people will stop playing.

Wiping the entire server would alleviate people dying and being sent back to the wrong spawns as well as new players needing to travel to get to the correct place =)
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

Well if Queen Jackie wants it, I'll get right on it. :P
    CB said:

A drama bomba over absolutely nothing. Same as always with Minecraft. It gets really old and makes me question why I put as much time as I do into keeping a server running.
    Perrfeeeect. So glad you're finally realizing how amazing I am.

Also we love you and all the work you do Ardiiiiii. <3
    ErrorNullTurnip
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    I agree with pretty much everything said by @midga, @Ilriyas, @UPSLynx, and @GnomeQueen.

@d3k0y, I understand where you're coming from. But I have a hard time seeing Minecraft as an immersive experience whose magic is not be broken. The joy of building and adventuring together is what brings people in, not running everywhere just because that's what reality is like. Reality sucks.

Even if we had a instant-travel teleporter hub AND had /spawn and /home, we would STILL have to do quite a lot of hiking. It won't kill the sense of adventure. Mountains are still there to climb, and caves below to explore. Cutting down needless travel time will just make things more enjoyable for us all to have fun bullshitting around in pixelland.
    I don't see how this is considered drama. There was a poll put up asking for our thoughts on what we should do and we are discussing it. I don't think we have moved to backstabbing, scheming, or name calling yet.

It is pretty clear we are doing the continent shift, I am just putting in my thoughts on making it seem like the world was deleted without actually deleting it.
    UPSHitmanUPSLynx
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    Stop talking about teleports.

For the rest of this thread I reserve the right to edit, up to and including deletion, your post to make you look like a fool for not listening to my all powerful Digiboner.

-Digi
    BasilPirateNinjacolaRahnalH102
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    This post is reserved for future being made to look a fool by the all-powerful Digi. :D

It is hard to make a fool of a man of your gentlemanly stature sir.... Instead Under the Sea (Including the requested Harp Carp) -Digi

d3k0y said:

I don't see how this is considered drama. There was a poll put up asking for our thoughts on what we should do and we are discussing it. I don't think we have moved to backstabbing, scheming, or name calling yet.

It is pretty clear we are doing the continent shift, I am just putting in my thoughts on making it seem like the world was deleted without actually deleting it.

Agreed. I thought we were just having a good discussion.
    ardichoke said:

CB said:

Drama? I have seen very little Minecraft drama in the last year or more. We have you and Digi to thank for that <3. No one's complaining about the awesome job you do with the server. We're discussing our gaming preferences and how it relates to what's currently going on with the server. If it seems heated, it's just because we care.
    BobbyDigi said:

For the rest of this thread I reserve the right to edit, up to and including deletion, your post to make you look like a fool for not listening to the all powerful Digi.

-Digi

Psh, right, Mr. Magicstick. ;P

GnomeQueenBandrik
    edited September 2013

I like Eggs
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    BobbyDigi said:

For the rest of this thread I reserve the right to edit, up to and including deletion, your post to make you look like a fool for not listening to the all powerful Digi.

-Digi

I love Tele.............

visions, YOU THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO SAY IT DIDN'T YOU!!! :crazy::nudge::digi:

--

Nope!

-Digi
    UPSKingpin
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

If you feel that way about it, then why do you do it? I mean, it's not like we don't care enough about the game to have opinions and preferences on it.

That is why we have discussions, after all.
    UPSHitman
  • Continental Shift: Start a new continent
    UPSHitman said:

I love Tele.............

.... tubbies?