Square Cash: voodoo magic

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
http://allthingsd.com/20131015/the-money-is-in-the-email/

If this works as advertised, ciao PayPal.

Comments

• This is awesome, my only fear is the UX. There is no pre send verification. I mean it doesn't say "you are about to send X to Y, are you sure?". So if you aren't on a trusty level with Y, and you accidentally add an extra 0...hrm. All the same, I'd use this with close friends and family without a doubt assuming I can keep my email password secure and unknown.
  • This doesn't seem to be much different to me than Google Wallet's ability to email money. Except that Google Wallet only works with GMail accounts of course.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

This doesn't seem to be much different to me than Google Wallet's ability to email money. Except that Google Wallet only works with GMail accounts of course.

There's the rub?

Seems cool to me.
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian
    In sweden we use an app called "Swish".
    It let's us tranfser money within seconds to another person no matter what bank they use.
    It's perfect for when several people go for lunch together, swish the money to one person and he pays with his card.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Overheard in a back alley near you...

"Hurry up and Square me that $50 you owe me, bitch... before I punch you Square in the face."
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    In the Netherlands, I can just send however much money I want to anybody if I have their bank account; it's free and no problem with a phone app. You have to know their account number, but not much different from knowing their email. (There's no stigma with giving out your bank account number - you can't do anything with it without tertiary verification except deposit money. Wouldn't work in the US.)
    To me, giving out my bank account number is terrifying. I mean, that allows anyone to deposit money into my account! Imagine, checking your balance and there would be MORE there than you expected! Isn't that just horrific?!
    PinkGHoosdum
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian
    @Bandrik: It keeps me up at night...
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Dwolla is a local company that started in Iowa a few years ago. It's already taken foothold in most of the large cities here. Smaller restaurants and street vendors take Dwolla payments because it's cheaper than processing credit cards.
  • I like the method of use, just CC Square's email address.
    edited October 2013
    Pink said:

@Bandrik: It keeps me up at night...

It actually happened to me once. Checked my balance and I had $100,000 more in my account than expected. I was like OMGWTFDUDEMONEY!!!

Turns out it was a bank error, and was corrected rather quickly. And it hasn't happened again since. =(
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Bandrik said:

Overheard in a back alley near you...

"Hurry up and Square me that $50 you owe me, bitch... before I punch you Square in the face."

There is a show on NatGeo called Drugs Inc, they profiled a group of dealers in an episode who where more than happy to share that they accepted credit cards through Square (Implied by the device they showed, was not explicitly stated)for their product. That takes balls from both sides to make that deal.

-Digi
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Actually, that's smart*. They don't get busted for tax evasion, which is a felony.

*Dealing drugs is not smart.