i7-4770K build

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited November 2013 in Hardware
I'm contemplating the following build and would appreciate some input and opinions. To refresh my system usability needs, I do mostly AutoCAD with a little gaming on the side. I also enjoy overclocking. I will probably pull the trigger on the bulk of the order on or around black Friday.

This is what I have in mind -

Parts to purchase:

CPU - Intel Core i7-4770k
CPU Waterblock - Koolance 380I
Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Hero
RAM - G.SkillTrident X Series 8gb (2x4gb) DDR3-2400 cl9 or 16gb (4x4gb)
OS - MS Windows 7 sp1 64-bit OEM
SSD - Samsung 840 Pro Series 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal

As far as memory, I like the low latency high speed set I picked. I would have preferred DDR3-2666 cl10 but I can't find it available anywhere. I'm also considering the 4x4gb kit as well. The price also seems really right and I'd hate for these to run out of stock on me so I may get them early.

The OS is Win 7 only because I still run AutoCAD 2010 and Win 8.1 won't run it. I may get AutoCAD 2014 later on, so my question becomes, can I move the Win 7 OEM to another machine and replace it with Win 8.1 on this build at a later date, perhaps in the near future @Thrax?

Suggestions are welcome. This system will put me at a price point to afford R9-280x or GTX-770 not far afterwards. I just also to be sure that what I do purchase will have a full cover waterblock before I order.

Edit://

um ...ask me anything - AMD - November 6?

Our Guests from AMD will be-

• Robert Hallock, PR Manager for Enthusiast GFX and Gaming
• Ritche Corpus, Director of our ISV Relations & Alliances Team
• Devon Nekechuk, Product Manager for Enthusiast dGPU
• Dave Nalasco, Senior Technical Marketing Manager
• Shane Parfitt, Technical Marketing Manager for the Display & Power Technologies Domain
• Roger Quero, Technical Marketing Manager for the Multimedia Technologies Domain

Thanks in advance,
csimon
midga

Comments

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    @Thrax Top name billing, nice!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    If you like OC, (and depending how crazy you are), you'll want to delid the processor.

At that point, you need to decide if you want to put the IHS back on (coollab liquid ultra is the current best replacement tim for between, i beleive). Need to be careful about getting it on the surface mount components.

You also have the option of not replacing the IHS. If you want to do that, you might need to take a look at if the waterblock you select will work without it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    @csimon: I don't have experience with Windows 8, so I can't really comment on the navigating licensing/software pitfalls like I could with Vista/XP to 7. Keep the 290 (non-X) in mind. ;)

@midga: I arranged the AMA at their request, so I guess I got the spotlight!
    midgacsimon
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2013
    Thrax said:

@csimon: I don't have experience with Windows 8, so I can't really comment on the navigating licensing/software pitfalls like I could with Vista/XP to 7. Keep the 290 (non-X) in mind. ;)

@midga: I arranged the AMA at their request, so I guess I got the spotlight!

What was the policy for Windows 7 OEM, was it doable (transferable)?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Seems like a really solid build. Is AutoCAD memory hungry? I opted for 16GB, but most use cases should go with 8 (16 for multiple eve clients + browser tabs + another game frequently).

For the license, according to the EULA you can only install it on one machine and is non-transferable. In practice, if you are "rebuilding" your machine and it's staying in your possession, there is an easy and automated system in place for reactivating the key.
    csimon
    edited November 2013
    Tushon said:

Seems like a really solid build. Is AutoCAD memory hungry? I opted for 16GB, but most use cases should go with 8 (16 for multiple eve clients + browser tabs + another game frequently).

AutoCAD in and of itself isn't so memory hungry unless I'm heavily multitasking and such, of which I don't do much of when at home. At work is the opposite and that's where trusty xeon & bulk memory come in.
    Tushon said:

For the license, according to the EULA you can only install it on one machine and is non-transferable. In practice, if you are "rebuilding" your machine and it's staying in your possession, there is an easy and automated system in place for reactivating the key.

You must mean the dreaded reactivation phone call when the operator recites a string of 256 characters for you to replace ...that's cool with me if it works!

If I knew this Team Xtreem 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2666 C11 kit would do DDR3-2400 c9 I would jump on it. I just don't see any 8gb sticks for sale that will do it.
    edited November 2013
    csimon said:

Thrax said:

What was the policy for Windows 7 OEM, was it doable (transferable)?

Sort of. The letter of the law says it should only be installed on one system at a time. The spirit implies that a change in motherboard, or "heart" of the system, invalidates the license. Nobody is going to knock down your door either way, however.
    edited November 2013
    Thrax said:

@csimon: Keep the 290 (non-X) in mind. ;)

Oh, you betcha. Especially after seeing a review like this one @ overclockers. AMD R9 290 Graphics Card Review
    Dear Santa,

I have been a good boy all year and I would like one of these VID-AR290X Water Block (AMD Radeon R9 290, 290X) to go along with one of these R9290-4GD5 along with the rest of the stuff at the top of the thread. That is all.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    The 4770k is actually a really great folding processor. I am getting a 14k-20k range on ppd for it. Plus during the winter it makes an ok space heater, equivalent to a standard electric space heater on a per wattage basis.

The reactivation phone call can be done through an automated system that requires spoken word confirming it is just on one computer and then the remainder of the number inputs is done through num pad entry. Give yourself 15 minutes and you will be activated.
    _k_ said:

The 4770k is actually a really great folding processor. I am getting a 14k-20k range on ppd for it. Plus during the winter it makes an ok space heater, equivalent to a standard electric space heater on a per wattage basis.

The reactivation phone call can be done through an automated system that requires spoken word confirming it is just on one computer and then the remainder of the number inputs is done through num pad entry. Give yourself 15 minutes and you will be activated.

What kind of overclock and voltage are you putting to the 4770k for that ppd?

edited November 2013
    None. I have the turbo mode turned off that is all.

Should be all you need. As a starting point.
    _k_ said:

None. I have the turbo mode turned off that is all.

Should be all you need. As a starting point.

Isn't that like pulling your underwear up above your bellybutton? Just sayin'.

edited November 2013
    Nope. Might be completely wrong on this, @Tushon.

Turbo is going to be looking at the load, temperature, and current power draw to decide if it can spike cores on frequency. Normally this causes a slight rotation of cores moving up and down on their frequencies. Overall it keeps the entire processor from actually being at 100% by design because it isn't suppose to be for 100% load but partial load, still supports some multi-threaded applications in this manner though. There is actually an overhead required to compute when turbo should be running and where.

....I pull my compression shorts and biking shorts over my belly button. What are you trying to say? -_-

Running f@h on those GPUs with the client-type beta flag so you pull core 17 WUs will give you insane ppd.
    AFAIK, better performance for folding and other multi-threaded, max utilization programs is had by disabling any "automated" performance handlers like Turbo mode and manually finding the best voltage/clock speed mix.

I wear a biking bib ... what are you trying say, @csimon ?

I just changed my r9 290x to beta :)
    _k
    edited November 2013
    Ah. So I should be perfectly fine folding on all cores/threads
    Tushon said:

AFAIK, better performance for folding and other multi-threaded, max utilization programs is had by disabling any "automated" performance handlers like Turbo mode and manually finding the best voltage/clock speed mix.

Ah. So I should be perfectly fine folding on all cores/threads with all "performance handlers" disabled and a stable overclock/vcore voltage, along with gpu folding on beta, correct? Are you setting flags on the cpu as well?

I just imagine overclockable cpu's at default speed as redundant in a sense. But, whatever suits you is fine with me.

I wear crotch rocket underarmor

edited November 2013
    csimon said:

Tushon said:

Ah. So I should be perfectly fine folding on all cores/threads with all "performance handlers" disabled and a stable overclock/vcore voltage, along with gpu folding on beta, correct? Are you setting flags on the cpu as well?

I just imagine overclockable cpu's at default speed as redundant in a sense. But, whatever suits you is fine with me.

I wear crotch rocket underarmor

I think that is correct. I set the client-type > advanced "slot option" for the CPU and beta for GPU. That's all I have setup. ~150k PPD from my GPU atm, variable for CPU from 15-18k when I've checked recently. I need to figure out if I'm going to sell parts or fix my "server" rig and get it running again.

True fact: I went to a concert yesterday where the intro was a monologue about how babies are made (it involved people being buried together to ferment, volcanoes and god shooting sperm?) by a man in a Lucha Libre outfit (like below with full cape and shirt as well)

I also have some skepticism toward you actually owning that skin suit thing.
    midga
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Tushon said:

There's only one way to settle this. IN A STEEL CAGE!
    mertesn said:

Tushon said:

There's only one way to settle this. IN A STEEL CAGE!
    On motorcycles!
    edited November 2013
    Actually mine isn't a monosuit, the bottom and top are seperate. If I were to pull my bottom up above my bellybutton however, it would give me the worst type of nutgina. Too much information actually, so I tried to simplify it.

clad in armored underwear?

What's it going to take to get the server running again? At the rate of Tbonz you may want to consider that. (seems you already have that covered)

Edit:\\ must have the full cape & shirt actually.
    At this point I'm inclined to just push back on the Haswell scenario until the refresh is available, and go with the R9-290 + waterblock & perhaps some Gelid GC-extreme.
    edited November 2013
    I'm also looking at Broadwell (14nm), but it looks like it may need a new chipset and won't be out until late 2014.

I have a 4.2GHz Bloomfield chip, however, and not a single chip released in the ensuing years has been more than a few percent faster. I imagine I'll be on Bloomfield forever.