MoCa Adapters - pros and cons?

I currently have my entertainment system running through my desktop PC. I use Windows 7 MCE as my DVR, and Xbox 360s as Media Center Extenders. Right now the 360 Slim in the living room is mostly stable on Wireless N to pull down HD video from the PC. (I use an RT-N66U router, and they finally released firmware that is Xbox compatible).

My other 360 is a Jasper generation, so it has no WiFi, and I have no ethernet runs outside of my office where the PC is stationed. I've been looking at methods of connecting this 360 to run it as a Media Center Extender on another TV. I bought a set of ethernet over powerline adapters, which failed me completely. Now I'm considering MoCa adapters.

What are the pros and cons of MoCa in general, and for this application? Are there any other alternatives I should consider? My main drawback to MoCa is the price. I can't seem to find a set of MoCa adapters for less than $100 a pair, and a new 360 with WiFi would only run $179, but it's never easy for me to achieve WAF on replacing old hardware.

Comments

• SignalSignal Icrontian
    If you can sell the old xbox for $80 first, the $100 you were going to spend on MoCa adapters can buy the new 360.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2013
    If only I could! It seems that the current value of the pre-S 360 is somewhere around $20, if buyers even exist.
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    edited December 2013
    Buy a WRT54GL, slap DD-WRT on it. You know have a 5 port wireless adapter.

Edit: Cost $50
  • I actually have a wireless G router with DD-WRT in a box doing nothing. Is it possible to stream HD channels and recorded .wtv files to a media center extender over wireless G successfully?
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    edited December 2013
    Good point. It won't do 1080p (very well) but 720p should be fine.