Mouse recommendation

My G5 is crapping out. Amazon has the G500 as a deal of the day for $40. Is this a good replacement? I read some complaints about quality issues: noisy capacitors in the mouse (I thought this was a joke but I'm reading a lot of it so there are caps in mice now I guess), lens on laser coming lose and messing with mouse read, finish on mouse running off after 6 months (finish can't last forever and I know it will vary with use). Any other mice I should be looking at? I want something that has roughly the same shape as the G5 as it fits my hand perfectly, or the M510 which I use for work, fits my hand nicely (fat fingers).

Anyone have the SteelSeries Sensie or Raw? Do you recommend those? They look pretty good.

Comments

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I highly recommend the RAT 7. Dunno about those others.
    Bandrik
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I have the SteelSeries Diablo III mouse and it's working perfectly for me since it came out. It's down to about half of what I paid for it when I bought it.
    oni_delsBandrik
  • I use the older G500. Sensor is good, software is solid, and it have my favorite scroll wheel on any mouse. The weight and balancing system to me is a little lame. Just creates some extra clutter in my desk drawer. The side buttons are passable. I prefer them a little larger. I preferred the old look, the look of the G500s isn't my bag.

I ordered a SteelSeries Sensei Raw frost edition during Black Friday promo. I have yet to receive it so I'll have to pass along my findings later.

I have a couple friends who swear the Cooler Master Recon is the best deal in gaming mice. For sub $40 it looks like it's hard to beat if you don't mind an ambidextrous design.
    Bandrik
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    @Cliff_Forster How are you liking the Sensei Raw? Considering buying it even though it's not on sale, now that my mouse has bit the dust.
  • @Signal

I would say for me it's a little more form than function. It looks nice on my desktop, for an ambidextrous mouse it has a nice length so resting your hand over it feels natural even if you are used to a large right handed mouse.

I'm not in love with the side buttons, they could have been placed a touch better and their feedback when clicking could have been a little nicer. If you don't use the side buttons for critical gaming functions not a deal breaker, but I tend to program them to crouch and dash so I used them a lot.

The scroll wheel is perfect for fps games, it's quick to switch weapons, for browser scrolling it's not my favorite. I was so spoiled by the G500's ability to change how the scroll wheel behaves on the fly. I kind of miss it.

The sensor is top notch, tracking is incredible, adjusting the sensitivity in the steel series engine software is a breeze and quickly switching between your high and low sensitivity settings is a piece of cake on the fly. Personally that it only permits two settings per profile, I think that's a huge plus. Toggling between more than two is a pain inside a game. Light on, high setting, off low.... Simple, got your sniper rifle out, click it, put it away click it again and start moving around. It tracks beautifully.

I'd say it's a sold B+, it's not perfect, but it's not a bad option at all.
    SignalBandrik
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Thanks for the review Cliff. Just ordered one as it has gone back done to $40 on amazon. With 1 day shipping I'll have it in time for the Steam wallet rape.
    Cliff_Forstertrooster89
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    So after using this mouse for 2 weeks now I can say I love it. There are only two complaints on the Sensei.

1. The scroll wheel does not tilt.
    2. Side buttons are not raised or have any guidance to help your thumb find them.

However, even with these gripes, the mouse is wonderful. Tracking is excellent and the software (even though it's not required) is great. 9/10 would buy again.
    Cliff_Forster
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    That original G5 with the cracked blue texture on it? That has been my absolute most favorite mouse to-date, and it's right next to Leinenkugel's Apple Spice beer on my list of things I really wish they'd make again.

I'm currently using the G500 previous to the current version (it has what looks like acid-stained metal (coloured, lightly textured plastic) on the main surface) and liking it pretty well, but would go back to my G5 if I could get replacement sliders for it.
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Yes! I loved the look and feel of the blue cracks. Most comfortable mouse ever. I almost ordered another one from ebay. You can get replacement sliders on Amazon.
    midga