If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

What's good in New Orleans?

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian
edited Jan 2014 in The Pub
I'm planning my first trip to New Orleans in April. I'm wondering if anyone from Icrontic is from or familiar with the city? Any suggestions on sites to visit? Places to eat? Blue's bars? Museums? Anything at all, it's something I am just kinda throwing together on a whim and we want to get the most out of a few days spent there.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I don't know a ton, but here are a few recommendations:

Standard "have to go to": Cafe du Monde. There are a few locations, but I think this is the original one. Lots of art and music nearby. Someone may correct me. There will be a line, but it will not take more than 20 mins to get through, get some delicious coffee and beignets. Depending on how much you'd normally eat for breakfast, you may want an order for each of you.
    Cafe Du Monde
    800 Decatur St
    New Orleans, LA 70116

A great lunch/dinner place: will be edited in if I remember or my friend responds.

If you enjoy drinking, there are lots of bars with live music on Bourbon Street, but don't know about quality. I was pretty drunk the only time I've been there :) Go far enough down and you'll hit strip clubs and other seedier parts of the strip.

Cliff_Forster
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    Definitely eat at Palace Cafe. And check out the jazz clubs on Frenchmen street. I will work on a list for you of other places to go.
    Cliff_Forster
  • BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian
    Lots and lots good places to eat. We found the New Orleans Hamburger and Seafood, 541 Decatur, on our last visit. Try the thin fried catfish, even if you don’t eat catfish. And an old favorite: Mother's Restaurant, Poydras St at Tchoupitoulas St, for traditional New Orleans home cooking. There is always a line, but it moves fast. It’s all about the food. Don’t eat anything that you can get at home.

The French Quarter Festival is April 11-14. There will be more music venues than normal then. But any time, you can stroll through the Quarter and listen at the doors. When you hear what you like, go in for set. I like jazz more than blues and not normally New Orleans Jazz, but there is almost always something that I like.

We also like the art galleries along Royal St. This is usually the most expensive part of any visit to New Orleans. Be careful. They know more about what stuff is worth than you do.

Have a great time.
    Cliff_ForsterWagsFTW
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited Dec 2013
    If I had to recommend something it would be starting at Jackson Square because it is the central to everything you are looking for.

There are so many things/places within walking distance including Cafe Du Monde, Jackson Brewery, Crescent City Brewhouse, in between art galleries, artists in the square, museums, riverboats, and especially horse & carriage rides for you and April. Take a streetcar if you want to venture away from there and you can always get back the same way.

Maybe go to Rodrigue ( 1944-2013), since he was only buried last week. It is in the vicinity as well (just behind St. Louis Cathedral).

Recommended Seafood:
    ACME Oyster House: 724 Iberville St, New Orleans, LA 70130
    Walking distance from Cafe Dumond & St. Louis Cathdral (the square)
    or
    Drago's Seafood Restaurant: 2 Poydras Street, New Orleans, LA 70130
    Nationally famous grilled oysters on the half shell (copied everywhere)

In a nutsack - you can see & have as much of what you're looking for by traveling on foot from the square as a central location.

Follow your NOLA

Fifty FREE Things to Do in New Orleans

And don't forget French Quarter/Bourbon Street.

Wikipedia disclosure: "New Orleans and its French Quarter are one of only a few places in the United States where possession and consumption of alcohol in open containers is allowed on the street."
    Cliff_Forster
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    PORT OF CALL

GO. RECEIVE BURGER. THANK ME LATER.
    Cliff_Forster
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    Abita (Brewery) is in LA. I didn't get a chance to look into a tour while I was in NO but... If you are out and are offered a 25th Anniversary Vanilla Double Dog, Do It.

"The Strongest Drink on Bourbon St" is basically an Everclear slushy. If that's your thing, coo.

As stated above, Cafe Du Monde, Have a funnel cake :-)

I had a $50 Filet at La Boca. I was a very nice restaurant. Might need reservations on the weekend. I am not a connoisseur of fine restaurants let alone in NO but it was an amazing Filet in an intimate setting that would be perfect for a "date" type outing.

-Digi
    Cliff_Forster
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    I love Icrontic, this is the place where people know stuff about stuff. Outstanding guys, I appreciate it. This will be huge help in planning.
    UPSLynx
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian

Had the fried dough and French market coffee at the Cafe Du Monde this morning. Having a fantastic time. The Frech Quarter festival is going on. Taken in a couple Blues bands, some bluegrass, a few brass bands. I have had a good sampleing of Abita beer, and we had a Jungle Juice slush with everclear in it and both got a little snookered yesterday afternoon. I think drinking in public is the answer for world peace.

Port of Call and La Boca are both on our list for the weekend. Thanks again everyone. We are having a great time.

UPSLynx
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian

Glad you are having fun. Don't forget Acme Oyster.