Linksys bringing back the classic WRT design

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/linksys-resurrects-classic-blue-router-with-open-source-and-300-price/

This is the kind of router that could actually get me to drop 300 bucks. Plus, it seems they're embracing Open Source alternate firmwares instead of trying to lock them out. Anyone else excited?

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    50% higher price than "comparable" Asus or Netgear devices for the "premium" or having supported open source? Dunno. Spending $150 on my ASUS RT-N66U was already stretching what I thought was reasonable, but I also have no AC supported devices at this time.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Admirable, but the pricing is ridiculous.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    "We caved to the pressure, but it will cost you dearly."
    Signal
  • You may not have any AC devices at this point, but what are the odds you'll have some in the future? If you're due for an upgrade, like I am, might as well get one that will last an extra generation amirite? At least that's how I'm going to justify the cost to myself.

Plus, the 128M flash and dual core 1.2GHz processor should make it possible for OpenWRT to really pack in the features on this thing, and eSATA & USB3.0 should enable it to be a passable home fileserver.
    I hope it takes off, but the feature set already exists in other devices. My mentioned router has USB file server capabilities and can push out a variety of content as a media server (though I haven't used it, so I don't know how well it works). The RT-AC66U is $190.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but it just seems like a really high price point to grab some early adopters. I don't think it will sell well there.
  • Tushon said:

I hope it takes off, but the feature set already exists in other devices. My mentioned router has USB file server capabilities and can push out a variety of content as a media server (though I haven't used it, so I don't know how well it works). The RT-AC66U is $190.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but it just seems like a really high price point to grab some early adopters. I don't think it will sell well there.

I'm sure the price will drop fairly quickly. Also, the router you mentioned isn't AC, doesn't have eSATA, only has USB 2.0 and I can't find any specs on it's flash size or CPU, nor can I find what type of RAM it uses (the Linksys is DDR3)... so can't really make a fair comparison there.
    edited January 2014
    ardichoke said:

Tushon said:

I'm sure the price will drop fairly quickly.
    Your criticisms of my comparison are correct, but what are consumers going to see in the end: $300 vs $190 or less. I agree that the price will likely drop, but a great market intro could be huge for that sort of product. I guess their issue will be hard to recoup any money on router hardware vs selling phones at a loss and recovering on the ecosystem/data a la google.

That being said: I've been that early adopter that purposed (maybe overpriced) hardware before to encourage companies to continue making that sort of product.
  • I don't think a $300 router will ever have mass consumer appeal. This is solidly an enthusiast product, and I am enthusiastic for it!
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Neat! But wow, that price...
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    ASUS RT-N66U @ BBY here I come.
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Regardless of wireless standards, price, USB, and RAM, I like that they are bringing back the classic look.
    midga
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited January 2014
    ardichoke said:

I don't think a $[price] [hardware] will ever have mass consumer appeal. This is solidly an enthusiast product, and I am enthusiastic for it!

Fixed for just about every office hardware argument I have ;)

edit: Sometimes I'm embarrased to admit I work with other engineers...this argument is one of them.
    midgaardichoke
    The price does turn me off, but dem features...
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    So tell me, what extra exciting features could this router take advantage of with its superior specs, besides the eSATA and USB 3.0?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Could conceivably serve as a torrent box. It's sufficiently powerful.
    Thrax said:

Could conceivably serve as a torrent box. It's sufficiently powerful.

To build on this idea, basically you can (in theory) build a smart NAS by adding software and attaching one or more hard drives. If I hadn't just purchased a new router I'd be all over this one for that reason.
  • With that powerful of a processor, it could also make a good VPN server. Always nice being able to access everything on your home network while you're away (without poking a bunch of holes in your firewall).
    mertesn