Icrontic ARMA 3 SRS Realism (ALiVE mod)

IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy CanadianToronto, Ontario Icrontian
So, basically @UPSLynx and myself have recently both being massive fans of military simulators decided to begin playing ARMA 3 together.

We also concluded that we'd like to role play it (Use callsigns and junk) because that can add a level of depth and fun to the game, especially in the middle of travel. Another bonus in the above would probably result in a tighter crew, better operation proficiency and generally feeling like a bunch of bad-asses.

Anyways recently the 'tactical realism' servers I've played on are either on a massive scale or no one at all uses microphones (I've gotten lucky on the servers hosted by American Military companies, really awesome people.) which sort of ruins the experience for me.

Recently however I found a youtube channel Devildog Gamer which is an Ex-US Marine and his buddies playing various games, most notably ARMA 2 and 3 with some realism/mission mods thrown onto the servers.

The main thing I found through those videos is their ARMA 3 server using said realism mods the Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment which is, from my understanding a mission mod that takes the simulator nature of the game and turns it up to an 11 with realistic squad loadouts and evolving objectives.

The mod from what I've found sounds absolutely awesome and after selling it to @UPSLynx we've decided to install the mod and try out their server, the only thing we're missing however is an actual squad. Sure we can have fun running around doing whatever but in a squad the level of realism and general fun in using callsigns and military jargon will increase as well as giving us a really fun absolutely awesome mil sim to play.

Any number of people who are interested are welcome to play but as of TF2 drunken shenanigans and trying to 'buy Origin on Steam' I seem to have an extra copy of ARMA 3 which I'm willing to give away, for free to any interested individual who would be willing to participate in our Military Sim shenanigans.

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    For anyone interested, know this is a very different type of shooter than what you may be used to. The pace is slow. Really slow. And one mistake could end it immediately. Think DayZ but even slower and with just as bad consequences, if not worse.

But that is to say, if this is your style of game, then this is INCREDIBLY fun. Gameplay is dynamic, you have to be ready to react, and you have to trust your friends to do the right things. It's very unpredictable and the moments of excitement are through the roof.
    Ilriyas
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I would love to play an actual tactical war game with peeps. I was hoping that BF3 would have been that game, but it didn't turn out that way and the IC server kinda piddled out.
  • RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    That sounds pretty fun, actually. Sounds like sort of like a multiplayer S.T.A.L.K.E.R type of deal. I'd love to join, but I can't drop $60 on a game right now. I'd request the free copy, but my gaming hours are rather slim at the moment and it makes more sense to give it to someone who's actually able to play. Just jot me down for interested but not fully committed.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    Ah, tactical realism - I know thee well.

Not sure I have the time commitment to do this right now, but I'll be keeping my eye on it.

If you're bored, I recommend looking up ShackTac, in particular Dslyecxi's channel and watching their videos on ARMA 2/3. They have a pretty happy balance of ultra-realism and "it's a game, play" mentalities going on and they've contributed to the development of ARMA3 directly. Cool guys.
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    This seems really fun. I've watched a few of Dslyexci videos, seems like a good time, but $60 is a bit too steep for me right now.
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    So this is on sale for $36 on Steam right now. Is this still being actively played by people?
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    We haven't actually started, @UPSLynx and I have been notoriously bad at getting a group together or even duoing it.

I found two good servers however (One is run by 7Cav, may or may not be actual military guys though I know some are retired, and the other is a server run by /v/ they're fairly serious in their play and they host operations daily) hope to get started soon.

Now that I'm out of school Lynx and I are actually planning to start playing this.

We're hoping to get on the /vg/ server, the guys play fairly seriously but it's all to add to the fun of the simulation. Only problem is getting all of the necessary mods installed.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Got all the mods installed. We'll give this a shot soon. Scout's honor.

Ilriyas
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Can has list of mods?

-Digi

@BobbyDigi‌

The article itself exists on ARMA 3 General on 4Chan's /vg/ board.

The other night Bobby found one of their links to be BTSync, which allows you to download, and have constantly updated all the game files.

http://pastebin.com/7ca37zw0

The link to the guide is above, if you set up BTSync then that saves a lot of time and the potential to make a mistake.

The ACRE mod for Teamspeak however needs to be installed separately.

• RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    edited September 2014

So did this hyper-realistic war simulator game group ever end up happening?

primesuspect